Your number one piece of Half Marathon Advice

Options
So I am a month and a week away from my very first Half Marathon, I am getting excited and nervous at the same time. Let me give you a brief background in my training.

I started my Half Marathon training pretty early, I started last year ( I know pretty early) but since I had issues with my knees prior to the training I wanted to make sure I gave myself enough time to heal in case knees were going to be an issue. I followed the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Half Marathon training guide. During the training I managed to run 10k and 15k races. Right before the holidays I was able to complete 10 mile run of the program I still had the 11 and 12 mile runs.

But than came the holidays and even though I did run during the holidays just never had the time to get those long runs in. Fast forward to the the new year, I ask Hal on his Facebook page if I should repeat the Half Marathon training program and he said no, that maybe I should start with his Marathon Novice 2 training which starts you at 8 miles for the long run (but not complete the whole program). I started two weekends ago and have already done the 8 mile run, this Saturday I am scheduled to do 9 miles.

So based on my calculations, I will get up to the 12 mile long run and than I will have one week to taper.

1. So how should I fuel prior to the race? Do you carbo load for a Half Marathon?
2. Any advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I would eat before the race whatever you normally eat before a long run, nothing new on race day. Physiologically carb loading is not needed for a half. I also don't use any gels or gu for a half, but some people like too. Again, there isn't a physiological need for it. I would practice though drinking on the run, you'll want to drink during the race if it's hot out. You can pinch the top of the paper cup shut so it doesn't slosh all over.
    I think my best advice is to control your pacing. Go in with a plan, know your pace you want to hit every mile and to steal someone else's best advice "don't go out too fast!!" It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement. Have fun!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I didn't "carb" load in the traditional sense. For the 3-4 days I adjusted my marcos to reflect 60/20/20 and basically kind of did a gradual carb increase.

Fuels...I started playing with them on the 7 mile run. So if you haven't started playing with any I would suggest doing so, that way you aren't bringing something blind with you and then waiting in line at one of the water stations to use a porta-potty. Plus this way you will be able to learn what intervals worked for you. I like the gummy shots, and that popping 2 of them on every even mile worked for me. I didn't like the electrolyte drinks they had, but I drank them anyway because I didn't bring my own, and took those on every odd number water station (they had aid stations every mile at my first HM).

I have so many tips that I don't have just one piece of advice.
    ~Bring moleskin or bandaids with you incase you start to feel a blister coming on. Don't be afraid to stop and pop a bandaid on real fast.
    ~Remember to pace yourself...it isn't 26.2, but 13.1 is still a long ways....lol.
    ~Save a bit of juice for the last .1....so you can sprint across the line!
    ~If there is a turbo boost on the course, always hit the turbo boost!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 (after 46 halfs & 26 marathons):

No real need to carbo load for a half. You generally aren't out there long enough to deplete your glycogen stores (that's mile 20 kind fo stuff). That said, I always make sure to avoid that which might give me upset on race morning. No giant salads or bran muffins the day before.

Run smart and pace yourself on race day. "Don't go out too fast" is always a good idea, but a half is much more forgiving than a full on this issue.

As far a carbs during the race, just do whatever works for you. I sometimes don't drink at all during a half.

Remember to have fun!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would go with the above poster and practice drinking from a cup on the run. I ran my first half last fall and the only issue I ran into was slopping the water and Gatorade all over my face while trying to get it down my gullet! Eat as you would before your long run and believe in your training.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Number one piece of advice - ENJOY! You're going to get a PB whatever happens!

Don't go out too fast is vital advice, and its an easy trap to fall into - you get carried away with the excitement, you're feeling good, then you realise that actually it's a pretty long way! If you don't have a watch telling you your pace, write your mile splits down your arm. Try to stick to them vaguely. Look out for pacers - I race pace sometimes as a volunteer and we can be really helpful! ;-)

I carry jelly babies with me in a belt, I often don't need them, but sometimes others around me are grateful for them! It doesn't hurt to pop one every couple of miles anyway, it's a bit of a treat! Practising taking on water is a good tip, especially if it is hot you'll need it. This said I agree with other posters, 13.1 isn't that far if it's cold you may not need it at every station - make sure you are fully hydrated beforehand.

I don't carb load as such for a HM but the night before we have a ritual pasta meal which we know doesn't interfere with our digestion systems, tried and tested many times over!

Good luck!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Number 1 rule is not to do anything new for the race that you haven't done in training. No new clothes or shoes. Stick with your same fuel, before and during, that you use on your long runs. Since you have a few long runs left, you can experiment with fueling during your run. I prefer Gu (the gel). I tried gummies and didn't care for them. Even though many on here say fueling isn't needed for a half, I do feel much better when I fuel. I don't know if it is because of the large amount of calories I burn running (I am not at the highest level of fitness and I am carrying a fair amount of extra weight) or if it is more psychological. It is all individual.

