atrial fibrillation

Options
maesgrammie
maesgrammie Posts: 22 Member
Just wondering if anyone else in this group lives with afib and how it affects your ability to exercise. I had a pacemaker implanted last November and while it's greatly improved the quality of my life I still have some breathing issues. I seem to run out of breath sooner than I like while walking or doing aerobics, even some of my warm-ups before strength training leave me huffing and puffing. I am a former smoker - been nicotine free for 10 years now - but didn't have this problem before my afib diagnosis a year ago. I keep hoping that it's a question of getting back into shape and dropping some of the weight that accumulated during the last year of sedentary living and that I'm just impatient now that I'm feeling so much better. Anyone have any insight?? I'd love to hear about it if you do.

Replies

• mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have afib too. I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago. I take meds that keep my heart rate slower. I went for years without a problem but now I seem to have one episode a year where I have to go to emergency and they get me back into sinus rhythm.

I too lose my breath a bit and just have learned to just keep going. I never smoked so I know that is not a factor.

I use the fitbit to monitor my activity as a heart monitor is useless - my rate is suppressed. I know that getting over stressed, over tired and not drinking enough water can trigger me. I have been losing slow and steady for a few years now and that seems to be the best for me.
  • maesgrammie
    maesgrammie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I had trouble with SVT off and on for about 10 years before the afib diagnosis a year ago. My doc tried meds, a cardioversion, catheter ablation and finally the pacemaker. Amazing little piece of technology! My afib was in constant mode and after the ablation it would jump back and forth. Problem there was that my heart stopped for 5 seconds with every switch and I would black out. Never knew when it was going to happen and I was lucky that I only fell once. I lived with that for 4 1/2 months (my poor husband) until the pacemaker. I think I've just been impatient - I walked outside for 45 minutes this morning and I realized that I was sometimes holding my breath and that my neck, shoulders and back were tensed up, kinda waiting for the next fainting episode. I concentrated on relaxing this morning and it went much better. So that seems to be the key. I need to relax and enjoy myself like I used to. Congratulations on your 45 pound loss - slow and steady is always the recommended way to do anything. I'm using a training schedule in hopes of being ready to walk a half marathon at the end of April. I figure if that doesn't whip me into shape not much will. Thanks again, hope you accept my friend request and keep me posted on your continued success. Linda