Looking for Paleo friends....

Options
cmbx2mom
cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
I've been doing Crossfit for ~4 months and have been dabbling with paleo diet. We're starting a Paleo challenge and I would like to add friends for support/recipes/food ideas etc etc.
It would be helpful if you have an open diary so I can see what others eat, I'm especially intersted in snacks as I find those are my hardest "meals" to figure out.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm always happy to have more Paleo friends :)

Have you considered cutting out snacks? I find myself feeling a lot better when I stick to 2-3 squares per day. I have nuts and things on hand if I think I might die if I don't eat something, but I find that a lot of my snacking tendencies are an emotionally triggered or boredom driven thing.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Either don't snack (eating this way doesn't require constant grazing) or just eat the same foods as you would at any time. Great snacks: homemade jerky, eggs, avocado, veggies, leftovers, you name it.

I keep my diary completely open to everyone.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we need to snack because we are running ut of available food to draw glucose from. Sugar takes about half an hour to go through our systems and be gone. Carbs up to 2 hours, proteins 3-5 hours. So if you are eating solid proteins and fats, they take many hours to digest and for the body to take the glucose out to circulate through the body..So, usually the higher fat and protein will keep you stable and nourished and not needing snacks.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent.

:drinker:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we need to snack because we are running ut of available food to draw glucose from. Sugar takes about half an hour to go through our systems and be gone. Carbs up to 2 hours, proteins 3-5 hours. So if you are eating solid proteins and fats, they take many hours to digest and for the body to take the glucose out to circulate through the body..So, usually the higher fat and protein will keep you stable and nourished and not needing snacks.

Eh, you don't need to snack. The body can make the glucose it needs, and can run just fine on ketones (no, nutritional ketosis is not bad). If you're fat-adapted, you don't really need dietary glucose at all (and the veggies in one's diet are for the micronutrients more than the carb content), because you'll already be running on fat reserves.
  • cmbx2mom
    cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, challenge is 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. +2 points per paleo meal/snack, -3 for non paleo. So if I don't eat snacks I actually lose out on points.
    Ok, besides my extreme competiveness...I do find it easier to make it through the day if I do snack. Otherwise I have a tendency to try and overly stuff myself at meals to make it to the next one. And there's nothing worse then being hungry and knowing you have nothing acceptable to eat. I"d rather be ready with some paleo snacks if possible....
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A snack to me is 1/4 cup of walnuts or almonds, something like that, I usually have them after work before I exercise or do more physical work and want to power through the activity. I am not always hungry but I do not want to poop out during the work out and it helps me get closer to my calories for the day because I am usually under.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Im mostly Paleo. And my diary is open.

Snacks are hard for me to. Nuts kill me not only in calories but in fat.

I have found that making a shake has helped. I use coconut milk, kale, frozen banana and will add sometimes cocoa powder or a different fruit or almond butter..mix and match it
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for mfp friends too! My diet is a little (or a lot) fat heavy lately as I'm playing around with keto. I have been paleo for 2 years and would be happy to have you peak at my diary. I do paleo + high quality dairy (heavy cream and good aged cheese).
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I couldn't remember where I found this yesterday...but if I feel snacky these do the trick for me.

http://www.budget101.com/copycat-clone-recipes/make-your-own-copycat-lara-bars-4047.html
  • queensey
    queensey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I would like to start Paleo and would also love to have Paleo friends for support advice and diary inspiration :) I need to loose 4 stone and get rid of horrible heartburn. Feel free to add me too :)
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would love some primal/paleo friends too! I'm definitely not 100% yet. I've definitely had my ups and downs. When I'm really trying my best I get great results, unfortunately I sort of gave up after starting a really intense job. Now that I'm back up to 200lbs (YIKES!) I'm trying again to see if I can really make a lifestyle change towards whole foods and paleo ones as much as I can and get back on track!
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for ~4 months and have been dabbling with paleo diet. We're starting a Paleo challenge and I would like to add friends for support/recipes/food ideas etc etc.
    It would be helpful if you have an open diary so I can see what others eat, I'm especially intersted in snacks as I find those are my hardest "meals" to figure out.

Thanks!!!

FR sent.

I snack a lot so I just went to Trader Joe's and bought a variety of nuts to keep here at the office. I have a little measuring cup and that has worked out very well for me so far. I also picked up some dried apricots. For me, the rule is "if you're hungry, then eat."
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm Paleo. I snack more than I should (usually nuts, carrots, and salad) but I'm stuck in the office all day. I'll send a friend request. Anyone else who views this thread feel free to friend me.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Im mostly Paleo. And my diary is open.

Snacks are hard for me to. Nuts kill me not only in calories but in fat.

I have found that making a shake has helped. I use coconut milk, kale, frozen banana and will add sometimes cocoa powder or a different fruit or almond butter..mix and match it

What do you mean nuts kill you in fat? What do you have your fat set as? Are you sure it's not too low if nuts are putting you over the edge?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well - I've been Primal going on 5 years now (not super strict, but I follow the 80/20...most of the time it's about 90/10, but sometimes, I have weekends that are like 20/80, so it balances out, haha)

My diary's open as well.
  • Clutha_R
    Clutha_R Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Happy to be added as a friend, I've been following a paleo approach for the last 40 days and I have to admit I love it. It's totally changed my ability to regulate my food intake and I'm also getting back into cooking my own food and relying on wholesome food that tastes great. My diary's open so feel free to add me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, challenge is 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. +2 points per paleo meal/snack, -3 for non paleo. So if I don't eat snacks I actually lose out on points.
    Ok, besides my extreme competiveness...I do find it easier to make it through the day if I do snack. Otherwise I have a tendency to try and overly stuff myself at meals to make it to the next one. And there's nothing worse then being hungry and knowing you have nothing acceptable to eat. I"d rather be ready with some paleo snacks if possible....

There's more and more people talking about "challenges" and competitions. I don't understand this. So, someone has decided that everyone should eat 6 meals per day so one loses "points" if they don't? Ridiculous. Most people that "need" to snack frequently are having issues with blood sugar and eating too many carbs/starch/sugar. It's illogical to me that the human body can't operate on periods of food shortage; in fact, it does and usually it's optimal.

There's nothing wrong with snacking if that works for you, but there should be no one dictating to another that they must eat a certain number of meals per day for "points". Paleo snacks are easy; can of salmon, oysters, handful of veggies, avocado, leftovers, etc.

The Paleo lifestyle is only a win as a permanent commitment. Measuring ourselves against others is illogical and imo totally detrimental and fosters a competition/race mentality that is not healthy.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Feel free to add me.
    I have been Paleo/Primal for about a year!
    My diary is open to my friends.