Treadmill Running

Options
trixie315
trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
I will be doing all the training and the 5k on a treadmill. I don't know about where you all live but it is COLD here in MN so will have to get this done inside. Tonight I am going to pick up a treadmill from a friend who is giving it away. There is nothing wrong with it but he can't use it anymore due to an injury and needs more space in his house. Any ideas on treadmill running? Typically when I use the one at the gym I go at a slight incline and run at a 5.5 jog normally.

Replies

• molinette
    molinette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try to vary the incline as this will increase your anaerobic fitness. one of the best things you can do is to do interval training, i.e. run at full pelt for a minute, walk/more gentle run for 2 mins and repeat as many times as possible. you'll find you increase fitness and endurance a lot faster this way!
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip!!
  • sweetmommyofthree
    sweetmommyofthree Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The run walk intervals are what the C25K have me doing. Definitely feel it working.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The strategy I'm using at the moment is alternating days of running and days of walking at an incline.
    Alternating days:
    Day 1:
    5-minute warmup, then...
    Four sets of 10 minutes, running for X amount of time and walking for the remainder of the set.
    (at first I could hardly do 2 min intervals like this, presently I'm up to 4 min and adding 15 seconds to it every few days).

Day 2:
    5-minute warmup, then...
    10 min @ 5% incline
    5 @ 2%
    10 @ 5%
    5 @ 2%
    10 @ 5%

There are easy ways to up the difficulty of the workouts: upping the running time on day 1, upping the incline % on day 2, and (of course) adding sets to the session.

For the record, I've never found success with C25K. Anyway, it doesn't work for ME.
    As with so many things, it's not about finding something that generally "works"; it's about something that works for YOU.