Is flax meal & milled flax seed the same thing ?

Options
I want to make flax buns ( caveman keto) but idk if I have the right flax !

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I think they are the same. I've noticed different grind sizes with different brands, but no pattern of grind size between meal and milled.
  • Wayfarrer2
    Wayfarrer2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree.. they are the same thing. You can also find flax flour which has a powdery consistency. Its stil the same thing. All can be used interchangeably but some recipes may call for one or another because it may affect the final consistency or appearance.
    I personally use them interchangeably because I dont care that much. ;)
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes it is.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yep, they're the same.
    I usually buy whole flax seed and freeze it. When I need flaxmeal for a recipe, I just grab the amount I need and run it through a spice grinder to turn it into meal/flour. This is more cost effective for me and only takes a moment or two. :smile:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, buy the seeds and grind them in your coffee mill or blender just before using them. I mistakenly ordered a jar labeled "FLAX SEED" but did not see the fine print "Cold Milled" above it.... the contents are ground up and have a distinctly "green" smell. It goes away in the cooking, thank goddess, but it sure stinks when I open the jar. Not sure how long I have to use the whole thing up before it goes bad?