Struggling with Plantar Fasciitis, advice?

Options
So I am pretty sure I have of. If I push on the fleshy part below my arch, it feels like a giant bruised area. It has been here for a few months now :(. I haven't gone to see anyone as getting a referral in the Tricare (military medical coverage) is a trial.

I bought a Strassburg sock and plan on wearing it to bed. I also have the Stick and a foam roller. The route I run (the loop by my house)is pretty hilly bit not running it is difficult (have to drive and can't leave sons home). But I have been trying to make sure I stretch after I run.

So I guess I am wondering-do I need to stop running?? Does it ever go away without medical help (I can't see my gp until February)? What should I be doing??

Does everyone else's feel like that? I am so scared I am making it worse. I almost tore my AT about 3 years ago by ignoring it and had to spend 6 weeks in a boot. Ugh, do NOT want to repeat that lol

Replies

• ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I never quit running, and still average 300 miles a month.
    I used the night boot, and it helped immensely.
    I also went to a professional running store where the videoed me running, and then told me I was running in the wrong type of shoe. I shifted to a neutral shoe from several makes and models they recommended, and I am MUCH better now.

I really believe that I was running very high miles in the wrong shoe and that was causing the problem.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i've had it for the past 8-9 months. I even took off from running for 8 weeks (for another reason) and it still didn't go away when I went back to running.

i recently started to try to find something that would finally work, while i continue to run.

i tried a "sleeve" that you can wear running or all the time (under your socks)
    I also got a pair of heel insoles that i wear in my work shoes and everyday shoes (total of 2 pairs)
    just around this time i got new running shoes

all this has really worked for me, I don't know if i can post what i purchased, but if you message me i can send you the link
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Stopping running didn't help me. I am doing stretches, started doing yoga and wear a foot sleeve (feetures). I think I need a different running shoe. I think I am going to be re-fitted.

Also I am lifting weights again now. I stopped and that's when it started. So I am working on lifting doing lower body exercises, squats and calf raises. The yoga helps too, doing poses like warrior 2 and such.

It is still bothering me but not as much as before. I am hoping with the new shoes it goes away.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I wore inserts in my work shoes. ChAnged running shoes. Slept in a boot. All helped!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are fairly new but I kinda wonder if all the weight I gained has move me from a neutral to a different pronation style. I go to Raleigh in two weekends-need to stop in the running store there.

And I think going back to weight lifting may help. I fractured my foot in 4 places/tore a tendon 18 months ago so I know that leg is weaker/wonkier than it used to be. Sigh.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yep - I get that from time to time.

The night boot is by far the most helpful thing.

I also have about three or four foot roller massagers. I keep one under my desk at work. One under my desk at home... One by the TV.....

You don't have to rest. It doesn't really help.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I roll my calves as best I can. I also use a golf ball on my heel and arch.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing the boot as well plus massages. Mileage cut, also changed shoes to one with more heel support.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Also calf strengthening exercises (helps to put less pressure on your heels) I've been told would help.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My wife is finally getting over her Plantar Fasciitis.

The podiatrist had her icing her feet after exercise.
    Stretching her calves and feet in a warm bath every night.
    And slept in some braces.

It took several months but she can run without pain now.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The stretch that is shown in the pdf at this link helped 80-90 percent of people with chronic plantar fasciitis, significantly. The reason they had chronic plantar fasciitis was because nothing else was really working.
    http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I had signs of plantar fasciitis kicking in, I went to a doctor and they told me to just slow it down a bit and to maybe take a day or two off if I was having severe pain. Well it hurt so bad sometimes that just getting out of bed hurt, just to put weight on my feet. I took a few days off and did not run, did nothing, except for ice my foot off and on 15-20 minutes at a time. I bought a compression sock that I got at the running store they said might help. I also bought massage balls for my feet and just sat at my desk and rolled my foot on it several times a day. Kind of like you would do with a foam roller with your calfs.

Three weeks later I did my first half marathon, I made the distance, but had pain after. I followed the same resting routine and massaging. I dont recommend doing what I did as far as the half marathon when still sore, but I could not back out, I was doing it for charity and fundraising.

If you keep up your good shoes, rest when you feel you need to and massage your foot, you will probably be OK. I have been running long distances again and have not had any major issues with my PF lately.

These are the items that I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Restore-Hot-Cold-Therapy/dp/B009XACHZO/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1390880167&sr=8-26&keywords=foot+massager+balls

http://www.amazon.com/Feetures-Plantar-Fasciitis-Sleeve-Sock/dp/B00CF3ATZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390880764&sr=8-1&keywords=plantar+fasciitis+sock'
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The stretch that is shown in the pdf at this link helped 80-90 percent of people with chronic plantar fasciitis, significantly. The reason they had chronic plantar fasciitis was because nothing else was really working.
    http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf

Thanks!