Help needed...new to this!

Options
Hello everyone!

My name is Krystal and I have been on an off MFP for awhile and have recently recommitted to my weight loss journey. One of the things I would really like to add to my routine but don't know much about is weight lifting. I do use the cable machines at my gym but don't do any free weights at all. I am not really sure where to start, what I should be doing, or how I should be tracking it all. Any advice would very much appreciated!!

Thank you :)

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    There are really a lot of great programs to help you start out in lifting! Starting Strength is good, as is Jamie Eason's Live Fit. (at least month one) Stronglifts is another program that teaches basic weight lifting. You want to focus on your basic movements though - squats, bench press, and deadlifts are great compound basic movements. squats and bench press areboth things you can start with dumbbells and eventually move to using a barbell if you're not strong enough to start with one.
  • luceroce
    luceroce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Krystal!

Welcome back to your journey! A great resource that I use all the time is bodybuilding.com. On their you are able to look up Jamie Eason's Live Fit program and also other workout plans as well. Every 6-8 weeks I change up my workout routine and so I not only look at the recommended plans on there, but I also look at the motivation section and pick routines from there. I, like you, use to not lift weights and now I love it! I have seen much better results doing strength training compared to when I was only doing cardio. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions :)