Mental Hurdle

Options
I'm having a hard time accepting that I am heading in to Week 4, or that I am ready for it.

Week 4: run 3 min (which I can do, walk 90 seconds, run 5 min. . . wait, what? Run 5 min? Am I ready for that? That's a long time in my head. Am I really ready for that?

I know there are more of these mental hurdles that will need to be overcome (like the jump to 20 min).

But HELP!!!

I think the worst part is the fear of failure. . . what if I really can't (and I am all for self talk, and being positive and all that, but really WHAT IF).

Is anyone here in Week 4, or past it?

Replies

• piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you don't try and push your limits you will never know what you are really capable of. I start week 4 today and I have been having some of the same thoughts, but we can do it! I say give it a try and if it totally doesn't work then you know and can re-do a couple days of week 3 and then try again next week. Did you totally want to die after the 3 minutes last week? If not I would say that you will probably surprise yourself and make 5 minutes. Good luck!!!!!!
  • cofomostwanted
    cofomostwanted Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not but once you get into the longer runs I find it harder to take a walking break and get back into it. It's like once you run so far your body just hits a rhythm and you could go forever. I find that after I take a walk break the first couple of minutes of the next run are pure torture but if you keep pushing you get past that and it doesn't feel so bad anymore. I just focus on keeping my breathing rhythm and think about how great I'm going to look at the end of all this!
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You know, I didn't want to die at 3 min, it was tough, but not unmanageable.

I was supposed to start today, and am in total beat-up mode because I missed the gym this morning. Tomorrow, I will start.

How did your W4D1 go?
  • mrsjones2point0
    Options
    Believe it or not but once you get into the longer runs I find it harder to take a walking break and get back into it. It's like once you run so far your body just hits a rhythm and you could go forever. I find that after I take a walk break the first couple of minutes of the next run are pure torture but if you keep pushing you get past that and it doesn't feel so bad anymore. I just focus on keeping my breathing rhythm and think about how great I'm going to look at the end of all this!

This is what I'm striving for, finding that Rhythm! Thanks!!
  • piercedee
    Options
    I am not going to lie it sucked but I survived. I did have to slow down and decrease my incline but I made it and hope to get back to my usual pace on Thursday. I found that if I get into a song at the beginning of the 5 minute stretch when it is over I have less than 3 minutes to run and I know I can do that. It is the mind game that seems to work for me.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just slow down a little in the beginning like turtle speed. Then toward the end pick it up a little. If you try to run full steam ahead the first go round it may tire you out.
  • piercedee
    Options
    I also don't think it helped that I am pretty sure I am fighting a cold of some sort. I think the inhaler will be involved tomorrow.
  • GetFitForAJ
    GetFitForAJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried Week 4 this monday in gym. I had to split the last 5 mins into two 2.5 minutes. I was surprised that I could do the first 3 runs. You would never know until you try it. I have also seen people repeating the same week until they get a hold of it. Good luck! I am sure you will be able to do it.
  • mrsjones2point0
    Options
    I did it! I did it! I did it!

And I did die (although at parts I felt like I was, lol).

W4D1 down the tubes, with two full 5 minutes runs. I had to take a 30 second walk in the middle of the second 3 min rotation, but other than that, I TOTALLY DID THAT!!!

I may spend a couple weeks at this level until it's more comfortable for me. . .but I did it, I ran for 5 minutes IN A ROW. . .with noone chasing me, lol.
  • bijoux79
    Options
    YAY!!! well done hun, thats awesome
  • piercedee
    Options
    I did it! I did it! I did it!

And I did die (although at parts I felt like I was, lol).

W4D1 down the tubes, with two full 5 minutes runs. I had to take a 30 second walk in the middle of the second 3 min rotation, but other than that, I TOTALLY DID THAT!!!

I may spend a couple weeks at this level until it's more comfortable for me. . .but I did it, I ran for 5 minutes IN A ROW. . .with noone chasing me, lol.

CONGRATS!!!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm learning just how powerful those Mental Hurdles can be!

Saturday I tried to run Wk5D3 -- 20 mins straight! I felt I'd been avoiding this by just repeating days 1 & 2 of week 5. Long story short - I couldn't do it! I did however go 16.5 minutes -- longer than I hoped for! You can't imagine how much mental prepping I had to do and really "psych myself up" to do it. I heard myself saying in the background - "you'll never make it. the most you've ever run is 8 minutes". That's the negative me talking. Then the positive me says "what have you got to lose? I you'll never know unless you try..."

I never felt so exhilirated (or sweaty lol) before! I can do this!

It's a never-ending battle, but one I'm determined to win!! I'm gonna try it again, then move on to week 6. :drinker:
  • mrsjones2point0
    Options
    THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!

I'm getting back on board! This is what I want!!!