Anyone doing Atkins 1972 (stricter)?

sallyaj
sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
This is my third time doing Atkins. Ten years ago I lost 20 pounds in three months -- and kept it off for a few years. I used the 1972 book, because I found it at a yard sale.

A few years ago I wanted to drop 10 pounds before summer, so I tried Atkins again -- this time the new version with the "net" carbs and bars and treats. I did lose, but much more slowly.

This time I have 15 lbs to lose before a beach vacation at the end of the month, so I am going back to the original 1972 Induction Diet.

Atkins 1972: for one week or two (your choice when to start adding carbs back) you eat only the following foods:

Meats (unlimited beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish - including canned tuna)
Eggs (unlimited and cooked any style)
Cheese (4 oz of any hard cheese -- no soft cheeses or spreads)
Cream (4 teaspoons daily)
Coffee, tea, sugar-free drinks (unlimited so long as they are zero carbs)
Butter and other oils and fats (unlimited)
Lettuce, celery, cucumbers, radishes (2 cups a day)
Mayonaise and Salad Dressings (full-fat, unlimited so long as they have 0 carbs)

No fruit.
No bread, pasta, rice, flour (carbs) at all.
No alcohol.

It is really hard for the first three days -- but by day three you lose all hunger, lose all cravings. Plus, the weight just melts right off, and that is motivation enough to keep going.

Is anyone else doing Atkins 1972? I'd love to share tips.

Replies

• shanasv
    shanasv Posts: 4 Member
    I just started Atkins on Tuesday and that sounds like what I am doing, although I have the 2004 book. In the past when I have done the net carb thing with low carb breads and bars, I do not lose!
  • sallyaj
    Hi Shanasv, Its my personal view that the whole "net" carb thing just supports their product line. When I add those supposedly low net carb treats, my cravings come back. It just doesn't work for me.

Tomorrow will start my second week of "induction". I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to make a crustless quiche and have a slice every day for breakfast, for lunch a wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese and crumbled bacon, for dinner either steak in creamy mushroom sauce or tex mex salad.

Do you have a favorite meal?
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    I'm doing kind of a modified Atkins--the only (most) carbs I try to consume come from veggies. I try to stick with less than 100g of carbs a day, but most days I am under 50g.

One thing I have noticed with this being my 3rd time doing low-carb--the bars, shakes, etc. don't help at all. I stalled big time when I was consuming the shakes and bars last time--this time, nope.
  • sallyaj
    I agree! If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do the full press and avoid treats and cheats.

I am doing >20 carbs a day for the next 7 days, then I'm going to add some. I'm looking forward to more veggies, some full fat yogurt and beans.

I've also been reading up on nutritional ketosis after seeing the film Fat Head. I'm realizing there is no diet that's right for everyone. We who get fat on the food guide pyramid need to experiment and find our own way.
  • shanasv
    shanasv Posts: 4 Member
    I am on day 4, and haven't had a loss yet. When I did this a few years ago I lost 10 lbs the first week!

Oh, my favorite meal was boiled seafood. YUM, but I can't afford to do that every night! :)

I have been eating a lot of eggs and salads.
  • sallyaj
    Oh, what a great idea! Shrimp in butter sauce. Maybe I'll make that for Valentine's Day. I'm hoping by Vday I'll have met my 10 pound goal and can start to add a few carbs -- like a glass of red wine!
  • Bigbobhatley
    Bigbobhatley Posts: 6 Member
    Looking for a good low carb recipe, I found in the Atkins cookbook is Green Chile Pork Stew. It good on induction, also you can use chicken or beef.
    2 1/2 lbs of meat-
    1/2 cup of chicken broth- 2 med oinons chopped- 4 cloves crushed garlic-
    in pan over medium heat till liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown ( about 45 mins )

