FOR THE LADIES ONLY!! TMI

Options
Hello running friends, once again this question is for the Ladies only!!!!

I wanted to know if this happens to anyone else or if it only happens to me, a week before TOM comes to visit I tend to be low on energy. I have a really hard time doing anything, that means getting the energy to go out for a run, or doing any type of workout. I feel more tired and only want to sleep.

I will bring this up to my Dr on next appointment but just wanted to know if this happens to anyone else.

Also what tips do you have about running a race during TOM. Looking at my calendar I may be on it during my Half Marathon race and that really concerns me. I tend to be on the heavy flow side, and I really do not want to stop and use the potty during my race.

Any tips will be helpful thank you ladies.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It is up to you and how you feel, but you could go on continuous birth control pills, eliminate the period altogether. Talk to your doc about it.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I tend to run really well when it's my TOM. Like, most of my personal records are from that week. I think mainly it's because I tend to get nauseous during the week before, so I eat really clean when I have PMS... which means I come into the race well-fueled.

Have you tried the DivaCup? That works well for a lot of women and can be worn all day. Other than that, black bottoms in case you leak.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Silly. I call it "rag power." I've actually looked it up on the internet & there's some science behind it. We are slower the week or even 2 before. But then get a burst of energy, hormones, when we finally do have our period. I always wear a tampon during a run or race. I hope it all works in your favor.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fleetzz brings up an option - I have been on continuous BC pills since having my son 9 years ago - I never liked that TOM, I choose not to have periods at all. I bring it up every time I go for my repeat perscription - I always ask if its unhealthy, or whether I should have a break, (I think its the mini pill that I'm on - you take it for all 28 days) but the doctors say its not an issue.

I understand that many women prefer to have the reassurance of their monthly cycle, but I really don't miss it at all. Every time women around me in the office are struggling, I think how lucky I am.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't notice any difference in my monthly cycle in terms of energy levels, but I've been on the BCP forever. I woudl also second the Diva Cup suggestion. Installed correctly, it'll never leak, you won't know it's there and it can be kept inside for quite a while :-)
  • SillyC2
    Options
    I don't notice any difference in my monthly cycle in terms of energy levels, but I've been on the BCP forever. I woudl also second the Diva Cup suggestion. Installed correctly, it'll never leak, you won't know it's there and it can be kept inside for quite a while :-)

Mine still leaks a bit - I have some damage due to childbirth. But it's well within what a pair of black bottoms can handle.
    No hormones for me - so glad that part of my life is over! It turned me into a zombie with no interest in sex whatsoever.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Running really messed with my cycle - it became irregular, and then it stayed for 21 days after one of my halfs (ugh). I went on birth control, and now I just skip it when I have a race or a backpacking trip. Backpacking on your period is the worst! I was especially glad for this when we hiked Kilimanjaro.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It is up to you and how you feel, but you could go on continuous birth control pills, eliminate the period altogether. Talk to your doc about it.

That is interesting I have never thought about it, did not know there was that option. I have never been a birth control pill kind of girl. But I will talk to my Dr about it.

I thought that birth control pills made you gain weight?
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    FWIW, I tend to run really well when it's my TOM. Like, most of my personal records are from that week. I think mainly it's because I tend to get nauseous during the week before, so I eat really clean when I have PMS... which means I come into the race well-fueled.

Have you tried the DivaCup? That works well for a lot of women and can be worn all day. Other than that, black bottoms in case you leak.

I have never had a race while on TOM so I honestly have no idea how I would perform. I also tend to get nauseous the week before and two days into TOM, by the third day I am feeling back to normal. I have not heard and or tried the DivaCup I will have to look into it.

Thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I totally agree with Silly. I call it "rag power." I've actually looked it up on the internet & there's some science behind it. We are slower the week or even 2 before. But then get a burst of energy, hormones, when we finally do have our period. I always wear a tampon during a run or race. I hope it all works in your favor.

