Canola vs Vegetable Oil

Options
So does anyone know exactly WHY Canola oil is better than Vegetable? I'm just trying to learn all I can about food. We're trying to move away from processed and more towards whole. My hubby and I are changing the way our family eats and I love knowing exactly why we are changing things so that I can educate myself and my family...especially my children. :wink:

Thanks, Caroline:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I've heard that canola is higher in omega 3's but don't know this for fact. I prefer the taste of olive oil and rarely use canola or vegetable oils.
  • PB91765
    PB91765 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For cooking I use safflower oil or coconut oil. Have heard they are better for you when you are heating/cooking. I use olive oil for salad dressings.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend the use of canola oil at all: 1) 90% is GMO (approx.) 2) The refining process is pretty extreme and uses some really harsh chemicals to get to the actual final product.

As far as healthy oils are concerned? You want a medium chain oil for cooking so that it doesn't oxidize....here is an article that breaksdown what this means and what oils are recommended and why.

http://authoritynutrition.com/healthy-cooking-oils/

I use
    Coconut oil
    Butter ( organic)
    Bacon grease
    Olive Oil ( low heat, non-cooked)

HTH~!
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I second the no canola oil (wouldn't recommend generic vegetable oil either). The stuff is highly, highly processed to get it to the state you see it in the bottles.

I use :
    Lard
    Tallow
    Coconut oil
    Butter
    Ghee
    Olive oil as a salad dressing or low heat cooking
  • Sweet_C_Smiles
    Sweet_C_Smiles Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! :heart: I do use real butter, olive oil, and lard. Canola...although highly processed, is cheap. That's just a fact and with my large family I have to choose my battles. So I do use Canola for now as well but I use it in moderation.
  • conniedj
    Options
    Here is something to consider: Eating an oil ( like canola) that putrifies when heated will contribute to a build up of plaque on the arterial walls....heart disease....which is one of the top chronic diseases( and causes of death) in the US. Think long term....don't step over dollars to pick up a quarter! It may be less expensive right now....but in the long term? None of us can afford the health issues that come with consuming these products!

Not judging at all, just adding a perspective about which to think!! : )
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with Connie.
    If I see canola oil as an ingredient I put it back on the shelf. If I'm buying roasted peppers etc.
    It is on my personal no go list!
  • Sweet_C_Smiles
    Sweet_C_Smiles Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Here is something to consider: Eating an oil ( like canola) that putrifies when heated will contribute to a build up of plaque on the arterial walls....heart disease....which is one of the top chronic diseases( and causes of death) in the US. Think long term....don't step over dollars to pick up a quarter! It may be less expensive right now....but in the long term? None of us can afford the health issues that come with consuming these products!

Totally agree with what your saying. I'll have to look into it more. I can promise I won't be using it as much for sure! I have a long way to go with this. There is so much information about what is bad and what is good...it can be overwhelming. Especially when your on a budget. My husband and I have realized that this change in our family's eating will be a process. One thing at a time. :happy: But it's gonna happen! Thank you for your comment! :flowerforyou:
  • conniedj
    Options
    Changing the way you look at food and then eat? It is a long process made up of teeny tiny un-scary (thus not so overwhelming...) change that lead to overall sustainable change. Just choose a goal: like canola, and make that your goal for a week or a month. Practice this one change until you feel comfortable that it has become a new habit. Then set your sights on the next goal....repeat the process.

In one years time you will be amazed that you have completely changed ( for the better) how you eat in your home. And when the kids eat good 80% of the time? It makes them healthier so that they can purge the not-so-good stuff that they will inevitably eat while at school, friends, movies...etc!

Honestly--making food at home is less expensive than eating out of boxes. You just have to find your inner Rachel Ray. I now LOVE to cook....and my kids love to eat what I cook! One of my big go-to meals that will last 2 dinners? A big pot of soup. If you have some sort of meat ( chicken, turkey, ground beef) and some veggies? You have soup. Kids usually like soup too!

Let me know if you want me to share some quick easy ways to make the best soups ever!!!
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also don't use canola or vegetable oil. At our house we use olive oil, coconut oil, organic butter, or leftover bacon grease. I highly recommend switching to these because they offer organic and non-gmo options and they are recognizable (unlike vegetable oil) aka they're "food" while vegetable oil is a "food-like substance".
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Most "vegetable" oil is soybean mixed with whatever. Canola's not so great either. Both are typically cheap and often synthetic.

EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and coconut oil are better, healthwise, plus neither scorches during cooking like vegetable and canola oils are prone to.