Anyone LOST weight going gf?

Options
2»

Replies

• DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat any packaged GF products and still with fruits, veggies, meat, beans, rice.
    When I eat this way, I lose weight like crazy. If I eat the packaged stuff, it is no different for me then eating Gluten.
    Sigh..... I will miss pasta, pizza, and bread.
    New lifestyle does not included those items.
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Virtually all the weight I have lost has been from simply being GF for the past year.

Mind you I'm apparently just sensitive and not completely allergic.... I do on occasion eat gluten knowingly but luckily do not have the reactions I used to...

I'm quite sure that if I cut it out entirely I would lose more but most people GAIN because they use GF substitutes on a regular basis... I just try to eat clean....

^^^^this. It took me over a year to fight and lose 28 pounds. I have dropped 54 since going GF in June...without tracking. The better I felt , I decided to eliminate as much of any type of processed food as humanly possible. I Hate GF products and avoid them they are loaded with all kinds of stuff just as bad for you. I eat as cleanly as possible, with as little processed food as possible, and when I have to have some pasta or pizza, I have the real stuff in very small amounts.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I lost about 10 pounds..I've lost more than that but it's probably from just how healthy I eat now.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I first went GF - yes. The area I lived in didn't have many substitutes (and the ones they did have I couldn't afford). They gradually got more, and I gradually gained. Then lost due to my gallbladder shutting down (couldn't keep anything in). Now I'm back WAY up, as I've gotten better and better at baking GF breads and things. I need to get back to basic foods.

When I initially went allergy free (while nursing my oldest son to figure out his allergies) I dropped a good 40 lbs, eating absolutely no processed anything. I ate meats, fruits, veggies, olive oil and rice. I'm debating going back to that to see if I have more food in tolerances than I think. Currently, in addition to gluten, I cannot tolerate buckwheat or oats either.
  • diehardsweetheart
    Options
    There's a positive correlation between my weight loss and not consuming gluten. However, it's impossible to infer causation due to the fact that when I go GF I also eliminate or reduce greatly my sugar and processed food intake and rarely use gluten substitutes. I may have the odd slice of gluten free bread but it's not on a daily basis. I know a lot of people love gluten free alternatives but I don't like most of them. When I eliminate gluten and reduce sugars/processed food, weight for me just drops off.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to gluten but I've started eliminating is as much as possible. Dairy as well. I still eat them but in moderation. Same thing with sweets. I have IBS too and have noticed my symptoms are much better.

I feel better, feel "lighter" and do weight less. I still must eat healthy across the board and drink lots of water, exercise .. the whole kit and kaboodle. I'm losing a little but this stuff takes time. Besides if I'm workout, I'm gaining muscle. So I'm not taking the weight portion too seriously at this point.

Good luck! :happy:
  • mandysuef
    mandysuef Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    At first I gained weight! It was only after I stopped eating all the gluten free breads, pastas, etc. and started making everything from scratch did I start to lose weight.
  • MazieChick
    Options
    Went gluten-free, lost all food cravings. Now I've lost 147 pounds, so, yes, you can loose being gluten-free.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Good post, when I review what a lot of people are commenting on is processed food. GF or not, if you have GF processed food it is just as bad as regular processed food.

Best thing is to eat clean and avoid gluten if you need to refrain from it.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There are 2 sides to the GF weight issue (from a celiac) perspective. For my cousin, she had trouble gaining weight because she wasn't absorbing any nutrients. My mom and I had trouble loosing weight because our bodies were in constant stress mode and held on to every thing. If you are going GF just to loose weight and think switching to GF products will help, you are wrong. GF products are only the healthier option if you can not tolerate Gluten. You miss out on other nutrients and frequently end up consuming more white starches than you would on a regular diet. Do not confuse low carb and gluten free. They are very different.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, so forgive me if I repeat anything that's been said. but in my experience if you eat more traditional, home made scratch meals, you will lose weight. You gain weight being gluten free by eat the PROCESSED, heavily caloried dense PREMADE foods. There is NOT enough money in the world that will make me EVER go back to eating gluten.

I too have Celiac Disease, but I am unable to lose weight when I was eating gluten foods. Everytime I eat anything with gluten, I seriously gain 5lbs, and even though I'm in a ton of physical pain, can't keep anything in, because I get physically ill...I would gain weight. Explain that one? lol. I was misdiagnosed for 8yrs as IBS...then found out that I have Celiac. And even though I eat the processed gluten free foods aka premade, prepackaged gluten free foods, I feel better...I find I either stay the same, or gain more weight as well. BUT if I cook gluten free homemade, scratch meals...I have a lot easier time losing weight as long as I manage my serving sizes AND recognize that I am full and need to put down the food. lol.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This makes totally sense.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free since about November, and I've probably lost about 10 pounds total. I don't eat substitutes though, I mostly just eat different foods now (more fresh fruits and veggies, less processed food in general).

I think it all depends on what you eat instead when you make the change.

Those who are Celiacs will likely gain weight (healthier make-up though) since they will start to absorb nutrients properly, but those with sensitivities or allergies will likely lose extra weight - AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T USING ALL THE JUNK SUBSTITUTES - COOKIES, CAKES, ETC. The substitutes are higher in calories (eg: bread) so be mindful of eating clean and less processed. As above - better to eat more fresh veggies, fruit, and lean proteins including quinoa & beans.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the lucky ones because I don't like the gluten free alternative for bread, pastry, etc which meant I lost weight.

Of my friends the only ones to gain weight after diagnosis were those who insisted on eating the replacement gf items. Where cakes and biscuits are concerned it doesn't matter if they are gf or not, if you overindulge it makes you put on the pounds. :-)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Currently, in addition to gluten, I cannot tolerate buckwheat or oats either.

Is it the actual seed/grain you can't handle or is it the likelihood that these items have been processed or packaged in a facility that also handles wheat? There is a difference as I have no problem with buckwheat or with "clean" oats that have not been grown in rotation with wheat and are packaged in a facility that deals only with certified Gluten free products. Of course the certified clean grains are more expensive but still worth it for a nice hot breaky. or for baking.