How do I eat fewer carbs?!

Options
Hi all,
Just starting my weight loss journey (*again*) and am realizing that, while I've been making healthier choices for food, I am still eating a LOT of carbs every day. Being someone who has a history of diabetes in my family, I feel like being on a lower carb "diet" would be a good choice for me.
What do you all eat to get your carb count down? Most of my carbs are coming from fruit, whole grain bread, etc right now, as opposed to something like cake or ice cream, but I'd still like to see myself eating less of them, just not sure what to eat instead!! I could LIVE on bread, crackers, cookies, etc. if it wouldn't end up killing me!!
Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the enemy, and if you are keeping them within your MFP limits, I'm sure you are doing fine. However, I can understand your desire to cut them down.

I rarely eat bread, pasta, rice or any of those kind of carbs that I used to 'accompany' meals with. I'm not trying to cut my carbs, I just find they give very bad value for their calories. Instead of having spaghetti Bolognese, I'll have the Bolognese with veg. For me, bread isn't worth eating. I used to eat four slices with soup and still feel hungry afterwards - and I thought I was having a healthy meal! I've found tortillas are a good alternative if I really have to have a 'portable' food, and they make great pizza bases!

Maybe play around with your meals every 5 - 7 days, and see where you can substitute things for the carbs you won't really miss, leaving more room for the occasional carb you don't want to live without!

Good luck! :smile:
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've cut down my carbs significantly. I originally lost 66lbs on Atkins many years ago but couldn't keep it up and DIDN'T WANT to do it again this time because I just felt like all that fat wasn't healthy for me. HOWEVER, this time I'm doing more of a Low Glycemic Index eating plan. It specifically focusing on balancing your blood sugar so that you don't have insulin spikes. It focuses on good carbs and good fats. But having said all that...I still eat fewer carbs that what the plan calls for.

I usually just eat meals that are protein and vegetables...for example the lunch I just ate was Garlic chicken with stir fried bok choy...for dinner last night I had meatloaf with marinated and grilled veggies (bell peppers, onions, squash). I DO eat carbs from bread. I still eat a whole wheat sourdough bread for sandwiches and toast with bfast, etc. But that's maybe once a day. Or I'll eat sweet potatoes or beans.

The best advice that I can give you is to 1. eat whatever carbs you are going to eat earlier in the day, try having a no/low carb meals at dinner for a little while and see how you feel. 2. Especially if you are fearful of diabetes, check out Rick Gallop's Low GI diet. It is AWESOME!!! It will also help you choose BETTER carbs for the carbs you do eat. and 3. Check out Kalynskitchen.com for some REALLY awesome recipes! A lot of her recipes are no/low carb and they are DELICIOUS! I find that if I have some good food to eat I don't even miss the carbs!

And finally, feel free to add me...my food diary is open and you may get some ideas there. But don't expect PERFECTION! LOL. I have free days on the weekend where you may find just about ANYTHING in there! LOL

Good luck and KUTGW!!!
  • pluckypaleo
    pluckypaleo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well, I am paleo which is a naturally low card lifestyle because you cut out grains. The reason I chose this is my husband is gluten intolerant, and I am lactose sensitive. Paleo cuts out our two no nos. Since we started this lifestyle January 1st, I have lost 18 pound and 9 1/4 inches. I would say thats pretty good for 30 days! I do not at all feel deprived.

A good swap for your grain craving, spaghetti squash. IT IS DELICIOUS. I would eat it every meal if I could! Maybe just look into some paleo recipes to replace some of the high carb recipes you love. I think that would help :)
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    if you are watching carbs but don't want to do ultra low carb/atkins, I recommend trying to base your diet on the stuff put out by the American diabetes assoc. they show you how to eat lower (not low) carbs and give a lot of alternatives and good ideas for healthy carbs such as fruit and veg and the like and have lots of lists of good substitutions.

I've found that when I'm doing well on my diet plan, I tend to eat less unhealthy carbs just because of the calories they take up. If I want to eat lager portions and feel satisfied within my calorie limit, I tend to not want to spend (I think of them like dollars, lol) as many daily calories on junk carbs or even breads or pastas when I could have a lot more of something else.

also, as far as sandwich/wrap type things, I like to use corn tortillas because they are usually smaller, less calories and less carbs.

I hope you find something that works well for you!
  • jessicamoye33
    Options
    I eat a very low carb diet and love it. I'm probably closer to a ketogenic diet than Atkins. What works for me is getting plenty of fat. I've read a lot of books, blogs, websites, forums, etc., and believe in the science behind low carb/high fat. My doctor recommended the Insulin Reistance Diet book years ago. It's basically food pairing. It's supposed to help stabilize blood sugar. But after reading it, I thought, I can just do low carb - it's easier. She said great, do it!

So, that's what works for me. I try to keep my net carbs around 20 grams a day. To increase my fat, I drink coconut oil. Fat is soooo filling! I love it. But that's what works for me. Some people can keep their carbs around 60 or 100 grams and still lose weight. Just by logging what you're eating and how you're feeling should help you decide on what works best for you.

Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • Faemusic
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

I've definitely started realizing that lots of my cravings are still largely psychological. I've spent so long loving all of these foods (in excess) that I'm finding it hard to give them up. I know I can still eat them, in moderation, but sometimes I feel like the moderation part is difficult for me and I'm better just staying away from them.

I've also realized that I really enjoy variety in my diet, and now that I've been trying to eat "clean" and also fewer carbs, I feel like there is a LOT LESS variety than there used to be. Been doing ok, just struggling a little getting accustomed to a new way of eating.
  • pluckypaleo
    pluckypaleo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

I've definitely started realizing that lots of my cravings are still largely psychological. I've spent so long loving all of these foods (in excess) that I'm finding it hard to give them up. I know I can still eat them, in moderation, but sometimes I feel like the moderation part is difficult for me and I'm better just staying away from them.

I've also realized that I really enjoy variety in my diet, and now that I've been trying to eat "clean" and also fewer carbs, I feel like there is a LOT LESS variety than there used to be. Been doing ok, just struggling a little getting accustomed to a new way of eating.

seriously look at some "paleo" alternatives. like I used to love spaghetti. Spaghetti squash and meatballs is my favorite meal now! Also there are cauliflower crust pizzas you can make if you do dairy. It will help you cut the carbs alot and you wont feel cheated about missing your favorite foods. Bread was a big trigger for me, but once i got rid of it, i tried eating a whole grain wrap the other day and i thought some one was trying to gut me, i felt HORRIBLE. I don't know how serious you are bout clean eating, but maybe try the whole 30 challenge and cleanse yourself of bread. then try and eat it and see how you feel. you may never want it again! either way, good luck!