I tend to have the ritual of eating pasta the night before a race. Not necessarily to carb load, but it tastes good, digests well, and doesn't upset my stomach. I had steak before a long run once and my stomach was miserable that whole run. Both dinner the night before your race and breakfast the day of are parts of your pre-race fueling, so don't do anything you haven't done during training.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I would eat before the race whatever you normally eat before a long run, nothing new on race day. Physiologically carb loading is not needed for a half. I also don't use any gels or gu for a half, but some people like too. Again, there isn't a physiological need for it. I would practice though drinking on the run, you'll want to drink during the race if it's hot out. You can pinch the top of the paper cup shut so it doesn't slosh all over.
    I think my best advice is to control your pacing. Go in with a plan, know your pace you want to hit every mile and to steal someone else's best advice "don't go out too fast!!" It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement. Have fun!!!

The day before a long run I may have a little bit more carbs than any other day such things like a bagel. I normally do not eat anything the day of a long run, maybe just a cup of coffee and a banana. I cannot eat too much because than stomach feels all weird. So will not do anything new on race day. :)

I love the idea of pinching the top of the paper cup, thanks for that tip.

Controlling the pace is a good tip since the start of the Half is down hill, so will try not to go out too fast and pace myself. I have an idea on the pace I want to hit for every mile so that will be my goal.

Thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I didn't "carb" load in the traditional sense. For the 3-4 days I adjusted my marcos to reflect 60/20/20 and basically kind of did a gradual carb increase.

Fuels...I started playing with them on the 7 mile run. So if you haven't started playing with any I would suggest doing so, that way you aren't bringing something blind with you and then waiting in line at one of the water stations to use a porta-potty. Plus this way you will be able to learn what intervals worked for you. I like the gummy shots, and that popping 2 of them on every even mile worked for me. I didn't like the electrolyte drinks they had, but I drank them anyway because I didn't bring my own, and took those on every odd number water station (they had aid stations every mile at my first HM).

I have so many tips that I don't have just one piece of advice.
    ~Bring moleskin or bandaids with you incase you start to feel a blister coming on. Don't be afraid to stop and pop a bandaid on real fast.
    ~Remember to pace yourself...it isn't 26.2, but 13.1 is still a long ways....lol.

These are great thanks, I have tried the cliff shots those work for me and also some Jelly beans that I found. So I will continue experimenting with those until race day.

bandaids never thought about that, thanks

I will remember to pace myself, I really would love to sprint at the finish line. I always run out of fuel towards the end so pacing myself is going to be the thing I need to work on. The first 7 miles of the course is downhill and than it is flat until the finish line.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    My $.02 (after 46 halfs & 26 marathons):

No real need to carbo load for a half. You generally aren't out there long enough to deplete your glycogen stores (that's mile 20 kind fo stuff). That said, I always make sure to avoid that which might give me upset on race morning. No giant salads or bran muffins the day before.

Run smart and pace yourself on race day. "Don't go out too fast" is always a good idea, but a half is much more forgiving than a full on this issue.

As far a carbs during the race, just do whatever works for you. I sometimes don't drink at all during a half.

Remember to have fun!

It is good to know that no carb loading is needed for a half, I was under the wrong impression. Great advice Thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I would go with the above poster and practice drinking from a cup on the run. I ran my first half last fall and the only issue I ran into was slopping the water and Gatorade all over my face while trying to get it down my gullet! Eat as you would before your long run and believe in your training.

Believe in my training!!! need to remember this
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My whole life is one big carb load anyway, so I'm always ready to race!
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Excellent - I agree with the advice above with the exception of carbo loading...I would totally load for 48 hours before you run and avoid dairy and fats. True you don't need to load like you would a marathon but if you are running a decent pace, your body can start to get stripped even in a half. But, eat things you are used to eating and for sure nothing new on race day.
    Other advice....soak in every moment...running that distance is special, and something most cant or don't do. Have a great experience!
    Just wanted to add...that I am not a not a super elite runner like perhaps some of the others...I run a half in about 1:57..but I found that eating carbs leading up to my run helped me stay stronger at that pace than not eating them. The advice is right above in regards to no real wall to hit, but bonking does happen on half's! So, just my opinion here...all runners are different! (I've only run about 7 half's and one marathon)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, even after 12+ races, I still can't manage to run and drink out of a paper cup at the same time without spilling all over myself...or start choking, etc...

Therefore, my advice is - there's no shame in walking for a minute while you drink. Lots of people will be doing it, and for me, it helps insure I'm drinking enough.

If you want to fuel, try and find out what the race will be providing (exact brand and flavors if possible), and try them out on one of your long runs to make sure they work and taste half-way decent.