Add 1 1/4 cups chicken broth- 20 oz diced tomatoes- 2 cups poblano chiles-
    2 teaspoons dried oregano- 1 teaspoon ground cumin- 1/4 teaspoon salt
    reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hour
    net carbs 4
    fiber 1
    protein 32
    calories 450 per cup
    I started then new Atinks Jan 2. lost 19 lbs. I havn't lost for the last 1 1/2 but it happened earlier in diet also, then comes off pretty fast. Still doing 20 to 30 net carbs. Seems to be working for me. Can't believe I still havn't had any bread. My weakness.
    Hope you like this recipes.
  • Becky2816
    Becky2816 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm on day 2 of Atkins 72, but I've been on the <20 net carbs plan since Jan. 2nd. Feelin' good- it's hard to get hungry!!
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Last month I did the 72' version for about two weeks (lost 10 pounds that quick), but then I switched to the newer version because...well...I got tired of eating the same ole' same ole'. The weight isn't coming off as quickly now, but I'm working on upping exercise to compensate for that. I think right now my body is also adjusting to the 'muscle weighs more than fat' side of things.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'd be interested in this approach. Like you I only have about 15 pounds to lose.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    I'm on my 11th day of Atkins. I've only lost .5lbs so far, but I'm staying focused! It always takes a bit for my body to "get with it" when I diet & exercise. I've got the new version of his book, but am keeping it simple. I stay away from the bars & packaged stuff and focus on real food, mostly meat and salads. I'm one of those people that feels great eating this way, no sluggishness or moodiness, I can even exercise for an hour a day. I've had some missteps, but am not getting discouraged! Good luck to everyone, I'm sending friend requests :)
  • abcdefghijkayla
    abcdefghijkayla Posts: 24 Member
    I don't count the net carbs. 20g all day, every day!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    I am keeping mine at 25 or less... And i will for a long time....I DO look at net carbs BUT I don't really count them only fiber counts but I never ever eat sugar alcohols.... I especially don't eat any of the Atkins products.... No bars or shakes or microwave dinners... I don't lose on them.
    I also have to limit my cheese intake. And cream intake and have to be sure IF I eat them that I eat full fat
    I can't so fruits at all and have to strictly limit nuts.

If I follow Atkins induction closely then I lose..... But if I add in all the stuff that is not induction friendly I don't.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    I'm also not doing the NET carbs thing but I do count calories. I don't believe that you can eat as much as you want to and lose weight. Atkins products are not available here in Italy but if they were I would probably use them when travelling or when I'm really too tired to prepare anything else.
  • FYI- Atkins has NEVER supported eating all the calories you want, in ANY of the books! :)

The recommended amount of calories for weight loss on Atkins is 1500-1800 for women; 1800-2000 for men. Higher than a Low Calorie diet, but still NOT unlimited!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    I did the stricter for induction and only added onions after that, and I always went a bit overboard on my dried spices like cayenne and garlic powder (yeah, my breath was pretty reeky). Most of all, I stayed far away from the packaged bars and foods. Alcohol was a rare treat, since it did seem to stall me out.
  • MissImpala
    MissImpala Posts: 17 Member
    I just elimanated the shakes, bars and pig skins to see which ones are causing me to stall. Can't seem to get under 330.

This diet is amazing, I am still trying to get the hang of it, fell off of the wagon a few times, but still learning.... I was at an average of 2.6 lbs per week, but this stall has killed me on my average. I was using the shakes as a meal replacement, but I think they might be hurting me. Think I might check out the 1972 version. It seems that the more structured my diet the better I do... on Atkins anyway. Every other diet I would end up bingeing...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    I just elimanated the shakes, bars and pig skins to see which ones are causing me to stall. Can't seem to get under 330.

This diet is amazing, I am still trying to get the hang of it, fell off of the wagon a few times, but still learning.... I was at an average of 2.6 lbs per week, but this stall has killed me on my average. I was using the shakes as a meal replacement, but I think they might be hurting me. Think I might check out the 1972 version. It seems that the more structured my diet the better I do... on Atkins anyway. Every other diet I would end up bingeing...

There are a lot of people on the Atkins forum who say artificial sugars stall them out, so best to just eliminate them. I'm assuming the shakes were chock full of them.
  • Hi im new to atkins starting it tomorrow can someone please explain to me about the carbs. I thought it was carbs minus the fiber and needs to be 20 or under? Thanks
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Hi im new to atkins starting it tomorrow can someone please explain to me about the carbs. I thought it was carbs minus the fiber and needs to be 20 or under? Thanks

In America it's Total carbohydrates minus fiber in the later and current Atkins plan. In the original it was just "carbohydrates"