3 weeks before Sleeve Surgery

Options
Hi everyone! I am scheduled to have my sleeve surgery in three weeks, only a few days until I start my pre-op Protein - low carb diet... I am a little nervous, does anyone have any suggestions, tips?

Replies

• sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I wish I had tips for you. Am 2 weeks from sleeve surgery and starting my pre-op diet tomorrow. I wish the preop visit had gone better. I'm a bundle of nerves now. Everything worked out by the end of the visit but for a while it didn't seem like their right hand knew what their left hand was doing. And the surgeon was over an hour late. Yikes!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You have both come to the right place I am sure our members will start responding to you soon.

I haven't gotten to this yet sorry.

GOOD LUCK to both of you! Stay active in this group and you will get great advice! Add some of the members as your friends also to get a little more personal help!

BEST WISHES and congratulations on Changing Your Lives!
    Jena:flowerforyou:

Here is another thread of folks who have had the sleeve done.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1164207-looking-for-sleeve-pals
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I feel is super important before surgery is to start doing the things now that you will have to do after surgery, such as sipping water all day long and exercising. Also, prepare now for the first few weeks after surgery. Make sure you have all of the protein, liquids, medications etc. that you will need readily available. After surgery, make sure you manage your pain well, don't overdo it too soon, and get enough rest! Last but not least, follow your surgeon's instructions and do the things you are supposed to do. I know it sounds simple, but many people don't do what they need to do, and it can cause problems.

I had my surgery in October and I am feeling great and my quality of life has improved SOOOO much! It's an amazing and life-changing experience, and I am so glad I made the decision to have the surgery! Good luck to both of you!
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im doing my pre-op diet very early and they have me doing a no sugar/no carb/no starch/no grain diet one week and then the liquid diet the next week.

Advice during food week:
    Dont focus on calories, focus on portion control. Get used to eating your protein first then whatever fruit or vegetable you have with your meal.
    Practice chewing your food well. It will help you slow down your eating habits and also feel full faster.
    Practice sipping water and not drinking water for 1 hour after eating. (OMG this is the HARDEST thing I am still trying to get used to. Im used to drinking water during meals and also chugging water which are both huge no-no's)

Advice during liquid week:
    If you start feeling hungry, then its probably time for you to drink something.
    You are going to get really tired of drinking liquid so sugar-free jello, Popsicle, and light yogurt are going to be heavenly.
    Whatever protein powder you choose, try to get both a vanilla and a chocolate. They will get boring so I put cinnamon in both, or you can also flavor your vanilla protein powder with a Crystal Light zero cal flavor. Also Im going to get powdered peanut butter and put those in my shakes for some flavor.
    http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Light-Flavor-Liquid-Variety/dp/B00CAV2F5U/ref=pd_sim_gro_2
    http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JWS
    Broth is good because its like a whole meal flavor in your mouth. Try a couple different brands/varieties because they are NOT all created equal.

Biggest advice though is to remember if you are feeling hungry, check to see where you are at in the day because chances are you are hungry because you forgot to drink something. It can be difficult at times to fit in all that liquid in a day, especially if your sick and tired of drinking.

Dont get too hung up on the 'no-carbs' because you get used to it and there are TONS of alternatives. My favorite so far being this: http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Asian-Organic-Spaghetti-7-05-Ounce/dp/B004NSEU56

But that all depends on what your nutritionist says about soybeans, starches, grains.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Unjury (Brand name). Has an excellent Chicken broth protein powder. I still use it 3 years out, in dips, mashed potatoes, regular soups. to boost protein. Also they have unflavored protein powder.

Practice making a meal take at least 30 min. Cut food now into small bites and chew the tiny pieces. Interesting to watch in a restaurant or work cafeteria, how big. bites of food people put in their mouths at one bite, chew a couple of times, gulps down and then drink a huge amount to wash it down. I have seen people put a 2x2 inch piece of meat in their mouths and essentially swallow it whole. Now if I could get my DH to eat slower with me. LOL
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I feel is super important before surgery is to start doing the things now that you will have to do after surgery, such as sipping water all day long and exercising. Also, prepare now for the first few weeks after surgery. Make sure you have all of the protein, liquids, medications etc. that you will need readily available. After surgery, make sure you manage your pain well, don't overdo it too soon, and get enough rest! Last but not least, follow your surgeon's instructions and do the things you are supposed to do. I know it sounds simple, but many people don't do what they need to do, and it can cause problems.

I had my surgery in October and I am feeling great and my quality of life has improved SOOOO much! It's an amazing and life-changing experience, and I am so glad I made the decision to have the surgery! Good luck to both of you!

This is great advice. The more you get used to doing things now, voluntarily, the easier it will be to do them later, when you MUST.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you so much! Am day 2 into the pre-op diet which is 3 shakes and 1 lean cuisine each day. I'm feeling pretty crabby on less than 800 calories a day. I will see the nutritionist tomorrow and maybe get more advice but hope I don't have the urge to strike out at anyone in the next few days. LOL
  • themexcellentone
    Options
    Keep sipping on water...you will need to get used to this post-op as you do not want to get dehydrated.

Keep yourself busy so that you do not think about food. My pre-op diet was 3 weeks of protein drinks plus one lean and green meal daily, and while it was tough, it was totally worth it in the end. Don't cheat on your pre-op diet. Think about why you're doing it, and what the benefit of sticking to it will be.

The pre-op diet is the toughest part. After surgery it is smooth sailing.

Good luck!