Trying to decide id competition is right for me...

Options
Hello all! I'm new to this group! My question in this post is ultimately whether or not I could attempt competition, and which I should do/how to get started.

Here's a little background. My fitness journey, per se, started just under a year ago. I was always in competitive sports (hockey, soccer, equestrian). A few years ago, my doctor discovered a heart condition and told me to take it easy with the athletics - nothing competitive. Then 2 years ago, the symptoms of this condition became very apparent - blacking out, vomiting, waking up in the middle of the night with heart rate well over 200 and staying there for hours. Thankfully, I had surgery a year and a half ago and was cleared by the cardiologist to just go for it, whatever I want...train to the max! My heart is mint now.

Now I want to get back into the competitive spirit but I'm not sure where to go. Women's hockey around here is pickup (plus I sold all my equipment). I don't have horses anymore. I went pretty hard at running in the past year but I know I don't have the body type for speed over long distances (I have the endurance, but I'll never be elite). I want to get into something that I could call myself elite at one day...

Bodybuilding maybe?

I started lifting back in November and within a couple months, I have put on significant muscle mass and gotten really strong. According to this site (http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm) I'm well into Intermediate and better with a lot of my lifts. Some people at my gym who are into bodybuilding are strongly urging me to take this more seriously and get into competing. I just seem to have the genetics to put on muscle and lift heavy things.

I know the dieting is tough, but I think I can handle it. I got myself down to 14 % body fat for a series of races in the fall. I have since gone up about 4-5% with my bulking over the winter, but I think I could shed it again in a matter of 8 weeks or so.

My current stats are : 28 years old, 5'4, 130 lbs (this is a guess, I hate weighing myself. I was close to 120 before the bulk started in November and I still fit in size 2 clothes).

i am not interested in hormone supplements.

Is this something I could do? What categories are best? How do I get started?

This is all so new to me and with enough peer pressure, I have come to you guys for some advice :) Please send me an FR if you're in the same boat, prepping for competition, able to give me some advice etc.

Cheers,

Kathleen

Replies

• nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi

After reading your post, I went on the site you mentioned and am well into the intermediate and elite is within a few months of training for my bench press. So that made me smile - thank you!

I am 50 (gulp!) and have started powerlifting for the past 14 months or so. I will be entering my first competition in April - a push/pull, which is bench press and deadlift.

All I would say is enter your competition and don't put it off.

Enjoy and good luck

Anne
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been training for my first show for two plus years :-) so your first line of action is just keep getting yourself to the gym.......

do you have instagram? Im @ annacondak my husband and I post educational instructions for lifting and explain proper lifting technique.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you feel strongly about something... go and get it, don't let other people tell you otherwise.... with your stats... imho bikini model/diva model at the wbff shows should be a good start.... here is a link of their site http://wbffshows.com/

you can also try the NPC http://www.nationalbodybuilding.com/
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'd first check with a doctor to find out of the rigors of competition prep (both the dieting and the workouts) are something you should even be attempting with your health concerns.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd first check with a doctor to find out of the rigors of competition prep (both the dieting and the workouts) are something you should even be attempting with your health concerns.

This!!

And i would be very careful about choosing a coach. Be very clear on your medical past and make sure you know and understand what the prep will entail for the whole prep, especially the weeks up to competition. Make sure that you discuss it all with your doctor.

I went into it kind of blindly. There are some coaches that encourage their clients to do some blatently unhealhty things, and there are others who take a much more balanced approach.

Find out about how big of a deficit you can expect, how your health problems may be affected by it. Another topic to discuss is dehydration. Many coaches use it in the week before the show. Some encourage using diruetics. These would all be concerns to me for someone with a heart condition.

To answer some more quesitons -

Is this something I could do?
    You can probably do it assuming the Dr says ok. How successful you will be depends on your goals and your background.

What categories are best?
    There isn't a "best" IMO. Its an individual choice and what you are best suited for, physically mostly, but personality as well. I am not suited for bikini. To be honest I'm not suited for the stage, I'm too shy but bikini has much more show/personality included (that isn't an insult). Each category has their requirements and its hard to say without actually seeing you what might suit you best. My suggestion would be to find a coach and discuss with them where they think you may be suited for or what you want to work towards and how long that might take.

How do I get started?
    Like I said above, starting out, I would (and did) find a coach. You have a number of options, some can do it online, you can find one you can consult with personally or you can find one who will work with your directly (much more costly though). My coach did my food plan and workout plan but was in the same gym so if I had question or form check, she was there to ask.
    I can't stress enough that you are both on the same page. A good coach is a huge asset.