Any Primal / Paleo Kiwis?

heathernz
heathernz Posts: 68 Member
Hi everyone... Two years ago I went Paleo (actually more Primal as I included some dairy). I had great results, lost 10kgs and felt awesome - physically and mentally. Last year was a tough year - my brother passed away after a long illness leaving behind two wee daughters, and my emotional eating (and drinking) and lazy habits kicked back in. I've been unwell with the resurgence of an old bowel condition (sorry TMI), and it is time to take control back.

Primal / paleo has worked better in the past for me than any other way of eating, so I'm back on board. If anyone is interested in this way of eating and in sharing recipes or ideas, I think that this would be motivating and helpful for me, and hopefully for others.

I've started a Facebook group to share recipes - anyone is welcome to join - and hopefully to add some recipes and photos.

Cheers, Heather - https://www.facebook.com/groups/kiwi.paleo.primal/

Replies

• Uglytwinsister
    Uglytwinsister Posts: 16 Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I am also interested in Paleo eating. Have done all the research, feel much better when I eat like this but struggle sticking to it. I come on here to do a post like yours ;-) Friend request sent.
  • Uglytwinsister
    Uglytwinsister Posts: 16 Member
    Ooops We are friends all ready lol.
  • rachhad123
    rachhad123 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm thinking of doing paleo, but would really like lots of different ideas for breakfast. I love eggs, but struggle with the thought of not having a piece of toast with them.

Any helpful hints/ideas will be welcome.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    I get tired of eggs too, so I usually prepare a little extra serving at dinner, then have that at breakfast.

:)
  • My diet definitely now has more Paleo/Primal leanings, I do still have dairy and I haven't managed to give up grain completely but I try very hard to stay off refined white flour products, white rice etc. I definitely feel better for eating this way but find it hard as my other half isn't completely on board with it and he does most of the cooking (it a great form of relaxation for him).

I'm keen to hear any Primal baking recipes that won't involve me having to source & buy lots of expensive ingredients as I do miss muffins, cakes, biscuits etc.

If you are in Auckland both http://www.feed-me.co.nz/ and http://fitmein.co.nz/ do pre-prepared Paleo/Primal meals which you can collect or they will deliver. Not the cheapest of options but great if you need an easy option now and then.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Hi guys, I've been primal for about 6 years (was an ardent low carber before that, but see primal and paleo as a step forward). I focus on unprocessed foods and avoid grains. I do drink wine, and also include fruit in my diet, and dairy products. My focus is on natural.

I have this site: www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz - which is low carb, primal and paleo orientated.

Although calories theoretically don't exist if you are an ardent primal / paleo person (ah...the politics of food!) I have found MFP to be an excellent way to not control what I eat...but how much I eat and keeping me mindful of what I eat. And of course embracing exercise as part of my life has been wonderful (after 10 years of being inactive before that). Did my first 1/2 marathon just a couple of weeks ago :)