January chat/natter/gossip thread

Options
1235»

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    This is why you just want to put weight on the bar and lift. Don't let your head psych you out like I've let it me.. this is not a pretty graph!

341c8382-66a5-4d1a-b611-c2b9b68e73a9.jpg
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was glad of my strong legs today, I dropped my car off for some work and an mot. I had to cycle back - it's only about 6 miles and fairly flat but last time I cycled my slow punture was getting pretty fast so I changed the tyre and inner last night.

Some where along the line I went wrong I _think_ it is the tyre that is a little bigger and getting stuck on the frame. But whatever it is the wheel does not now turn freely, even pushing the bike along the wheel is stationary! I set off hoping it would free up. It did not so I spent almost an hour doing a 20 minute journey. I was travelling marginally faster than walking and putting in an immense amount of effort. It half killed me and wiped out my time for going to the gym. On a positive note at least my legs got a workout .

I have to pick my car up Friday. Looks like I am servicing my bike tonight then!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Just saying hello since it has been quiet in here.

Another cold day here....
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

new to the group and Stronglifts - I'll be starting this Monday 5am so I can use this weekend to work out where to start :) Excited and nervous, having never lifted before. I'll be lurking around gathering tips from you all... there's a lot to take in!

Just a hello! :smile:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Hey folks,

new to the group and Stronglifts - I'll be starting this Monday 5am so I can use this weekend to work out where to start :) Excited and nervous, having never lifted before. I'll be lurking around gathering tips from you all... there's a lot to take in!

Welcome to the group!

Start at the bar. First few sessions may be light, but you will increase quickly and this is the time to get muscle memory and form down. Especially since you haven't lifted before. If you find the bar is too much weight (possible for bench and OHP), drop down to a fixed weight bar or dumbbells.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

welcome :bigsmile:
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Welcome to the group!

Start at the bar. First few sessions may be light, but you will increase quickly and this is the time to get muscle memory and form down. Especially since you haven't lifted before. If you find the bar is too much weight (possible for bench and OHP), drop down to a fixed weight bar or dumbbells.

thanks both! I'll have a good go at working out the form and the moves this weekend so Monday morning makes more sense in my bleary eyes state :D
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

Welcome! Don't just lurk, join in! Let us know how it goes on Monday. :smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Just checking in since I haven't participating in the group very much lately.

Welcome to the new people!
    Congrats to the future mother-in-law!
    Jealous of those of you taking cruises.

I'm going to a women's-only powerlifting seminar on Saturday. It's being hosted by Caitlyn Trout. I'm really excited about it. :happy:
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been lurking for awhile, and I just wanted to thank you guys for being positive and supportive! Newcomers are actually welcomed, and that is awesome!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers!

So I got that lower back "twinge" thing on my 4th set of bench presses on my workout just now, and because I didn't want to risk it, I deloaded down 10 lbs and did an additional set of 5. We will see how it feels tomorrow, but I did my squats afterwards and made sure to stabilize everything carefully and it didn't seem to exacerbate anything. Fortunately, I am traveling with my son for soccer so it will let me rest my huge bulky muscles for a bit.

Separately--there are two posters going at it in one of the recipe threads--they are debating a misunderstanding about cream cheese in a stuffed french toast casserole vs. french toast. It's amusing but it's making me hungry!
  • girlie100
    Options
    YAY welcome new members :bigsmile:

just bumping this thread to say: SERIOUS BACK DOMS TODAY! Heavy deads day kicked my Ar$e!!! lol
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm knackered after yesterday, it wasn't until after I was in bed I realised I totally forgot to do OHPs between my squats and deadlift! what a wazzock. a knackered wazzock, but one nonetheless.. :)
  • girlie100
    Options
    hahaha lydia, total gym fog brain! I've had those days... after 5 sets of heavy deads you should have seen how long it took me to work out how to get 99kg on the bar for deficit deads hahaha barbell maths fail!! :laugh:
  • EatAllTheCake
    EatAllTheCake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)

Just saw this thread and wanted say hello. I have workout endorphins right now, just got back from the gym, wow! I never got this from cardio and circuits, always just felt drained and exhausted, this is nice!
  • girlie100
    Options
    Hi and welcome :bigsmile:

Lifting big weights makes me smile too :drinker:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies!

Just wanted to vent that one of my friends statuses was talking about switching to the TDEE method and one of her friends mentioned that she ate BMR-300 calories and when I said you shouldn't eat below your BMR she basically wanted to start an argument. I understand medical things need different approaches, but why eat less if you don't have to :sad:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Just wanted to vent that one of my friends statuses was talking about switching to the TDEE method and one of her friends mentioned that she ate BMR-300 calories and when I said you shouldn't eat below your BMR she basically wanted to start an argument. I understand medical things need different approaches, but why eat less if you don't have to :sad:

Totally agree. Sometimes it seems like people don't want to believe that you can lose weight without being hungry and at a reasonable deficit instead of eating so far below where they could be.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

Nothing much for me, getting back into the SL groove while taking the boxing classes. Lots of fun to be had!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Today's lift session is postponed--my son had abdominal pains last night that seemed fairly severe, so we brought him to the ER and were there until 1 a.m. in the morning. Thankfully, he is fine (constipation due to traveling for soccer, not eating enough fiber, etc.) However, they gave him a little bit of pain medication to take some of the edge off---and it made him super loopy. He decided that the emergency room was SUPER fun and LOVED the CT scan machine, and kept talking about what fun he was having. But in spite of all that "fun," we are all on the tired/exhausted side today. I'm dragging through work, and it looks like it's going to be an early bedtime for all of us.:yawn:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I think ER is a good enough excuse! Hope you are all back to normal soon.

I have been skiving. I need to finish my "fourth" week of this program and then it switches up a bit. I did about 8-10 weeks of SL, I did 3 weeks of this both three times a week. Then since about the end of November I have been not finishing my fourth week. I just can't commit and get in to my routine, I either start and something comes up or well I do MWF and it's now Tuesday and that's my day for a big dog walk so I will start next week...

So I bit the bullet last night and went after work. I normally go in the morning but getting out of bed is an issue in the dark! I did my A workout, tonight I went back and did B as well as taking the dogs for a bike ride. (managed a cheeky half day in work) So tomorrow is C. I am concerned, I need to do this and complete a week. Then I have my motivation to go Monday morning and I will be back in my routine. But, I have DOMS still from yesterday, plus today now and I am a little afraid of tomorrow. If I don't go then I have another unfinished week. There is no way I will go over the weekend, I know tomorrow is the hardest workout for me and the one I did today creates the most DOMS. I went to a work do tonight and there was a buffet tea, I estimated calories to be pretty high but all the wrong sort so I have not even eaten right today There is no way I will want to get out of bed and get my *kitten* to the gym tomorrow for a workout I know is going to cripple me but I must must must finish this. If I do not post a workout tomorrow ladies then you all can give me h*ll as I deserve it for being a flakey quitter!

On a positive note the dogs and the bike ride was an experiment, I have to push while they are on lead til we get to the woods but then they can go off and we cover loads more ground than when I walk in a much quicker time and they love love loved it! They pretty much just ran the whole time along side me. Their faces were great, having such a good time and now they are all shattered which is even better as it means I get a bit of peace lol!