I have never ran a race while on it, but if it turns out that I am on it for my half it will be very interesting to see what happens.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Fleetzz brings up an option - I have been on continuous BC pills since having my son 9 years ago - I never liked that TOM, I choose not to have periods at all. I bring it up every time I go for my repeat perscription - I always ask if its unhealthy, or whether I should have a break, (I think its the mini pill that I'm on - you take it for all 28 days) but the doctors say its not an issue.

I understand that many women prefer to have the reassurance of their monthly cycle, but I really don't miss it at all. Every time women around me in the office are struggling, I think how lucky I am.

I have never been a BC pills kind of person, I seriously thought that they made you gain weight LOL!!. I will talk to my Dr on my next appt and bring it up. not having a period would be nice.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

I will look into these two options thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Running really messed with my cycle - it became irregular, and then it stayed for 21 days after one of my halfs (ugh). I went on birth control, and now I just skip it when I have a race or a backpacking trip. Backpacking on your period is the worst! I was especially glad for this when we hiked Kilimanjaro.

I have to agree running has messed up with my cycle it has pushed out by a couple of weeks. I have an idea now when it will come but sometimes it just comes like two weeks later than it should.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Diva Cup to the rescue! I have exclusively used one since I had my first child, and I love, love, love the Diva Cup. You just take it out and clean it twice a day and that's it. No stupid string hanging out, no gross pads close to your body, and you only have to empty it twice a day (so you really only have to do it at home). I would wear a Diva Cup in a race, for sure. I've worn one for many, many runs and never had an issue.

I notice that before I get my period, I am more irritable than anything. I am super-annoyed, don't feel like doing anything, etc. I find that I need to push myself to get to the gym, but after I workout, I feel much better.

Maybe speak to your doctor about your iron level? If it is low, you may feel more tired.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've just started training for my first marathon, and have found that the day I first start TOM I'm fine but then after that my energy decreases and after 30 minutes of running I feel faint! The month before my marathon I'm going to carry on with my pill so that I don't come on just before it or during!!!! That would be horrible and I can't even imagine contemplating running 26 miles with TOM in tow!!! :-( for the rest of my training, if I'm on I'm going to use those few days to do weight training and maybe some yoga and short runs if possible.
  • SillyC2
    Options

I have never ran a race while on it, but if it turns out that I am on it for my half it will be very interesting to see what happens.

It's gonna be great! You're not on hormonal birth control, right? If you ARE, your TOM isn't technically a period - it's called "withdrawal bleeding", and the big difference is it does NOT come with the hormonal changes of a "real" menstrual period.

I've heard that pain tolerance goes up, which is great for racing! I used to worry about this, and now I'm sort of annoyed with having to take care of what I like to call "laundry issues" - but my body works awesome!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD. Way better than the Diva Cup and BCP. Problem solved.
  • julie_emma1
    Options

That is interesting I have never thought about it, did not know there was that option. I have never been a birth control pill kind of girl. But I will talk to my Dr about it.

I thought that birth control pills made you gain weight?

I use the BC pill but I still do the 1 week off, so I still get my monthly TOM. Even still, I find that the pill helps with my low energy and headaches because my flow is much lighter than when I wasn't on the pill (sorry TMI!) so I get less anemic. Also my TOM tends to be shorter on the pill (3 days ish) so less days of feeling icky = yay!

In regards to weight gain, I've heard of this but I personally never experienced it (I've gone on and off two different BC pills and neither had this effect). I've also heard that it can increase your breast cup size a bit, but unfortunately that didn't happen for me either ;-).

Definitely talk to your doc about contraceptive options though - it would definitely help with your TOM symptoms.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Not everybody loses their period with the Mirena but it is a good option. Insertion is pretty painful for the nulliparous.
    Mirena IUD. Way better than the Diva Cup and BCP. Problem solved.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. A week before hand I get really lethargic and my runs feel like an all out effort. During a race it sucks because I feel heavier and bloated... Just try to drink even more water than usual.