2.5 weeks since the sleeve

Options
Ive come to the conclusion that I was not well prepped for the post-op diet. After all the research I had done, I had not looked at the stages of the diet. Had I done so, I am not sure I would have went through with the surgery.

Nonetheless, here I am, and I have almost made it through the full liquid stage. Truly, my bariatric coordinator gavee a packet of more than 200 pages of copied materials two days before surgery. The diet is weird. When I look at other diets online, they have more selection.

So here is how I did it,

I tried different stuff to see what worked for me. I am not, nor have I ever been a broth person. So the first week I refused to eat anything. But I incorporated other foods that were on several orher diets and I am alot better and still losing weight. Idk if this was supposed to be trial and error but this is what I did to help myself deal.

Anyone else have similiar experiences??

Replies

• JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It' very unfortunate that your medical "team" didn't better prepare you. Sounds like one of those places that cares more about profit than your well being.

Members of this group...

Please reach out and offer advice to help our fellow member through this. Things that worked for you and things that didn't. The internet can be overwhelming with different opinions and plans when sometimes all you want is a simple answer of what to do right now in the moment.

Hang in there my friend!! :heart:
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ive come to the conclusion that I was not well prepped for the post-op diet. After all the research I had done, I had not looked at the stages of the diet. Had I done so, I am not sure I would have went through with the surgery.

Nonetheless, here I am, and I have almost made it through the full liquid stage. Truly, my bariatric coordinator gavee a packet of more than 200 pages of copied materials two days before surgery. The diet is weird. When I look at other diets online, they have more selection.

So here is how I did it,

I tried different stuff to see what worked for me. I am not, nor have I ever been a broth person. So the first week I refused to eat anything. But I incorporated other foods that were on several orher diets and I am alot better and still losing weight. Idk if this was supposed to be trial and error but this is what I did to help myself deal.

Anyone else have similiar experiences??

Hi there and good luck with your sleeve. You can do this! I had some similar issues mainly because I had surgery in Mexico so I didn't have a go to doctor so I honestly researched everything to learn what I should and shouldn't do and I incorporated with I felt worked for me. I wasn't a broth person either and I ate yogurt during the time I was to be on liquids only and it worked fine for me. I gradually incorporated soft items slowly and did what worked for me. I read what others could do and couldn't do and every body was different so I just did what I felt was good and worked for me. You can do this!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how the staff at some surgeons' offices can do this kind of surgery and leave you unprepared. I have heard similar stories.

If at the very least you got instructions for getting through the stages, follow them as closely as you can. If you have questions about specifics, such as examples of liquids, purees, soft foods, etc., this group is a great place for those questions. Please don't hesitate to ask anything at all. I know early on when I had questions, some of the advice I got here helped me SO much. Everyone here is so helpful and nice. I truly believe once you get through these early stages, you will see what an amazing tool this surgery is.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Belledebut, have you tried Greek yogurt? I wasn't a broth or puréed food :frown: person, either! I ate Greek yogurt during my first month, and not much of anything else. I still eat Greek yogurt daily. And try to get your fluids in - I did a lot of Crystal Light lemonade.
    Does your surgeon have a bariatric nutritionist you can call or email? If not, what about your primary care physician? I'm lucky that both of my doctors have really good people to talk with.

Just remember that everyone's experience is unique to them. What works for some might not work for others. There really is a lot of trial and error when we first start out. LOL! Some of us who are more than a year post-op still have more questions than answers!

Best wishes!

Maggy
  • belledebut
    Options
    Thanks you guys. Im also not a yogurt/pudding person but I make shakes to get my protein which gives me about 50-60 grams. I struggle with getting my water because I am a teacher and I cant run to the restroom alot.

So I have been eating soup. Mostly cream or tomato based. I may chew a little rice or bean. And my stomach has digested it very well. Popsicles and clear fruit juice have been my diet. 6 more days till pureed foods and I think I will be much happier with the diet lol