"Slightly" Older Runners

Options
Hi there. I am about to turn 50 (just over a month) and would love to hear from people my age that run distance. Be great to share challenges, scheduling runs, nutrition, races..all that good stuff!
Thanks and have a rockin Saturday!

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm "slightly" less old - I turn 45 next month - but am starting to relate.

I came to running late in life - Tuesday is my second anniversary of my first day of C25K... before that no running since high school gym class.

The biggest challenge for me is scheduling... and i'm overcoming that mostly by running my mid-week runs before anyone else wakes up. My alarm is set for 4:45AM and I can get my mid week 4 - 6 miles in, get home, showered and changed eat breakfast by 7.

I'm not sure what I'll do when my marathon training plan has me scheduled for 8, 9, 10 miles on Wednesdays. I might have to do those as two-a-days, splitting the mileage between the morning and evening.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yes Scheduling is tough and I'm the same way, all my weekday runs are in the early morning, but I love it then as its so peaceful. After breaking through the sub 2 hour Half Marathon barrier this past fall, a sub 4 hour marathon is in my sites for this summer. Have a Half next month and a 30k race in March! The one things I've started doing is yoga (hot) to get my core in better shape an add more flexibility. Its tough though! I'm getting to that point where if something isn't hurting, it aint working!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ah I'm way too old, I didn't start running till I was well into my 60's. Though I am going to do a sub 2hr half in March.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ah I'm way too old, I didn't start running till I was well into my 60's. Though I am going to do a sub 2hr half in March.

No such thing as too old! Where I live some runners in their 70's kicked my *kitten* in my last 10 K. Running sub 2 at any age is great - keep running and congrats!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have always found that things physical do not change for me on the decade. It is usually a year or two afterwards -- 42 years, not 40 years; 52-53 years not 50 years. So, don't push the panic button yet!
    When you do hit 50-plus years, however, I think recovery becomes much more of an issue than it ever did when you were younger. It has for me, anyway.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    45 and still on the upslope of my running career. Still lots of PRs out there.
  • kmegow
    kmegow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 51. Sigh. I have run two marathons, the last one being the Boston in 2009, several 1/2's, and many other, shorter distances. Took a new job, more sedentary, and gained weight/got out of shape. Now, I'm back in the swing, considering running a 1/2 next month. Ran 10.2 yesterday, very easy pace. Felt great after. I have noticed I need to really work on core strength and balance. I don't know if that's from being out of shape or being old. Ha.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    53 years young here, I adore running :heart:

Years ago, I was involved in track and field and did sprinting, but sprinting nowadays, I find a bit too much for my achilles and legs, so moved on to longer stuff.

Have done numerous 5ks, two 10ks, one half marathon with another half in one week's time. I love the HM distance to bits, with 10k being my next favourite. 5ks, I find so hard, it is heartrate to max from the start and stays there for the duration of the run/race, but I still luffs it haha.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Turned 66 yesterday and I have only been running about 2 years before that walk/jog walk and nothing in that order. I am still enjoying PRs and increasing my distances. I find that my improvements and additions in speed and distance come slowly and I don't bounce back from strains and pulls nearly as fast anymore.
    On a great note being 66 I no longer have any scheduling issues since I am semi retired and I can go when and where I want so if its a weekday and I decide to enjoy my long run because the weather is great or I just feel like it out the door I go.
    My suggestion is focus on how young you are and let the rest take care of it self. The good health you will enjoy for the rest of your life being fit and running is well worth the scheduling. I have never done 2 a day but have spoken to people that utiliize that as a way to get longer runs into a schedule with work.
    Good luck and good health
    Ken
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

YOU are my inspiration! I will be 50 this coming November and did a 1/2 mary in 2:47. Not especially impressive since I can walk the entire distance:sad: in under 4.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    69, running at 11 to 12 minutes mile. 19 miles per week. Helps weight loss and feels good.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 47 in less than a week and I won my first ever overall victory in a 5K road race just a few months ago. 40s and 50s are prime running years!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I think Dave is right: Many of the top performers at the local 5K's are in their 40's and 50's. Of course the little teenage boys also do quite well, also. For some reason the 20's and 30's age groups seem to be slacking.

I'm turning 47 in less than a week and I won my first ever overall victory in a 5K road race just a few months ago. 40s and 50s are prime running years!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5K at 52 and a half-marathon on my 58th birthday and the best is yet to come......
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think Dave is right: Many of the top performers at the local 5K's are in their 40's and 50's. Of course the little teenage boys also do quite well, also. For some reason the 20's and 30's age groups seem to be slacking.

I've seen this phenomenon too and I chalk it up to many of those runners being parents of small children. Once the kids are a little older, they have more time to train. This is why the 40+ age groups are so competitive.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I just gotta say: That is WAY cool, Dave. Congrats.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've seen this phenomenon too and I chalk it up to many of those runners being parents of small children. Once the kids are a little older, they have more time to train. This is why the 40+ age groups are so competitive.
    That was absolutely the case for me. I got serious about running when my kids were old enough to drive themselves to their various activities. Now they are both out of the home and the sky is the limit.
    I just gotta say: That is WAY cool, Dave. Congrats.
    Thanks!
  • malivic
    Options
    Well you're my inspiration :) I'm 48 and going to do my first half in April this year. I'm just hoping to finish alive :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 51 this year and I started running when I was 46. Wow, just saying that I can't believe that was 5 years ago because it feels like yesterday. I typically do trail ultras. The 40's age bracket in my area is really competitive although I've noticed a fall off because I've been hitting the podium in races of late. And it's not because I'm fast, it's because I showed up. Heck, there were only two of us (that finished at least) at North Face in December which is weird to me because that race is huge. I've been calling these age group awards my "Still Standing and Breathing" awards.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I guess I am "much" rather than "slightly."

Ran my first full marathon at age 60. Also soloed for my private pilot's license that year. 69 now and running halves regularly.