Getting Keto Adapted with Hypoglycemia

Options
I keep trying to tough it out when my blood sugar drops, but there are certain instances, like when I'm working (I have a pretty physically demanding job, I walk all night, stack heavy things, etc.) and when my sugar drops suddenly I simply cannot function. Tonight the only decent option I had when this happened was a banana. It got me straightened out, but totally blew my carb count for the day, even when I figure in the exercise I did today.

Any recommendations for ways to bring my blood sugar to an acceptable level without anything too carby? Help is appreciated.

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Have you cleared this way of eating with your doctor, what did they suggest in times like you describe?

The problem with doing an extreme diet change when you have a medical condition and leaving your doctor out of it, is you coming to a board and asking questions we aren't qualified to answer. It is always encouraged that you talk over any diet change with your doctor because they are the ones qualified to help you understand the effects of the diet on you and your personal health issues and concerns.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Reddit may be a better place to research this. Here are various threads that discuss this -

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=hypoglycemia&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

(and you should discuss with your doctor)
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    My doc actually approves of a low carb/ keto diet to help my hypoglycemia, joint pain and fibromyalgia. When I started last time I did okay, but I wasn't going as low on the carb counts, I was still eating fruit and higher carb veggies like tomatoes and carrots which I have been avoiding like a plague this time around. Up til now my rebound food is usually a piece of fruit, a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or piece or two of cheese to get over that drop. The only issue with the hypoglycemia is that anything with a moderate to high GI sends my sugar soaring and then crashing terribly again, starts a vicious cycle. I was just wondering what foods other than fruits (which are generally high in carbs) would be sufficient to get a little boost without going overboard.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you test your blood glucose when you have the symptoms of hypoglycemia? How low does your sugar go? Is it within a normal/target range that your doctor suggested?

I recently complained to my doc of a sense of fatigue and I reduced my exercise due to it. He has been very supportive of a keto diet due to my excellent blood results (a1c of 8.4 to 5.7 in 3 months). He told me that my hypoglycemia reaction (even thou my glucose was well around normal or on target) was due to my body adjusting to the less amount of carbs I was giving my body to burn. He said my body will take time to adjust to working with the different and lower fuel source. It some what makes sense to me.

My go to snack that I have is a tablespoon of natural PB, 1 square of lindt 85% cocoa chocolate, and 2 tbs of whip cream. I have it when I feel a little tired or hungry and keeps me going until my next meal.

Verify your glucose targets with your doc, and check your blood when you feel that your blood sugar has dropped. Good luck!
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    Thanks for your response, I will try taking the monitor with me to work so I can check what the level actually is when I get "that feeling", maybe it is just something I need to fight through. And I'll discuss with my doc at the next appointment. Haven't had it happen again since the other day but I have been working to get more fat in, so that may be the game changer.
  • cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you taking insulin? I have never heard of BG going too low w/o taking insulin. I can't find the article so some of my facts might be wrong, but I remember in the 1940's under careful supervision, a doctor took two people who were already in ketosis and injected them with insulin. There BG dropped to the 20's or 30's and they were fine. Had no bad symptoms, good mental abilities, etc.

Of course today, they would never allow such an experiment to be done.