New to group

Options
Hi, my name is Angela and I just switched moved from Paleo to keto to help my weightless along. Can anyone tell me how to configure the meal tracker to keto? I am still trying to figure out the ratios. Thank you.

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This post and the link provided helped me a great deal!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013055-great-guide-for-ketogenic-dieting
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 65% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs, at 1500 calories a day. I hope that helps. :happy:
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I have mine set at 65% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs, at 1500 calories a day. I hope that helps. :happy:

I just looked at your diary for the past handful of days what you've just said its inaccurate. You are eating as many grams of protein as fat, if not more. And when was the last time you ate a vegetable? It is absolutely possible to follow a ketogenic diet in a healthy way. What is the point of losing weight if you destroy your health in the process?

Please use the following link to set your macros and eat more veggies. I bet you lose weight faster.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I do mostly 70-75% fat, 15-17% protein and 7-12% carbs depending on the day.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I just looked at your diary for the past handful of days what you've just said its inaccurate. You are eating as many grams of protein as fat, if not more. And when was the last time you ate a vegetable? It is absolutely possible to follow a ketogenic diet in a healthy way. What is the point of losing weight if you destroy your health in the process?
    This was an unnecessary and hostel post. If you felt the need to address her eating choices in a thread that was about another person, it would have been nice if you used some tact. And FYI when she is talking about macro % it is by cal not by gram so it is easily believable that her fats in grams are equal or even lower than her protein in grams, since a gram of fat = 9cals and a gram of protein = 4cals.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options

This was an unnecessary and hostel post. If you felt the need to address her eating choices in a thread that was about another person, it would have been nice if you used some tact. And FYI when she is talking about macro % it is by cal not by gram so it is easily believable that her fats in grams are equal or even lower than her protein in grams, since a gram of fat = 9cals and a gram of protein = 4cals.

I wasn't trying to be hostile. Firm, sure. But not hostile. It feels like you are being hostile towards me. If djgreen is offended, then I am certainly sorry, but its really not your place to speak for her.

I've been told to follow grams, not % of calories, so that's what I was basing my comment on. She still needs more in her diet than meat and cheese. If people are following keto in an unhealthy way, why shouldn't that be pointed out? Isn't that the purpose of having an open diary and participating in the forums? So we can learn from one another?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I wasn't trying to be hostile. Firm, sure. But not hostile. It feels like you are being hostile towards me. If djgreen is offended, then I am certainly sorry, but its really not your place to speak for her.

I've been told to follow grams, not % of calories, so that's what I was basing my comment on. She still needs more in her diet than meat and cheese. If people are following keto in an unhealthy way, why shouldn't that be pointed out? Isn't that the purpose of having an open diary and participating in the forums? So we can learn from one another?
    If I misunderstood the tone of your post I apologize. The bolded statement is one that does not lend a helpful feeling to your critique. I would choose words carefully on a forum since words are all you have to convey a sentiment.

As far as the % brake down being grams and not cals I think you may be mistaken. Cutting your protein that low is not ideal for preserving Muscle mass.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options

If I misunderstood the tone of your post I apologize. The bolded statement is one that does not lend a helpful feeling to your critique. I would choose words carefully on a forum since words are all you have to convey a sentiment.

As far as the % brake down being grams and not cals I think you may be mistaken. Cutting your protein that low is not ideal for preserving Muscle mass.

I stand by that statement because I flipped back to Saturday and all I saw was a tablespoon of relish and a few mushrooms. The sentiment I was conveying was shock and concern. The question was to get djgreen to consider just how long it has been since she has consumed vegetables. It should be every day.

I use the following website http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to calculate my grams. Are you saying I'm wrong to follow the grams suggested here?

Based on my personal situation, it has been suggested that I eat 115g fat, 60g protein, and 25g carbs. I am currently unable to work out due to back issues so that should be considered when compared to your own circumstances. Since Djgreen is of a similar height, has 65 lbs to lose (I have ~35 but started with 50), and has not logged any exercise, I would assume her macros would be closer to mine when I was starting out, just higher. I think when I started I was at 140/80/25.
  • djgreen1968
    Options
    I am new to this way of eating. I was told to set my % at 65%, 35%, 5%. I did that and eat according to my set ratios and calories. I have a limited set of meals right now, but I am learning about more foods I can eat. I appreciate your input, but you did kind of come across snotty. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I am still wading my way thru as I learn more about what I can eat. I do eat some veggies, but not every day. I was keeping my carbs down to make sure I got into ketosis. I will eat more once I am keto adapted, and can bump up my carbs a bit. :wink:
  • djgreen1968
    Options
    Thank you for your concern. It was very kind of you. :smile:
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I am new to this way of eating. I was told to set my % at 65%, 35%, 5%. I did that and eat according to my set ratios and calories. I have a limited set of meals right now, but I am learning about more foods I can eat. I appreciate your input, but you did kind of come across snotty. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I am still wading my way thru as I learn more about what I can eat. I do eat some veggies, but not every day. I was keeping my carbs down to make sure I got into ketosis. I will eat more once I am keto adapted, and can bump up my carbs a bit. :wink:

I'm going to have to continue to be snotty. It is my understanding that it takes about 6 weeks of regularly staying in ketosis before you begin to be keto adapted. You're not going to eat vegetables for a month and a half? I eat vegetables every day and keep my carbs under 25 pretty easily. I haven't dropped out of ketosis since I first got in in mid-December.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I'm going to have to continue to be snotty.
    This is unfortunate, because there are tactful ways to make your point, and snotty just makes you look unhelpful even it you are trying to help.
    It is my understanding that it takes about 6 weeks of regularly staying in ketosis before you begin to be keto adapted. You're not going to eat vegetables for a month and a half?
    6 weeks with out veggies won't kill her health. She may be taking a multi to take care of any imbalances.
    I eat vegetables every day and keep my carbs under 25 pretty easily. I haven't dropped out of ketosis since I first got in in mid-December.
    Well good for you!:flowerforyou: (this was me being snotty)
    Just because you eat one way doesn't mean it is the only way to eat.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have my ratios set at 60 % fat, 30 % protein, and 10 % carbs.

I find I usually go a little over on one or the other, often fat and carbs. I try to have a vegetable, sometimes more than one, at every meal. The majority of my carbs are coming from veggies.

I just made my diary public so I'm open to suggestions. I'm on week 3 of trying to lose.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently set at 65% Fat 25 Protein 10% carbs. However I'm about 10 weeks into Keto and only upped my carbs this past week. Mostly to give me a little wiggle room on heavy lifting days as I was finding myself stalling. It still works out that I end up eating less than 30G of carbs anyways, with some rare 40G days
  • djgreen1968
    Options
    It's all good. I'm constantly learning and changing the way I am getting my calories and carbs. Thank you all for your concern and input. I will take all info under advisement. I do by the way take vitamins to offset my lack of veggies. :happy: