How long until you were ready??

Options
Hey everyone! I'm just getting ready to start the C25K program on February 1. I started it last summer but only got 2 weeks in before I gave up. I'm hoping I can stick with it this time around.

My question for everyone that's completed the program -- About how long from your 'start' date was it before you really felt ready to run a 5K? I would love to run the Pittsburgh Penguins 6.6K (normally takes place in October, I believe) but I'm afraid I'll never be ready by then. I've never been a runner, but I'm hopeful. Think that's enough time to really feel comfortable running that distance?

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was running the full 30 minutes but was not running the distance. Another month of running and I was able to run 5K but it took me 45 minutes to do.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May last year (and was obese at the time) and raced a 5k in mid-July without too much trouble. I was not running 5K at the end of the C25K program, but still had enough training, by doing it, to run the 5k race.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You will have a much better gauge at the end of the C25K program as everyone is different. I know I could run for 30 mins no problem, but it was only about 2.5 miles, way short of 3.1. It took me another month to hit 5k at a blistering 38 min mark. Since then I have trimmed my time down to 34 min, and actually have started extending my runs to 4 miles at about 45 min.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Like most people here, when I finished the program I was running for 30 minutes but not 5K. It took another couple of weeks to get to the 5K. Like mheebner, I now do about 4 miles.
    Given that, I think you shouldn't focus too much on the end. Unless your goal is to win races (which I doubt), just focus on enjoying your workout. Too much focus on the 5K mark will put pressure and reduce your chances of success.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on November 10th, graduated on January 19th and then today, January 25th, I ran a full 5K (on the treadmill) for the first time- 37.5ish minutes.

I don't feel at all ready to run any actual races since I've trained entirely on the treadmill thus far, but it is very nice to know that I can actually make it all 3.1 miles. It's amazing how fast I went from 60 seconds of running to being able to make it 5K!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I was running the full 30 minutes but was not running the distance. Another month of running and I was able to run 5K but it took me 45 minutes to do.

This was my progress as well (except it took me 50 minutes to run 5K the first time). You'll be ready for a 5K shortly after finishing this program. Stick with it, take it slow and post your progress & questions here.

two_ocotpodes, congratulations on your first 5K!! That's terrific time. You did great!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In general, if you can run for 30 minutes, you will have a successful experience at a 5k race.