Having hard time reaching protein goal

Options
I'm gluten and casein free for medical reasons and I'm having hard time reaching my protein goal. I have about 550 calories left for today and I need to get 67more grams to reach my goal of 135gr. Any tips? I may need to quit eggs too at some point to see if it's aggravating my autoimmune issues but I'm not there yet.

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and still manage to meet my goal of around 160g protein each day.
    Things I use to bump up protein are greek yoghurt, egg whites (and whole eggs, but usually only 1-2 per day), pea/rice protein powder post workout, tofu, etc.
    If you eat meat/fish then the options for you are almost endless. Just think about having a decent serve of protein with each meal/snack and you should be fine to hit 135g in a day...
  • spintronicus
    spintronicus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dairy (casein) products like yogurt and soy products like tofu are out due to my autoimmune issues. Eggs might be out soon too, if cutting gluten, dairy and soy won't be enough. I bought several trial size vegan protein powders but they don't have more than 10grams per serving. I ate some beans, ground meat and eggs today but still couldn't reach the recommended amount. I'll keep searching for a better protein powder which is vegan and soy-free.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Can you have have nuts? Fav-va beans?
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Search for pea/rice protein powders. Mine is a blend (blended to have an amino acid balance most similar to whey) and has 24g protein per serve. It's a 100% natural powder and I love it but unfortunately isn't available outside Australia.
    I'm sure it would get boring, but things like chicken and fish are great, lean protein sources and can be used in many many meals (smoked salmon with breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch, meat and veg for dinner, etc etc) so I'd be really surprised if you couldn't meat your requirements by having a source of complete protein (egg, meat, fish) with each meal, and some other source of protein with snacks as well.

As far as eggs go (and apologies if this is a stupid question) is it just the yolk that would effect you, or the whole egg? Could you try sticking to egg whites for a little while to see if they agree with you better than the yolks? I find egg whites are great to add to just about anything to bump up the protein and often even make baked oatmeal (can be made with wheat free oats or quinoa flakes for gluten free option) and include 1/2 cup egg whites in that, along with chia seeds, flax seed, etc...

Just quickly for protein powders, I seem to remember there was a great one called vega, but not available here in Aus so haven't been able to try it. Google 'no meat athlete' - he has lots of great vegan recipes and supplements that might be useful :)
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I can have nuts but can't have fava beans due to hypoglycemia but I can have many other beans. I had homemade navy beans yesterday which was onions, tomato paste, sweet peppers and navy beans cooked together. It provided 45grams of protein but for almost 800 calories. I eat peanut and cashew butter slathered on a banana since I can't do bread.

I found out that Sun Warrior has gluten, soy and dairy free protein powder which provides 19grams per serving. I'll go with that i think. I'll google for Vega. Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't quit eggs yet and I don't know if I really can. The real autoimmune diet is so restrictive that I think it's almost impossible to reach protein recs without loading up on meat. It restricts beans, legumes, many dark greens, eggs, dairy, gluten, soy, all grains, some veggies like peppers, etc. I'm hoping I won't need it that far. But the issue with eggs is as a whole, as far as I understand. They are inflammatory and I have inflammation issues.

Fish is a bit of a struggle for me due to taste but with this many restrictions, I'll work on that so I won't cut it out too. :)

I guess I'll figure this out eventually. Thanks for the brainstorming. Like you said, I realized I have to shoot for some protein with each meal.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've eaten lots of tuna fish, peanut butter and cottage cheese this past week and almost always hit my goal! It's tough, and I don't like eating meat all the time. I know that chicken is high in protein. Best of luck finding what works for you!
  • spintronicus
    Options
    It feels like I'm constantly eating protein rich foods. LOL. I have 975 cals left for today and 57 grams of protein.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a huge fan of the company, Arbonne has an expensive protein powder that is soy and dairy free. It tastes great.
  • siobhanenator
    siobhanenator Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started my metabolism restart and as a dairy free vegetarian I'm having trouble getting the right ratios too! Even when I eat nearly all protein meals, the amounts of carbs and fats naturally in these proteins seems to keep me right around 20%, and I'm aiming for 30%! I got some Raw Meal protein powder, and I still eat eggs. I am firmly against eating highlly processed foods, and out of the protein powders, the Raw Meal is one of the less bad ones I could find. I'd prefer not to use a protein powder at all, so if anyone has any tips or recipes that would be awesome! Things I've been keeping around for protein are eggs, beans, quinoa, amaranth, wheat roast, chia seeds, and almonds.
  • Nimroth
    Nimroth Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and struggling somewhat too, and I can eat dairy! Hemp seeds are my latest find - 10g per 2 tablespoons. I eat a lot of almonds too.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I just started my metabolism restart and as a dairy free vegetarian I'm having trouble getting the right ratios too! Even when I eat nearly all protein meals, the amounts of carbs and fats naturally in these proteins seems to keep me right around 20%, and I'm aiming for 30%! I got some Raw Meal protein powder, and I still eat eggs. I am firmly against eating highlly processed foods, and out of the protein powders, the Raw Meal is one of the less bad ones I could find. I'd prefer not to use a protein powder at all, so if anyone has any tips or recipes that would be awesome! Things I've been keeping around for protein are eggs, beans, quinoa, amaranth, wheat roast, chia seeds, and almonds.

Yes, naturally occurring carbs are my problem, too. I eat beans and legumes but they're loaded with carbs. I don't like eating canned salmon but it's convenient and I don't like baked fish. In an ideal world, I'd skip fish altogether. LOL. Eating organic chicken everyday is expensive too. So do protein powders but I try to make it work. Beans,legumes and grains are the cheapest protein source but they are full of carb calories too.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and struggling somewhat too, and I can eat dairy! Hemp seeds are my latest find - 10g per 2 tablespoons. I eat a lot of almonds too.

I'll check hemp seeds out. Thanks!
  • HSMyTwins
    HSMyTwins Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the Vega sport protein powder. I like the chocolate best. I also buy their protein bars.

I have a lot of food restrictions too (no egg, dairy, soy, gluten, almond). Meat gets boring - I get that.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    I use the Vega sport protein powder. I like the chocolate best. I also buy their protein bars.

I have a lot of food restrictions too (no egg, dairy, soy, gluten, almond). Meat gets boring - I get that.

So far my favorite is Vega Protein Smoothie Vanilla. Chocolate wasn't bad either. They were on sale at Whole Foods. Amazing Meal tasted awful and Garden of Life Raw protein is too gritty. I'm not sure if I got a faulty batch but it's so gritty that I'm having hard time comfortably swallowing it. Blech! I tried adding it to smoothies but it still didn't mask the odd texture. I'll check Vega's Sport Protein, too.
  • siobhanenator
    siobhanenator Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just tried the Vega Protein, and I like it better than the Raw Protein by Garden of Life. You're right spintronicus, it's very gritty! I've started making a smoothie in the morning that seems to be working well to boost my protein now. I use vanilla protein powder, organic soy milk, and a few chunks of frozen fruit (peaches and mangos), and blend it all until smooth. It's not the *most* delicious thing in the world, but it's drinkable, and it certainly helps me reach my goal!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have recently been seeing people talk about beef protein. I dont know much about it but here is a link if you want to see some info on it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/beef-protein.html