Crohn's Disease - book suggestions

Options
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this one. My best friend's wee boy has just been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, he is only 8 years old :( He had pretty much constant diarrhoea for 3 months and was finally taken into hospital just before Christmas when he received treatment and was fed through a nasogastric tube as his weight had dropped below 40lb! Anyway, he is home now and still receiving nasogastric feeds and is also on a "clear" diet (Jelly etc) but she is allowed to reintroduce food in about 3 weeks. The consultant suggested that "white bread" should be the first food to reintroduce. My friend just about fell off her chair as she had been considering gluten free as a way to go. I was intending to send her a couple of books that I thought might help. I have a copy of "Against all Grain" myself - the author has ulcerative colitis (autoimmune and similar to Crohn's) and the book also has a section on cooking for kids, so I was going to send her that (I can recommend the coconut crepes). Does anyone have any suggestions on books that might give her some more ideas, maybe looking at the science a bit more (she is a nurse). I wasn't sure which of the books are best from the perspective of the autoimmune protocol? Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    If you look into Paleo Mom,she is a scientist and has written loads on Auto Immune Disease as well as other topics.All from a science based background.
    Here is the link on A.I.P
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity
    Here is a link on Robb Wolfe's site about Crohn's
    http://robbwolf.com/2013/02/11/healing-chrohns-disease-feel-absolutely-normal-time-10-years/ (it's not a book but a testimonial)
    and here is one from the Paleo Nurse
    http://thepaleonurse.com/tag/crohns-disease/
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend "Wheat Belly" which really show how badly wheat effects our whole bodies and why it has gotten so bad the last 50 years.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks - that Paleo Mom site has loads of stuff. Looks really good :)
  • Michellelynn04
    Michellelynn04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's Disease, and I will be the first to tell you to have her stay away from basically any type of bread! Everyone is different, but since I've been doing Paleo, which has been around 6 months, I have not had any problems with flare-ups. Fruits and vegetables are, unfortunately, hit-or-miss for me. I can't eat a lot of berries or citrus, but he may be able to. It's very person-to-person the way the body handles certain foods. I really believe that staying away from grains is very important for steering clear of flare-ups.
    I'm so sorry he has to deal with this.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My son was diagnosed with crohns at 11. It is a tough, nasty disease! He has had great success med-free using an auto immune paleo diet plus probiotics and a smoothie/liquid meal at least once per day(usually breakfast). If you or your friend have any questions feel free to message me. I have done loads of research. Good luck.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend "breaking the vicious cycle". We have followed the diet very strictly to heal one of our children; our whole family of 5 is doing the diet and its defintely a challenge and even though there are days when I hate this diet it has changed our sons life in a major way and has made changes for all of us. I know it's a diet people some people with Crohn's turn to.
    Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it more!
    ~M