Severe pain in chest

Options
Arthemise1
Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
Here's a question for those with a LapBand. I've had mine for a few years. The day before yesterday, I ate pizza (yes, I'm bad occasionally). Usually it's OK. However, this time, I got a sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my chest. This is not the normal place for pain when something gets stuck (which is more in the center). The pain made me throw up a few times, which seemed to fix the pain. I figured something got stuck, even if it was in a weird location. At supper, I again had this sharp stabbing pain. I waited it out, and then eventually the pain made me throw up again. Nothing came up, and the pain didn't go away. I took Vicodin twice, and the pain stayed with me til I finally went to sleep. Yesterday I had some eggs and bacon for breakfast, and hurt a little. I then had only liquids for the rest of the day, thinking my band needed a rest. I'm kind of afraid to eat today.

So my question is: have you had this type of pain? Why would it be off to one side and so intense? Any idea what this could be? I haven't had anything to cause a band slippage, and I can eat most things without a problem. I'm wondering if I need to see my doctor; he's two hours away, so it's not an easy thing.

Replies

• LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely go see your doctor.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please at least call your surgeon! Let us know how you are doing.
  • Arthemise1
    Options
    I got in touch with the doctor's nurse, and we talked. I've been doing OK today, so I'm going to see how it goes. If I have that pain again, I'll make an appointment to see the doctor. It's just very weird because I've never had that pain before, not in that place, and certainly nothing that severe. I certainly never want it again!
  • Arthemise1
    Options
    The nurse called back, and the doctor want to see me. So we'll see what he says Thursday.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hope everything goes well and nothing serious is wrong. But it is definitely better to know for sure. Glad you are seeing your doc.
  • Arthemise1
    Options
    The doctor said I probably had an esophageal spasm. I've been fine this week, so that's a relief. He wants me to get a barium swallow just to make sure my band is placed properly. Ick.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Keep us posted.
  • barneygirl
    barneygirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hope all is well, it can be scary at times. Does anyone here w/lapband get a lower backache when they eat?
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whew! Glad things seem to be okay.!
  • BrwnEyedGrl1987
    Options
    I had pain like that once. I had the RYN and not the band but it was so bad that I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out I was having a gall stone attack. Two weeks later I had my gallbladder out. Do you still have yours? I'd get it checked out just in case since it's common to develop stones during rapid weight loss.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I hope all is well, it can be scary at times. Does anyone here w/lapband get a lower backache when they eat?

Lower back pain can be gallbladder related