Breastfeeding calories

Options
krisbox2014
krisbox2014 Posts: 24 Member
Hi- Been reading everything I can find in this forum about setting TDEE macros etc. and it all has been so amazingly helpful, insightful, eye-opening (fill in the blank of excitable words). Some of the most informative posts have been your approach with the "real folks" and how you have used their stats to answer questions about setting the targets.

Question regarding the breastfeeding intake questions because I haven't found a real live person in this group who has answered yes (I'm sure they are there and I've missed them). I love that you include that on the intake, btw! I have a 10 month old I'm still breastfeeding at least 6-8x per day. How many calories do you typically account for in a breastfeeding woman?

Thanks in advance for your time and response!

Kristen

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what sidesteal or Sara suggest but usually you add on an extra 500 calories. If you cut too much your supply may diminish....
  • krisbox2014
    Options
    Thanks for the response and that is what I've heard as well. SS or Sara's input would be great!
  • krisbox2014
    Options
    Bump- thank you!
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi Kris - just my two cents until they respond - in my experience ( I BF my daughter until she was 16 months old while losing weight) The 500 calorie rule is pretty good until your baby starts eating solids. I found that by 10-12 months, I was only needing an extra 200-300 calories a day. After your baby starts eating solids, even though they may nurse 6-8 times a day, they aren't getting quite as much as they were a few months before. Or they might be getting the same volume, but the composition of the milk has changed. I think the best answer is to listen to your body. Reduce your extra calorie allotment by 100 calories for a week, and see how it goes. You're a pro at nursing by now, so you'll know if it's affecting your supply. Good luck!
  • krisbox2014
    Options
    Thanks! Very good idea. I'll try around 200 extra calories. While not hungry, I haven't had the best energy in the gym. Maybe I'm just shy of eating enough. I BF my first til she was 2.5 and lost the weight that I gained with her, but I was eating according to the Zone and starving all the time! The MFP method is working much better.

Still curious in how Sara and Sidesteel calculate the BF in intake questions.

Thanks again!