Instead of juice...

Options
So every morning I have a bit of juice (orange) to take my pills with. This is obviously a no-no and it ramps up my carbs quite a bit. I can't take them with water as the taste of them makes me gag, and these are pills I'm going to be on and have been on long-term. Any ideas what I could take them with that is less sugary but still flavoured enough that I can't taste their ucky-ness?

Thanks!!

Replies

• domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try ginger and sparling mineral water. What you do is grate a knob or two of ginger then steep it in boiling water. When it cools you can add some of it (to taste) to a cup of sparkling mineral water.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I do not think a half cup of 100% juice a day will kill you... Unless you are doing Whole 30 , it is not that frown upon to drink that much juice.
    Yes, it increase your carb a bit, but paleo/primal doesn't necessary means keto anyway.
    If you drink coffee , you can take it with that. I gave up coffee for the past few weeks, and it has been awesome for me.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened ice tea, water with a squeeze of lemon, almond milk, just to name a few.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    V8 is a no no I presume?

It doesn't ramp up blood sugar.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    V8 is a no no I presume?

Yikes! According to MFP database, one can serving of v8 juice is 14 g carbs and 9 g sugar.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    V8 is a no no I presume?

Yikes! According to MFP database, one can serving of v8 juice is 14 g carbs and 9 g sugar.
    That is the 12 floz large bottle = 1.5 cup of fluid. Nobody drinks that amount just to swallow some pills. Even one cup is too much for that purpose, half cup is plenty for that, which is 1/3 of that amount, not a big deal IMHO.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Instead of OJ, I like drinking lemon wedge squeezed into water with a few drops of stevia. Sugar free lemonade with all the vitamin c!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What about a probiotic drink? That way you can pick any flavor and have the added benefit of getting a few sips of probiotics in each day without having to think about it. I like the lemon ginger. 45 calories per 8 oz serving. One 16 oz bottle could last you 5 days or so.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    V8 is a no no I presume?

V8 is a highly processed food-like item. Not food. Isn't the point of Paleo to avoid the processed, big name non food items?

I can't offer much useful advice since I don't understand choosing to drink fruit juice but depending on your health situation the sugar may indeed matter. A lot. It does for me.

One thing I choose to choke down every day is fermented cod liver oil/butter oil. My secret: grin and bear it, swallow it down, but I take it right before supper so the taste will quickly be covered by my delicious food.

As mentioned above, probiotic drink like kefir might be worth a try.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Organic herbal tea is nice. There are so many flavors to choose from. My favorite is green tea chai. Good luck!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    V8 is a no no I presume?

That is the 12 floz large bottle = 1.5 cup of fluid. Nobody drinks that amount just to swallow some pills. Even one cup is too much for that purpose, half cup is plenty for that, which is 1/3 of that amount, not a big deal IMHO.
    Exactly. Yesterday I had a 35 calorie (5grams of sugar, 1 fiber) can of V-8.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

V8 is a highly processed food-like item. Not food. Isn't the point of Paleo to avoid the processed, big name non food items?
    RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE BLEND (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICES OF TOMATOES, CARROTS, CELERY, BEETS, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), NATURAL FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID.

PS: note that I assumed it was off limits to someone following palo. I like it. :-)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE BLEND (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICES OF TOMATOES, CARROTS, CELERY, BEETS, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), NATURAL FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID.

PS: note that I assumed it was off limits to someone following palo. I like it. :-)

V8 is a highly processed food. "Reconstituted"… what's in the water (fluoride, other industrial contaminants?); what's the quality of the veggies used? and highly refined salt. "Natural flavouring" can be any number of crappy stuff. There are many food additives that industry has been able to get around labelling by calling it "flavouring" or seasoning or whatever. Since everything on the planet is technically "natural" that's how they can avoid listing what the substances they used really are. If they listed them we might not buy them so.... I'm not arguing that you like it or can't have it, but this is a Paleo group and that is not a Paleo food, so I wouldn't' personally recommend others to consume it, even if I liked it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

V8 is a highly processed food. "Reconstituted"… what's in the water (fluoride, other industrial contaminants?); what's the quality of the veggies used? and highly refined salt. "Natural flavouring" can be any number of crappy stuff. There are many food additives that industry has been able to get around labelling by calling it "flavouring" or seasoning or whatever. Since everything on the planet is technically "natural" that's how they can avoid listing what the substances they used really are. If they listed them we might not buy them so.... I'm not arguing that you like it or can't have it, but this is a Paleo group and that is not a Paleo food, so I wouldn't' personally recommend others to consume it, even if I liked it.
    And again: the FIRST THING I said was that it probably wasn't allowed.
    As for "you don't know what's in the water...or the veggies" I know enough paleo folks to know that many eat in restaurants... even chain restaurants...
    Dude, he was asking for options that wouldn't ramp up his carbs so much. I proposed one acknowledging that it was probably a no-no, or verboten, double plus ungood, whatever you'd like to call it. nothing more, nothing less.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to swallow tablets with a mouth full of food rather than liquid. Just a suggestion, chew up a mouth full of what ever you are having for your meal, and just before you swallow, pop in the tablet and swallow. Like you I just can't do it with water...gag, lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I find it easier to swallow tablets with a mouth full of food rather than liquid. Just a suggestion, chew up a mouth full of what ever you are having for your meal, and just before you swallow, pop in the tablet and swallow. Like you I just can't do it with water...gag, lol.
    That's an interesting one. I find it easier if I fill my mouth with cool or warm water and plop the pills in then.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

As for "you don't know what's in the water...or the veggies" I know enough paleo folks to know that many eat in restaurants... even chain restaurants...
    Dude, he was asking for options that wouldn't ramp up his carbs so much. I proposed one acknowledging that it was probably a no-no, or verboten, double plus ungood, whatever you'd like to call it. nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not a dude. And please stop taking information/opinions personally (I do it sometimes too). I only pointed out that it is highly processed. At first glance the ingredients seem ok until one considers what they mean and how industry is allowed to mislead. We all choose exceptions and treats but when providing advice in a Paleo forum, I think it makes sense to stick to Paleo recommendations especially considering some people may be new to the lifestyle. Which is just my opinion.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm not a dude. And please stop taking information/opinions personally (I do it sometimes too). I only pointed out that it is highly processed. At first glance the ingredients seem ok until one considers what they mean and how industry is allowed to mislead. We all choose exceptions and treats but when providing advice in a Paleo forum, I think it makes sense to stick to Paleo recommendations especially considering some people may be new to the lifestyle. Which is just my opinion.
    Best of luck on your journey.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What about a probiotic drink? That way you can pick any flavor and have the added benefit of getting a few sips of probiotics in each day without having to think about it. I like the lemon ginger. 45 calories per 8 oz serving. One 16 oz bottle could last you 5 days or so.

^ This. I take my daily supplements with either water kefir or kombucha (We brew both.)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    "Natural flavor" came up in conversation tonight. I haven't researched it, but someone talked about how natural flavors in some soda pops are derived from some beaver gland and (I think they said chemicals derived from) the animal's urine. Natural raspberry was one of the flavors mentioned. Eeew. I wonder if it's true, or if it's an urban legend.

(After all, both beaver glands and urine are "natural".)