Obese and Doing YAYOG

Options
I just started this program on Monday. Today was day 3. Loving it so far! However, I was looking further into the program and am wondering if the progression is realistic for someone my size (5'4" and 192 lbs). I see on week 5 there are assisted door pull ups and elevated push ups. Since I have so much extra weight on my body, should I be doubling the program? Like, instead of doing each block for 2 weeks, do each for 4 weeks?

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started with YAYOG and then switched to Body By You (the female version of YAYOG). The progressions were much slower but I got really bored. So, now I've gone back to YAYOG. I think what I'm going to do get as far as I can in YAYOG and then either switch out some exercises for easier ones that I can actually do or loop back to the beginning until I can accomplish the natural progression of YAYOG. Haven't gotten there yet, so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Good luck!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that if you can't complete a week, you should continue on anyway (then, when you're done you can start back at week 1) , which is what I did when I found myself in your position.

Most of the exercises I had to modify to do easier versions, but I still was very happy with it. It meant that the workouts were much less repetitive than they would have been if I'd done each week for a month or so until I could complete everything.

IMO, one of the best things about YAYOG is the excellent job he does providing ways to modify all of the different exercises so that you can make the difficulty perfectly suited to your body and strength and endurance levels.
  • yash_hh
    yash_hh Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello strong....

your question is really a good one.

Is ist realistic to bring an untrained Person to a few assited Pull Ups within 6 weeks. The answer is very simple. YES Absolutly.

There are a few things to consider:

1. How do you train?
    2. What do you eat?

Everybody got it's own way to train. There are people like my me. I don't really like to train. but when I do it's better be effective. So I train as hard as I can. And try to maintain a nearly perfect form till muscular failure. Till the Sweat is dripping. For Example I made 106 Squats in Week2 Workout 4 that is pretty close to the max possible. And I after my training I tried to walk down to my wife to watch TV and nearly did fall down the stairs because my legs refused to carry me downstairs.
    Other people like to go till the Point the realize it's getting really hard.
    As you may see both are doing the training and both are reaching goals but the gain will be bigger the harder you push yourself. There are a few De-/motivationals around that pretty explain it 4 me.
    Here one of the best:
    If you still look pretty after training you didn't train hard enough.
    There is also a component of what youre doing after your training. I work in an office so to train hard and nearly handicaped due to pain in my muscles (in germany we call it "Muskelkater" like a Hangover for your muscles) isnt a Problem. I couldn't train this hard if I was doing my wifes job she is working in a Kindergarden so she needs to move a lot every day.

These many factors of personality and other things that you need to have in mind are the big difference between people who can do 1 assisted pull up after the 10 weeks and people who can do 5 normal pull-ups.

2. Your Body needs some food to build muscles so if you are on a lowcarb diet your body will be able to build more muscles as if you are on a 1350 calories a day diet. Your Body don't need carbs to build muscles. And you shouldn't eat things you can't directly see what they are made of.

Please excuse my really poor and bad english. I never lived in USA or England so this is just my little school english. Greets from Germany
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Those were about my stats when I started. I just slogged on through, and I modified a couple of the exercises that I had trouble with. but I did decide to repeat the basic level again.
  • ithink2020
    ithink2020 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Another option is to get the YAYOG DVDs. The workouts (even the novice ones) are intense, but there are no pulling movements. Work on the Novice workouts, until you get get through the 3 workouts without taking a breaks, then stay on them for another few weeks perfecting your form. Then move up to the Intermediate workouts, doing the same thing. Then to the Adv. once you are ready.

This is what I'm doing. Just started my 3rd week or the Novice DVDs. My hope is that after I complete the three levels, I'll have lost enough weight and become fit enough to do the Basic round or EFX (another DVD program by Mark). I had started Basic before my daughter was born and I thought at 5 weeks things got really hard, had to choose easier movements. I stopped a week before she was born, but then got the DVDs for Christmas. So I've started to work with those.

I will say your will see result just was quickly with the DVDs, as you will with the 10 week programs.

Matt
    Friend me here on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ithink2020
    Follow me on Twitter: @MatthewASchmitt
    My Blog: http://ithink2020.blogspot.com/
  • andit001
    andit001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To add even another option which is free, I can suggest the YAYOG app. There's a free circuit training in there.

Mark often suggested to people having trouble doing basic or the YAYOG DVD to do 20 minutes of novice circuit training 3 times a week for a couple of weeks to get started.

If you're really starting out really weak you can start with 10 minutes or so. The app is really handy to get started.
  • yash_hh
    yash_hh Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Short Question here to iThink2020. With wich workout did you start? Or did you even start?

The first workouts from YAYOG in the basic Programm are really easy. I suggest you read the instructions on every Excercise.

For Example.

The elevated Push Ups.
    When i first tried the Programm in 2012 I started making them at the wall at about 1,5m un a sideboard over my heating.
    But still I was able to do a normal Push up in week 3.
    There is nothing in asking questions and talk about it but it's time you start doin it.

I started on January the 2nd 2014 and yesterday I started week5 a day early because I couldn't wait another day as it was planed to finish the 7 days of week 4. And I did about 20 elevated Push Ups (2x5 are in the Programm but I made more because I had the Power to do it) from wich I thought that they won't be possible for me and my 110 kg Body for a long time.

At the end of this training I had a muscular failure while doing the last 12 Dips (at the 10) and everytime a Training ends like this I Know I did what i planned. I brought myself in and worked hard till my limits are reached. And I know that next week I will finish this Porgramm without Muscular Failure.

So coming to a Limit where you can't move your muscle anymore isn't a bad thing it's the Point where great gain starts.

So dedicate under 2% of your time per day (7 days a 24 hours = 168 hours / 4 Workouts a 0.6 Hours = 2.4 hours) to this training and keep going the whole 36 mins go slower if you getting tired. You can do it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 211. I choose to do the Body by You exercises, but supplement them with others, like tricep dips. I am a long way off from doing a pull up, even with assistance. I have the YAYOG app and sometimes do those routines with the adapted exercises, but I haven't really followed through on those.