New

Options
Hello all i am new and looking for support... thanks

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey there Bruce. Nice to meet you. :drinker:

Welcome to this great support group. Have a look around, there's been a lot of valuable and helpful information posted.
    There's many experienced people on this board eager to help and share their experiences.

I've been an insulin dependant T2 D since 1982, and have found MyFitnessPal to be a wonderful program and a great tool to help me gain better control over my blood sugar management in addition to helping me meet and exceed my weight loss goals.

Good luck!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hello Bruce, I just wanted to welcome you as well. I joined MFP last February and found this group shortly afterward. It's been a great help in giving me ideas on how to manage my T2 and websites to gather more information. The people are helpful, supportive and understand the challenges we all face. So use MFP to track your meals and exercise and you'll find it a great tool to help you as well.

Again, welcome to the group!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Welcome to the group Bruce! I'm sure you'll find lots of support and encouragement here. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Brucefer62
    Brucefer62 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I have type 2 and I am bordering on taking insulin versus pills if I don't get my butt in gear. Holidays hasn't helped either. My sugar on Christmas morning was 341. Not good.
    About two months ago i was working out and eating good, my sugar went down to 120's. I lost 25 pounds. i was proud of myself. Now one reason because of working so late all the time I haven't been working out, gained most of it back. I'm depressed and feel bad about myself now.

Anyone help?
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    thank you
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    wow you lost 73 pounds??
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's fantastic that you were able to fit exercise into your life before, and I know you can do it again. Might it be helpful to fit in 2-3 shorter exercise bouts throughout the day, such as a short walk before work, at lunch, and then after work? Or multitask and ride an exercise bike while reading? Someone once told me that if she has time to watch TV, she has time to exercise - wise words! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    thanks
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Losers Club! Kudos for being able to lose that weight. I know that you can persevere and push through your current funk and lose it again, and more. Most of us fear holiday pressures. Glad most of it is over.

I've been here for about two months, and I can't imagine managing my diet without this. I started on a low carb diet by reading Blood Sugar 101 and joining the Diabetes Forum. I have been scrupulous in planning and charting my meals, and keeping my carbs under 60 grams per day. The payoff is a 30 point reduction in average BG level. I have arthritis, so I have to exercise gently. Keeping the carbs low lessens the need for lots of intense exercise, though I find that even the smallest amount of exercise elevates the mood and contributes to lowering my blood pressure.

Hang in there. You really can prevail.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome :drinker:

I joined MFP right after I got dx'd with T2 last June. I was on Metformin 500 mg x 2. Also was on 2 meds for hypertension & 2 for cholesterol issues. I am on no meds at all now.

Plan your meals, weigh & measure everything, log in daily, read the forums (success/motivation I find is very inspiring).

I didn't do much as far as exercise went till I bought a Fitbit this July. I now walk pretty much 3 miles a day/7 days a week tracked via RunKeeper after work (I work early in the day) and on my off days. Amazing how a stupid rubber wrist gadget can motivate someone, lol

You CAN do this. :flowerforyou:
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    I just had a dr. appt and he gave me a nutritional menu. He tells me i shouldn't be eating any oats plus he says the all wheat is not good for me. also to only drink coffee at night night??
    anyone ever hear of this before?
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The coffee one is a new one to me.

I let my meter tell the story and what raises my BS may not affect you the same way. A small bag of microwave popcorn doesn't bother me but I know others that it would raise the BS above acceptable levels.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I let my meter tell the story and what raises my BS may not affect you the same way.

Absolutely! Measure your BS an hour and two hours after every meal to see how YOU react to different foods. Measure and log everything you eat and do. It really pays off.

I've been weaning myself from grains for weeks now, and I'm losing weight, reducing my FBS, and reducing my need for antihistamines. Win-win-win for me.

Recent research is saying that drinking two or three cups of coffee every day is good if you have diabetes. Never heard the evening thing though.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't have a meter WalMart's ReliOn Prime is inexpensive as are the strips.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yes, welcome to the loser's club :ohwell:

Since you're here though, here's a website that helped me a TON when I was first diagnosed last April. By the way, at 45, the dx came as a complete shock to me.

bloodsugar101.com is a great place to read up & figure out how to proceed. By eating to my meter, I was able to lose 30# and improve all of my labs & previous markers. Good luck & don't be afraid to ask questions as they arise, if you're anything like me, you'll have plenty :smokin:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Link above is a site that helped me. I have reversed my diabetes, in that I have been told to stop medication completely. I will continue to track hba1c quarterly.
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    thank you for your feedback. i just don't get now why no wheat at all no oatmeal, no milk but almond milk. and i have to drink 100 ounces of water a day? how do you do that?
  • Brucefer62
    Options
    thanks
  • TNHoneyBBQ
    TNHoneyBBQ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hope you are starting to find your way. This is a great place to get encouragement, tips, feedback, and inspiration.

I get my water in by constantly having my water bottle with me. I drink the first bottle when I get up in the morning, two more at work before lunch, and 2-3 in the afternoon / evening. It's a new habit to acquire, I've done it long enough now that I don't notice it.

the info at bloodsugar101.com was very helpful to me, and I am learning to eat to my meter, keeping track of the foods that are ok and what to either restrict portion-wise or avoid. I had to start insulin 3 weeks ago and let me tell you, I am not happy about it at all. That's my motivation in a nutshell!

Make new friends here and check out their food diaries for eating ideas. Fast food is not your friend, but you will find other things that will be. Carol in TN
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Bruce:

I drink seltzer water to up my water intake. For some reason the bubbles really help me. Drinking so much regular water begins to feel heavy syrup going down to me. Anyway, just sharing my little trick. All my best, Celeste.