OH, and of course, don't forget to smile for the cameras!!! All of my first half marathon pictures are of me looking like I'm about to die! I'm starting to get better about seeing them ahead of time now, so I can smile :)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Number one piece of advice - ENJOY! You're going to get a PB whatever happens!

Don't go out too fast is vital advice, and its an easy trap to fall into - you get carried away with the excitement, you're feeling good, then you realise that actually it's a pretty long way! If you don't have a watch telling you your pace, write your mile splits down your arm. Try to stick to them vaguely. Look out for pacers - I race pace sometimes as a volunteer and we can be really helpful! ;-)

I carry jelly babies with me in a belt, I often don't need them, but sometimes others around me are grateful for them! It doesn't hurt to pop one every couple of miles anyway, it's a bit of a treat! Practising taking on water is a good tip, especially if it is hot you'll need it. This said I agree with other posters, 13.1 isn't that far if it's cold you may not need it at every station - make sure you are fully hydrated beforehand.

I don't carb load as such for a HM but the night before we have a ritual pasta meal which we know doesn't interfere with our digestion systems, tried and tested many times over!

Good luck!

I think the not going out too fast is Key for me, I always seem to go out too fast in other races and run out of fumes towards the ends so I really need to practice this in my last long runs. Pacers I will look out for them, I need to really figure out in my last couple of long runs the pace that I want to run. I have noticed that when I train I run slower than when I race. So I really need to start running and race pace.

I have tried using SporstBeans during my long runs and I really like them.

Thanks for the advice I am getting really good advice
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Number 1 rule is not to do anything new for the race that you haven't done in training. No new clothes or shoes. Stick with your same fuel, before and during, that you use on your long runs. Since you have a few long runs left, you can experiment with fueling during your run. I prefer Gu (the gel). I tried gummies and didn't care for them. Even though many on here say fueling isn't needed for a half, I do feel much better when I fuel. I don't know if it is because of the large amount of calories I burn running (I am not at the highest level of fitness and I am carrying a fair amount of extra weight) or if it is more psychological. It is all individual.

I tend to have the ritual of eating pasta the night before a race. Not necessarily to carb load, but it tastes good, digests well, and doesn't upset my stomach. I had steak before a long run once and my stomach was miserable that whole run. Both dinner the night before your race and breakfast the day of are parts of your pre-race fueling, so don't do anything you haven't done during training.

I also still carry a lot of weight on me, and I believe that does not help me in running at a faster pace and I also feel that I need fuel to keep going. This Friday night I am going to try having pasta before my long run and see how I feel. I guess these couple of weeks is the time to experiment with a couple of things (not too drastic) to see if it does make a difference.

Thanks
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Excellent - I agree with the advice above with the exception of carbo loading...I would totally load for 48 hours before you run and avoid dairy and fats. True you don't need to load like you would a marathon but if you are running a decent pace, your body can start to get stripped even in a half. But, eat things you are used to eating and for sure nothing new on race day.
    Other advice....soak in every moment...running that distance is special, and something most cant or don't do. Have a great experience!
    Just wanted to add...that I am not a not a super elite runner like perhaps some of the others...I run a half in about 1:57..but I found that eating carbs leading up to my run helped me stay stronger at that pace than not eating them. The advice is right above in regards to no real wall to hit, but bonking does happen on half's! So, just my opinion here...all runners are different! (I've only run about 7 half's and one marathon)

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, I know I need to fuel properly I have not fueled correctly for other shorter races and I have bonked at the last 2 miles. I definitely do not want to bonk on the half. I really want to finish strong.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advise here !! I did my first half marathon back in October. To be honest it killed me!! I had done the course twice already, so it was not the course. I cramped up and that ruined my race. Since then I have learned that I need to carb load and I need to fuel during the race. I have done several several longer runs with the new realizations and have done well.

I have my second half coming up in 5 days, I am going into it a little less prepared as far as not knowing the course, but that is when following the pack comes in handy. But I will for sure have water and fuel on me. And I am having pasta the night before.

My advise is to have fun, its your only your "first" once. It will be great!!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I agree completely! Its always fun to race people nearby at the end.

I love turbo boosts! I never saw one on a course until my first marathon this year but they really do help! If you are unsure if they will be available perhaps you could ask some friends/family to bring one alone for you to use!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Have 3 goals for your race.
    A) The achievable reach - best time you think is possible
    B) A slower range that you will still be happy with
    C) To finish
    I am always happy if I finish but even happier if I can hit my A or B goal.

Take time to really enjoy the moment. It is a blessing to be able to move your body in this way. A blessing that not a ton of people experience.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I agree completely! Its always fun to race people nearby at the end.

I love turbo boosts! I never saw one installed on a course until my first marathon this year but they really do help! If you are unsure if they will be available perhaps you could ask some friends/family to bring some chalk and draw them on the course for you!

I need to see about these turbos boosts!! What is it exactly?