Day 4- After dinner weakling!

Options
Good morning everyone :smile:

It is day 4 of trying to switch over to Keto. If you look at my diary, I tend to do pretty well throughout the day, its the after dinner hours that seem to throw the game off. Im going to really give it my all, all day today. Am I alone in the evening battle?

Look forward to to your responses, I can use all the encouragement I can get ~

Have a great day!

Sarah

57250916.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've so far been great about not eating after dinner. If I have a snack its usually in the afternoon, and then the only thing I have after dinner is water. I've been trying to clean up the kitchen right after dinner and then stay out of there the rest of the night. I've also been crocheting or reading a lot in the evenings so I'm not thinking about food. And I'm going to bed at a more reasonable hour so I'm not up late snacking. Today is the beginning of week 3 for me.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get I to keto your carbs are too high and your fat is too low. If I'm not mistaken Your carbs should be under 25g for the first 2-4 weeks and no more than50g after that. Your fat should be 65-75% of your total daily intake. Carbs trigger hunger because they creat spikes and dips in blood sugar. The point of keto is to deplete your body of glycogen (what carbs are turned into) and force your body to find energy elsewhere. This won't happen if you keep filling your glycogen stores with all those carbs.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Use this to calculate your macros. Right now you are eating about 6 times the carb limit most people use for a ketogenic diet. You need to cut out grains and sugars, and get your carbs from veggies. I only looked at yesterday's diary, but if that is typical for you, you are not following a ketogenic diet and you will not get into ketosis.
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just recently started keto as well, and you have your percentages messed up. You are getting too many carbs, more protein than fat as well. If you would like to look at my diary it might help you. I don't use any of the coconut oil, or stuff like that. Just regular foods. Took me a bit to figure things out as well. You will get it, just stay positive.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i echo what others have said about your carb intake-- too high for keto diet. You should ditch the truvia, maybe get a liquid artificial sweenter with no carbs if you have to have it, and switch the half and half with heavy whipping cream. You will use less of it and it wont cost you so much carbs. You will need to ditch the rice cakes etc. I would not spend in carbs on rice cakes. I use my carbs for veggies, dark chocolate, peanut butter, and whipping cream. YUM!

You only should track FAT/CARBS/PROTIEN/FIBER. Every other macro you do not need to track on a keto diet unless you have a medical reason to track them.

Read up in the this forum or the LCHF forum they have great information.

Once you drop your high carb items you might notice your after dinner snacking or snacking will no longer be an issue. By keeping my fat macros over 70% I do not snack and can sometimes fast without even wanting to fast.

Good luck!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I took all your replies seriously and
    1- went grocery shopping for the right foods.
    2 - ATE the right foods :laugh:

Im pretty sure I hit a lot closer to my goals yesterday and felt really good going to bed. I didn't wake up snacky but I did have a headache ( which Im sure was due to almost zero sugar? ) and feel awesome today! It aint perfect but Im feeling more confidence than confusion now.

Thank you all for your support and the kind and direct way you all put it ~

Sarah

PS ~ I had tossed the half n half and used Heavy Cream and OMG!!! Im in heaven !!!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Good morning! I took all your replies seriously and
    1- went grocery shopping for the right foods.
    2 - ATE the right foods :laugh:

Im pretty sure I hit a lot closer to my goals yesterday and felt really good going to bed. I didn't wake up snacky but I did have a headache ( which Im sure was due to almost zero sugar? ) and feel awesome today! It aint perfect but Im feeling more confidence than confusion now.

Thank you all for your support and the kind and direct way you all put it ~

Sarah

PS ~ I had tossed the half n half and used Heavy Cream and OMG!!! Im in heaven !!!
    Soo glad to hear the small changes helped. The headache may be dehydration. A salty broth will help and it is amazing how good it will taste to you. I take a bouillon cube and boil it in a 1/4cup of water then add 1 3/4 cup of cool water and sip like a savory tea.
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This seems to be my problem too but lately I have been drinking apple-cinnamon hot tea for my "dessert" after dinner and it is SO YUMMY!!! I have never really found a hot tea that was flavorful to me, but you have seriously got to try this!!! So good!!! :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Soo glad to hear the small changes helped. The headache may be dehydration. A salty broth will help and it is amazing how good it will taste to you. I take a bouillon cube and boil it in a 1/4cup of water then add 1 3/4 cup of cool water and sip like a savory tea.

You've got the solution right - but not quite what the issue is.

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Definitely go heavier at the beginning of your journey. Broth is the easiest solution. For an extra bonus, add 1-2 tbsp heavy cream to your broth, and it will help boost your fat and satiation.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

You've got the solution right - but not quite what the issue is.

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Definitely go heavier at the beginning of your journey. Broth is the easiest solution. For an extra bonus, add 1-2 tbsp heavy cream to your broth, and it will help boost your fat and satiation.
    Love learning new things! Thanks
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it!! If you have any questions, just ask. :wink: