Wrists and Palms

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
My main concern right now is an on-going wrist and hand issue. I would not say I'm in pain. It's not painful, it's just there. Annoying.

My wrists hurt, both of them, but more my left, right kinda under the bone sticks up. UInder that sort of. Not at that point, like under it on the bottom of my wrist. Sorry for the goofy explanation. Just don't know how to describe it. It's been going on for over a month now. When I push up off the couch for instance or any activity like that, it hurts a bit. I think it's from heavy bench pressing, but I don't know. I guess it could also be from heavy pulling, like deadlifts. I don't know.

The other pain-point is my palms. Right at the bottom-outside, opposite my thumbs. If you think about how the bar sits when bench pressing, the bar goes right across it, which again, makes me think it might be from bench pressing.

It's not pain, it more feels like it's bruised or something maybe. I don't know. But, it doesn't get better because I'm progressively loading.

I'll be so pissed if I have to take time off. I'll feel like all this time, 9 or 10 months, will go wasted. Completely wasted.

I've been stretching, and taking salt baths, and trying to do everything I can to help. I even tried suicide grip on my benches and OHP, which helped a little, and tried to keep my wrists completely straight. But, when it gets heavy, that doesn't matter.

Any suggestions or has anyone had experience with this. I suspect is a stupid old age thing that's kicking in. But, if there are any rememdy's, I'd love to hear it. If I need to back off, I will, but before I do, I want to rule out other possibilities. Could be a form issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Replies

• steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Could be a stress fracture.

Only x-rays would be able to tell.

Also may be stressed/pulled ligaments/tendons.

Wrist-wraps would give you some support but you'd probably also want to lower the weight too for awhile, just do your warm up weight range 40,50,60 percent.

Also you could switch to body weight exercises, push-ups/dips etc.

If it persists i'd get it checked out.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Get checked for carpal tunnel.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps as said. And you might want to try gloves? I know they have a stigma but hey, you do what you have to.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have an old wrist injury and immediately went to using wrist wraps when the slightest pain happened benching. I actually was able to progress better with them on because subconsciously i think i was trying not to agrivate the wrist. I also have small wrists i can grip around them and touch my fingers. Good luck the wraps are key for me.