Paleo plus intermittent fasting?

Options
charleigh78
charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
I have just started adding IF to my paleo diet. Does anyone else do this? I am having a difficult time getting enough cals in on my higher cal days :(.

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have not as of yet, I did a ton of fasting in college (on purpose) and the benefits were really good. I will likely start this back up again in the future when I am closer to my goal and feeling more at ease on my weight. I usually go for a 24 hour stretch breakfast to breakfast but I have done up to 7 full days with no side effects but I was fully prepared for that one.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I do!The only negative research that I have read has been based around woman and hormones..there is a belief that shorter fasts work better for women..12/14 hours as opposed to the longer ones.
    I do 14/16/24 hours and have no issue.
    If you have only been at paleo for a short time,there is a school of thought that says to wait until you are fully adapted to a paleo way of life before starting IF as the body is going through loads of changes during this transition period.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    I do!The only negative research that I have read has been based around woman and hormones..there is a belief that shorter fasts work better for women..12/14 hours as opposed to the longer ones.
    I do 14/16/24 hours and have no issue.
    If you have only been at paleo for a short time,there is a school of thought that says to wait until you are fully adapted to a paleo way of life before starting IF as the body is going through loads of changes during this transition period.

Thanks for sharing. I have been paleo for 2 years so no adjustment needed :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I follow a ketogenic version of Paleo and I intermittent fast. On most days it's 16/8 or 18/6 but occasionally on weekends I'll go longer. It works well for me unless I am going to be extremely active early in the morning.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    I follow a ketogenic version of Paleo and I intermittent fast. On most days it's 16/8 or 18/6 but occasionally on weekends I'll go longer. It works well for me unless I am going to be extremely active early in the morning.

Do you fast daily or only a few times a week?
  • charleigh78
    Options

Also, do you find it difficult to eat the calories you should? I have been trying a low carb autoimmune paleo and I find it difficult to eat the allotted cals.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've thought about trying intermittent fasting sometime this year. I've been Paleo for 18 months to treat my type 1 diabetes. My blood sugars are almost normal and I've reached my ideal weight. But I have some fat left over in my stomach due to insulin injections that I can't get rid of no matter how hard I try. So I may try it once I do more research and establish a plan.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do my IFing during the week and usually it's 16/8. On the weekends I find it a bit harder because I'm not at work and preoccupied. But I find it works great for me and have not had any issues with it. I will start back my keto eating in March full time and continue to IF through this period as well. I guess the response is all about your body and how it makes you feel, but personally I love it and it makes me feel great.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Also, do you find it difficult to eat the calories you should? I have been trying a low carb autoimmune paleo and I find it difficult to eat the allotted cals.

I IF almost every day. I don't find it hard to eat my calories; however, I was under-eating when I started out (thanks MFP!). Since after Christmas I've been having some difficulty getting comfortable back at 1600 calories. I've never done the AIP but I did quit nightshades for a short time and now I'm very careful with them.