Net carbs?

Options
I just started Induction Phase today and am wondering what the heck is the difference between net carbs and real carbs? Or are they the same thing? For example, on the front of an Atkins Shake it says it contains only 1g net carbs. Then, you read the nutrients section and it says it contains 2g carbs. So, which is accurate? I need to keep my carb intake > 20g per day.

Replies

• tunesntea
    Options
    I just started Induction Phase today and am wondering what the heck is the difference between net carbs and real carbs? Or are they the same thing? For example, on the front of an Atkins Shake it says it contains only 1g net carbs. Then, you read the nutrients section and it says it contains 2g carbs. So, which is accurate? I need to keep my carb intake > 20g per day.

Net carbs is when you deduct the fiber from the carb count. A lot of Atkins people do NET carbs. There is also a lot of Atkins people that don't do NET carbs because they find it stalls them. I don't do net carbs but if I accidentally go slightly over my carb count after having veggies then I don't feel so bad knowing they are from veggies and could be netted but I don't intentionally use Net counts.

A lot of us stay away from bars and shakes because of the tendency to stall and then a lot of us also don't do Net carbs.

If you decide to do NET and it's no problem then don't worry about it. If you're not dropping weight as expected then most cut out prepared meals, bars and shakes first and then secondly, may count all carbs.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Basically what PP said. Some people can drink the shakes and eat the bars and be fine (or things like sugar free candy), but others have to stick to carbs and not net carbs (which net carbs is carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols).