I need some low fat recipe ideas

Options
kgreenRDLDN
kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
Here's the situation. I will be doing a cooking demo with my Diabetes Prevention Class and need some new recipes. We need low cal/low fat as they are working on weight loss. I need to incorporate veggies, and I need to be able to have them make it and cook it within 45 minutes time as the class is only 60 minutes long. I'll do most of the prep work, but I want them to do some.

I'm looking for an appetizer, a main entrée and a dessert.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes. Low fat, high protein with veggies:-)

Serves 4-6. I would say 1c is a serving.

4 chicken breasts cut into chunks
    1each orange, red, and yellow bell pepper cut into slices
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2cans of artichoke hearts, quartered
    1/4-1/2c of white wine (you could use no sugar apple juice)
    salt and pepper to taste

Spray frying pan with cooking spray. Throw in chicken and saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the peppers, onion, and salt andnpepper. Cover and let the veggies get soft and the chicken will cook under them for 20 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and heat through. Stir and enjoy:-)

It is meant to be served over pasta. I have used rice but for me personally, I eat it without anything (have a gastric sleeve). 1 cup is usually under 160 calories. Good luck:-)
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite dishes has no real name

1 lb of ground anything- chicken, turkey, lean beef
    - pan fry

add- onions, peppers, mushrooms- cook till done

add can tomataoes- diced with italian seasoning, with green chilies- just depends on what you are in the mood for

add spinach- fresh or canned or frozen ( i have used all)

add seasoning- italian, garlic, salt & pepper or chili powder, cumin etc... just depends on what moon your in

serve over pasta or rice

DONE !!!

oh and you can add just about any kind of veg to this i have even used fresh zucchini

add sm grated parm on top if desired
  • fludderbye
    Options
    another idea is roasted veggies as a side

cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans
    just drizzle with olive oil salt and peper cook 450-500 i swear they taste completly different cooked this way
  • fludderbye
    Options
    this was origianlly a breakfast but reminds me of rice pudding

1 cup uncooked pearled barley, 4 cups FF milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt- bring to a BOIL- MED- HIGH HEAT

reduce the heat and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally- until milk is absorbed and barley is tender about 30 mins

combine 1 cup blueberries, 1 kiwi peeled and diced, amd 1/2 pineapple

remove barley from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla

divide by 4 and top evenly with fruit
  • cherrie1969
    cherrie1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    when I was ready to do diets I wanted to pick foods that I love I bought a cookbook it is taste of home comfort food diet in it it gives you cals,fat,saturated fat,cholesterol,sodium,carbohydrates,fiber,protein,and tells you what it is on diabetic exchange,it tell you how many servings and what the serving equals,like for example it has a crunch apple salad when you make it it yields 5 servings every 3/4 of a cup i love it cause i can never see myself leaving pasta or potatoes just all kinds of yummy things alone.Well in my book they also give you a free site to go to that has many recipes the site is www.comfortfooddietcookbook.com there they have where you can get recipes for free and it has all the things my book has and more the only thing it don't have is a six week plan which my book has and success stories before i end i'll give you a recipe. vegetable rice skillet 1 medium onion 1 tablespoon butter 2 medium carrots sliced 1-1/2 cups cauliflowerets 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets 1 cup uncooked long grain rice 2 garlic cloves minced 1-1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth 1 cup(4 ounces) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese 1 Tablespoon Minced fresh parsley 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper In a large non stick skillet over medium heat,cook onion in butter until tender.Add carrots;cook 5 minutes longer.Stir in the cauliflower,broccoli,rice and garlic add broth;bring mixture to a boil.Reduce heat;cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.Remove from the heat;stir in the cheese,parsley,salt and pepper.it yields 8 servings.Nutrition facts;3/4 cup equals 164 calories,5 fat(3 g saturated fat)14 mg cholesterol,459 mg sodium,24 g carbohydrate 2 g fiber,7 g protein.Diabetic exchanges:1 starch,1 vegetable,1 fat. and instead of using butter if you use pan butter spray you won't have as many cals and fat but I don't have a idea how much less but I know I use butter spray for the pan it has no cals and no fat when ever a recipe calls for butter for sauteing.