Keto misconception (my thoughts)

Options
I have seen many people become discourage when going on keto because they hear increased fat loss and think that means faster weight loss. These are two different things!

In keto I believe you should still expect the same weight loss you would on the same cal deficit with any other macro composition. The advantage to keto is, once adapted, more of that weight will come from fat reserves than any other resource in your body(read muscle).

This means you will need to lose less weight to uncover your muscle, because you will keep more of your muscle mass.

Any keto experts please let me know if my thoughts are correct.

Replies

• blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you - though I just looked my at stats since starting keto and I am one of the lucky ones that loses weight faster on keto. It took me 7mo to lose 20lb on a regular calorie restricted & exercise regime, and only 4 months on a keto diet, exercising the same to lose 20lb.

And while that's great, that's not the reason I love this diet. I love it, and it works, because I'm not hungry constantly anymore. The high fat part of the diet means I can eat less calories and actually feel full. I don't have to give in to binges every few weeks. I'm more encouraged to do exercise because exercise increases my ketone levels, meaning I burn more fat. And I burn fat every single week on this diet, and I don't lose muscle very much anymore. On my other diet, I was always fighting to retain muscle - gain it one week, lose it next, over and over again. Now I just get to keep it and build it for a more healthy body that is much slimmer at the same weight because a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat.
  • Ninanator
    Options
    I have to agree with you both! Losing 5 lbs on keto is nothing like the old 5 lbs from the previous macros. When I lose 5lbs now, it comes with increase muscle mass (no loss of muscle for me!), and more inches lost. That means more than 5 lbs of fat lost, more than what the scale showed. I'm never hungry, have more energy, and my hair and skin have improved so much. It's different, and if you only look at the scale, you may be a bit disappointed at times. I now love the tape measure lol, and my new clothes.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've beem on keto for about 5 months. I've lost 10 kg but last 2 months it was zero, nada. So I've been reading and talking with some more experienced and they said that Keto is ok in the begginig, but eventually your metabolism slows down and it's better to zig zag. I'm so confused i don't know what to think and who to believe. Some says just stick to keto, and others suggest go with zig zag. I workout, I watch my macros and callories but nothing happened for 2 months. I even think I gained some fat instead of loosing it.

Any advise, thoughs, research, anything?
  • 195to135
    195to135 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've beem on keto for about 5 months. I've lost 10 kg but last 2 months it was zero, nada. So I've been reading and talking with some more experienced and they said that Keto is ok in the begginig, but eventually your metabolism slows down and it's better to zig zag. I'm so confused i don't know what to think and who to believe. Some says just stick to keto, and others suggest go with zig zag. I workout, I watch my macros and callories but nothing happened for 2 months. I even think I gained some fat instead of loosing it.

Have you tried a carb up day to break your stall?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

What kinda workout are you doing? Do you measure using keto blood strips to see if you are in ketosis?
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tried fat fasting and yes I'm using urine Kato strips an they show ketosis. Some days milder and others harder. I've been running 1-2 x a week (10km, 1h). I'm also doing TRX 3 times a week (40min train like a pro) and kettlebell training 1-2x a week.
    So I'm really confused right now and I want to loose this extra fat and get more ripped :)