PreOp visit - what do you wish you'd thought to ask?

Options
My preop visit is next week and I thought I'd reach out to all of you to see what you wish you'd thought to ask before the surgery. Something to help you get ready or to stock up in the house? Something to have on hand when you get home? How long until ...(insert whatever)?

I just remember when I had some hand surgery a couple years ago thinking afterwards that I just sort of assumed certain things and life might have been less frustrating if I'd been better prepped and asked better questions.
Thanks,
Sue

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I ask all my doctors and surgeons the same questions we are asked. Do you smoke, do you drink alcohol? How much, how often. What day do you like best for surgery (differences in surgical teams) And do you use any sort of drugs. My RNY SURGEON ANSWERED TRUTHFULLY. And was pleased that I asked. After all, I want my surgeon to be well rested and in control when he takes control of my life during surgery.

I also asked how much intestine he was bypassing and why. Surprisingly the amount pub asset vatrries a lot! Not an issue for sleeve patients
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What size bourgie do you use and why, (sleeve only. Helps determine the size of the pouch).
  • bundycat
    Options
    I never asked about the complications that Could Happen and wish I did as I ended up with a few different complications and didn't expect it as I thought I would have no hassles (that wont happen to me) lol
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me a book (literally about 100 pages) that covered a lot of the common complications, preparing your house for after surgery recovery/diet, etc. So my questions were clarifications about what was in the book. The one I can specifically remember had to do with pre-surgery. I wanted to know how long I could drink water before my surgery appt. because my veins are hard to find even when hydrated, but they wanted the stomach empty for the surgery. The answer was 12 hours and as a result the process of finding a vein for the IV was actually the most painful part of the surgery for me.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I left the office without asking about the diet plan. When I got home I was so confused about things and didnt get an email response for a couple of days.
  • sue100194
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. The visit didn't go quite the way I'd hoped or envisioned but I feel like I got a lot of questions answered. I'm not impressed with my surgeon's bedside manner but did appreciate his passion for the details and the technical aspects which is really what a surgeon should be about, I guess. It was the first time I'd met him as I've been working with the physician's assistant and office staff up to this point. Anyway, we are on track for Feb 12 surgery and I'm into day 4 of the pre-op diet. Thanks again
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. The visit didn't go quite the way I'd hoped or envisioned but I feel like I got a lot of questions answered. I'm not impressed with my surgeon's bedside manner but did appreciate his passion for the details and the technical aspects which is really what a surgeon should be about, I guess. It was the first time I'd met him as I've been working with the physician's assistant and office staff up to this point. Anyway, we are on track for Feb 12 surgery and I'm into day 4 of the pre-op diet. Thanks again
    Congrats on your date! Hang in there with the pre-op diet You've already done really well up to this point and now you've arrived to what you have been preparing for. Good Luck and keep us posted post op as well! :flowerforyou:
  • sleepingarby
    Options
    Sue how do you feel about the 'bedside' manner of the rest of the bariatric team? This will be important. Find someone on the team, nutritionist, coordinator, support group person, or other that you can connect with. The reason this is soooo vital is because you need to feel you can approach someone to answer your questions and make you feel connect to your Bariatric Team, otherwise there is a HUGE risk that embarrassment, fear or discouragement could disrail your progress. Best Wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • sue100194
    Options
    Good point and I know exactly what you mean but his medical assistant is a really warm, approachable woman as are the rest of the women in the office so I'm feeling good about it all. I guess I just expected him to be the same as the women in his office. Silly me. :)