The Protein Works - protein advice

Options
Hey Guys,

I bought some Whey Protein Isolate 90 in chocolate silk and am just coming to the end of the pack. I'm now looking for my next bag. I guess I have two questions:

1. I found the flavour of the chocolate silk a bit synthetic and wondered what other people think and what flavours come out on top for you.

2. Looking at the different types, my goal is to reduce weight/body fat. I notice now they have Diet Isolate 97 or something. Any ideas what the differences between complex and isolates are?

Looking forward to hearing from you.....

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I know there are some knowledgeable people on this UK thread who know their protein. Where are you?
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like the banana one. only use the normal one for recovery purposes so can't help on the other question.
  • Moogle_Powah
    Moogle_Powah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I use The Protein Works shakes pretty much every day and I love them. I have the Caramel Machiatto one for breakfast with milk and after a work out and snacks at work I have the Vanilla Cream which, if mixed with milk, tastes like a melted Milky Bar :D I tried the Blueberry Crush but I hated it, it reminded me of Dioralyte. My colleague (who also orders from The Protein Works) recommended mixing it into a smoothie but I can't do that at work so now it just sits abandoned under my desk!

I have yet to try other flavours, but my colleague also shops for his protein at My Protein which do similar flavours; I tried a Rhubarb and Custard one of his that was very sickly but it you wanted something sweet then it definitely hit the spot.

I used 80 Concentrate shakes. I know this one is just for sort of regular workouts/recovery which is why I went with it. I have been tempted by the fat loss one but I don't think I could have just shakes for meals, I'm usually ravenous after weight training!

I think it depends on your goals in terms of which ones to pick. I haven't got any experience in others so I can't really help, but if you contacted the website they may be able to get you more info? I have literally no idea what the 'isolate' differences are either :/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking their Naked Whey Protein 80, vanilla tastes good, mixes well but is only available in vanilla or chocolate (which I might try next).
    It uses stevia as a sweetener, I hate the taste of sucralose and aspartame.

http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-shakes/whey-protein/naked-whey-protein-80.html
  • xianuk
    xianuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been using myprotein whey for around 2 years, I have had pretty much every flavour, all good and mix well.

http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/protein/whey-protein.list
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered a few samples from My Protein :) i'm not big on shakes, but i'll give it a go :)
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use Bodybuilding warehouse: http://goo.gl/1IiRLl
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a lot of flavours from TPW.

My favourite is caramel macchiato. I currently also have vanilla creme and the strawberry/white chocolate in stock at the moment which are both nice. The chocolate silk is not the best chcolate whey I've tried. I didn't like the jaffa cake one but the chocolate mint was good. The banoffee and butterscotch ones were nothing to write home about. I didn't like the cherry bakewell but some people rave about it. Rum'n'raisin was OK but don't think I'd buy it again.

(sample packs were 1/2 price last time I ordered hence why I've tried so many!)

Some of the flavours can be overpowering so I usually keep some unflavoured whey in stock and mix half&half.

In terms of types of whey, the ones marketed specifically as diet whey often have added ingredients such as green coffee bean extract, and a higher percentage of protein (lower carbs and fat). But unless you're really trying to keep carbs and fats low this isn't really necesssary and will end up costing a lot more money for little benefit.