Newly Diagnosed

Hey all!
My name is Liz and I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism in October of last year, so about 3 months ago. I've always struggled with my weight since puberty when I was diagnosed with PCOS (I'm just full of hormonal malfunctions :( lol) I kept telling the doctor something had to be wrong because although I know PCOS is enough to cause problems losing weight, even taking 500mg of metformin twice a day wasn't helping... They kept testing my thyroid, but I guess although elevated, my levels were still normal... Finally the last time they tested me it was high enough to decide that I was in fact hypothyroid. With medication my levels are now normal. So that's my story.

Still kinda new to it all.. Not really sure if there's something I need to change in my diet? Or my exercise routine? Right now I'm eating about 1200 calories a day, walking 2 miles and then doing a workout for 55 mins.

Hope to get to know people and your stories! :) Good luck to all!

Replies

• Hi Lizzie was diagnosed a few years ago. Unfortunately taking the meds isn't enough to jumpstart that metabolism. I wish I could tell you the miracle cure for that. Noticed your diet and exercise plan is almost identical to yours. I lost 50 lbs about a year ago with wedding motivation. Motivation ended with the wedding. Looking back on the photos totally gave me a wake up call. As I have gained it back and then some. Curious how that's working out for you. I almost feel like we have to eat even less then outers to make that calorie deficit work well. I had to go down to 500 cal. daily to reach a goal weight for the wedding over a year.
  • LizzieGirl14
    LizzieGirl14 Posts: 20 Member
    My problem is I need A LOT of protein or I get hypoglycemic... So eating even less than 1200 calories would make me ill. I start seeing a nutritionist next month. So we'll see. The lbs aren't shedding like I'd like, but I'm fitting clothing better. So who knows lol
  • kindelk1
    kindelk1 Posts: 7 Member
    My experience is that it's important to stay healthy - get the nutrition you need! I also need to have a lot of protein. Vegies are my best friend. I've come to realize that the best workout to help lose weight is to do some cardio, but to make sure to include strength training. Building up that muscle makes me feel better, have more energy, look better, and lose some weight. I think this is a critical part of it. (I also have PCOS, so I understand the challenge!) The pounds are never going to simply melt off, but if you keep up with it, and give it some time, it will come. Good luck!!