5 k Race for Life in July 2014

Options
Hi there - I am going to sign up for Race for Life in July and am hoping to use C25k to get me there. Tried it a couple of years ago but bottled after about 3 weeks :embarassed: Ended up walking most of my last R4L. Anyone planning to start within the next week or so? I really need to get myself in gear and nail it this time!

Replies

• amzypritchard
    amzypritchard Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing it! I did it a few years ago but had to walk most of it :P hopefully this year I can run it all! I think I'll be starting the start of next week! Feel free to add me and we can keep each other motivated!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    What was the challenge that caused you to stop after 3 weeks?
  • Corrie391
    Options
    What was the challenge that caused you to stop after 3 weeks?

Thanks for asking that Vardaemi - you really made me think about it! I think it was probably that I was expecting it to get easier week by week and (for me) it got a lot tougher and I just ducked out! How weak was that? :blushing: I was following a 9 week podcast plan and felt I was getting left behind.

Having you ask me made me think it through and I guess even if I follow the same plan (which is a good one) I don't HAVE to stick to it rigidly - I can still repeat a week or more if I need to ...the trick is just keep showing up, and not giving up!
  • Corrie391
    Options
    Hi amzypritchard! (Sorry for delay in responding - don't get on the Community as much as I'd like, but will try and check in most days now). Are you still aiming to start next Monday (3rd Feb)? I'll get ready to go then too. Good luck!
  • Corrie391
    Options
    Hey - all ready to go tomoro? Got my running clothes out and podcast all ready so no excuses! Good luck if you are starting tomoro!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think it was probably that I was expecting it to get easier week by week and (for me) it got a lot tougher and I just ducked out!

Physically it was getting easier, but to compensate for that the physical challenge increases. C25K is a programme in three stages, with two big psychological hurdles to cross; moving up to 8 minutes and moving to 20/ 25 minutes.

:)

It's an outlook thing
    I was following a 9 week podcast plan and felt I was getting left behind.

I started with the NHS Podcast series in May of last year, it took me about 12 weeks to complete the 9 week programme, I had to step back and repeat a week as my diary crammed it out, and I had a mild knee injury so took a break, then stepped back and repeated two weeks.

Think about tht end result that you're trying to achieve; continuous 30 minutes of running. As long as you're progressing feel free to repeat a couple of times if you need to. It does get easier.

Have fun.
  • Corrie391
    Options
    Yes, it's the NHS one I'm using too, same as last time, but I finally figured it out this time that it actually IS OK to repeat a week (or two or three...!) and as you suggest - just keep my eyes fixed on the end goal of running 30 mins continuously. As it's something I'd like to make a "lifestyle choice" for the longterm, I guess there is really no rush to complete it. I'd like to think I could "enjoy the journey" but I'm afraid I'm not there quite yet...!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's something I totally didn't get until graduation day. Thrill of accomplishment. Glow of achievement.

And then...now what? I had to find another plan and maybe an app to track the runs and I realized that running isn't a 9 week program - it's a "rest of my life" thing. That's not something to worry about yet. The 27 or so runs are a big enough chunk. But it does put repeating a day or a week into perspective.

Now about the level of effort. You'll need to learn how to slow down in order for the program to be manageable. Slow down lots. Week 4 kicks your butt if you are still going too fast.

However, if you have found a manageable pace, it's going to stay the same amount hard from week three onward. It might get more fun or rewarding and you'll go further and faster, but it'll stay about the same amount hard.

What will get easier is the rest of your life. Moving day? Plenty of energy. A day at an amusement park? No biggie. Walk up a mountain? Child's play. Chasing your kids? As long as you need to.
  • Corrie391
    Options

However, if you have found a manageable pace, it's going to stay the same amount hard from week three onward. It might get more fun or rewarding and you'll go further and faster, but it'll stay about the same amount hard.

What will get easier is the rest of your life. Moving day? Plenty of energy. A day at an amusement park? No biggie. Walk up a mountain? Child's play. Chasing your kids? As long as you need to.

What a brilliant way to look at it! Gonna print that out and stick it on the calendar for when the going gets tough (again!).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you like it that much, I'll have to properly attribute it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/small-miracles

The piece made so much sense to me that I instantly incorporated it into my running philosophy.
  • Corrie391
    Options
    Thanks - it's a very good article.