New to Yoga and Pilates - Suggestions?

Options
debrakgoogins
debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
I am 45 years old. I had been athletic and in great shape my whole life, even after the birth of my children. I used to be a martial artist. I was extremely flexible (kicks well above my head, splits, etc.). Then, a few years ago a small fall down my basement stairs changed everything. I dislocated my sacral joint and pelvis, broke my tailbone and pulled every muscle in my pelvic floor. 4 surgeries later, I am 30 pounds heavier, completely out of shape and barely able to touch my toes. My balance is off because my pelvis tilts on the right side. Martial arts is out of the question because kicks cause my pelvis to shift even more.

I have started doing some stretch/yoga DVD's on my own and Pop Pilates. I understand body mechanics and proper positioning from years of exercise. The main issue I am having is that I have developed arthritis and some of the positions are uncomfortable only because of the pressure on the joint. For instance, laying on my side is very painful on my hip joint (not the muscles but the bone) or anything on my knees (again because of the arthritis buildup on the knees where the knee touches the floor). I use towels which helps but is there anything else out there that I can use to cushion the joints better when I exercise? Any other suggestions you can give for someone like me would be great!

Replies

• PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm 46(well, soon anyway) and I have done martial arts as well and I do yoga too. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to this one regarding arthritis per se, except to consult your physician.

If you can get some exercise in the water, I would suggest that. A good hot tub might help too.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Hi

I'm 46(well, soon anyway) and I have done martial arts as well and I do yoga too. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to this one regarding arthritis per se, except to consult your physician.

If you can get some exercise in the water, I would suggest that. A good hot tub might help too.

I enjoy water jogging and water aerobics, I do that quite a bit once the weather gets a little warmer. However, they really don't help my flexibility and strength. They do get my heart rate up which is always good but I am looking to tone up a little more than the water exercises do.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think yoga and pilates is the best thing for gaining back flexibility and I swear by two online / iPad aps. one is Yoga HD..if you download the full set of information, it takes you through how to set up your own sets of yoga routines or you can use the many, many preset ones. You can avoid all the ones that kill your joints. It has a lot of training briefs and documents and FAQ ... There is a cud zillion yoga poses that strengthen you without killing your knees or elbows or back. i

The other type of exercise that combines yoga, pilates and barre is Barre3.. they have an ap for the iPad or you can subscribe to the on line sessions - 10 minutes, 20, 30 and 60 minutes sessions. They have standing routines that avoid pressure on knees and backs. www.barre3.com...

Enjoy the journey back and go at your own pace in your own way.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    I think yoga and pilates is the best thing for gaining back flexibility and I swear by two online / iPad aps. one is Yoga HD..if you download the full set of information, it takes you through how to set up your own sets of yoga routines or you can use the many, many preset ones. You can avoid all the ones that kill your joints. It has a lot of training briefs and documents and FAQ ... There is a cud zillion yoga poses that strengthen you without killing your knees or elbows or back. i

The other type of exercise that combines yoga, pilates and barre is Barre3.. they have an ap for the iPad or you can subscribe to the on line sessions - 10 minutes, 20, 30 and 60 minutes sessions. They have standing routines that avoid pressure on knees and backs. www.barre3.com...

Enjoy the journey back and go at your own pace in your own way.

Thank you PKW! I'll check into those.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    For lying down on your side, you should be able to tilt your weight forward and come off of your hip joint.
    If you let me know which yoga poses you are doing on your knees that hurt, I can give you an alternative pose. For example: if you are doing ustrasana (camel pose), you can do dhanurasana (bow pose) instead. They are the same shape and have basically the same benefits.

Hope that helps.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You may want to consult a yoga studio about a few private lessons. It would likely be worth the money to have a professional put together a safe and painless routine for you. The last thing you want to do is suffer another injury.

Good luck!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You may want to consult a yoga studio about a few private lessons. It would likely be worth the money to have a professional put together a safe and painless routine for you. The last thing you want to do is suffer another injury.

Good luck!

I think this is a great idea! I wish we had a "professional health/fitness advisor" section on MFP where we could post our favorite instructors and why. We seem to get a lot of posts about the "bad" ones and if we could have a place to post "positive" reviews only by city/state/country that we be awesome....
  • ktdeangelis
    ktdeangelis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All of the above!! I used to do yoga DVDs, and yoga classes at a gym, and then about a year ago, I joined an actual dedicated yoga studio. They had a beginner series that broke down the poses, and allowed the yogis to actually show you the correct alignment, and breathing. They also showed you great modifications that allow you to build up to the full fledged asanas (the physical postures).

Yoga is absolutely fantastic, but should definitely at first be practiced under the eye of someone that can help you with good form. There is the possibility to injury yourself if you do not have the correct alignment in a particular asana. I also find that the atmosphere of the studio helps with my meditation, but that may just be be :)

Ohm shanti!!
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Thank you everyone! These are great suggestions. I think I will try a few private classes.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Just an update from where I was a month ago... I no longer am having pain when I do my exercises. In fact, I find that I often move off my mat and just work on the rug. I am much more flexible, am able to hold tree poses now and my strength has improved so much that I started a 4 week low impact fat burning program with fitnessblender.com. I still do my yoga as often as I can on top of this program and LOVE IT! I lost 5 pounds in February so something is definitely working. I credit the yoga with helping me gain the strength to start doing the harder training.