XBOX ONE PS4

Options
2»

Replies

• StarGeezer
    Options
    Regarding backward compatibility: Both Sony and Microsoft have said (in very vague terms) that they intend to support some sort of streaming support of older games in the future. I'm not at all sure how solid this relatively new technology is going to work, but it's slated for both consoles. There are many unanswered questions, such as: if I already own a disc version of the game, will I get to play the game for free or at least at a greatly reduced cost? Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Sony have now said in less vague terms that it's coming soon (this summer in the US), PS3 streaming to PS4, Vita and new Bravias. No word yet on whether existing ownership will count for anything though.

I've heard positive things so far, but since I wasn't at the CES to witness it firsthand, I'm still going to take a wait-and-see posture. I'm mostly concerned about how they handle spooling/buffering, and latency (how fast will it respond to commands.) If they can do that with reasonable results, I'm on-board.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm playing the waiting game till next fall. I can't really justify a new console with no games I want to play. Right now my 3DS is getting alot of work. That and I have a backlog of steam games that can last me for the rest of time.
  • Scribble27
    Scribble27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a PS4, i don't think you can really go wrong with either console to be honest.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We have both a Ps4 and an xbox1.
    My Xbox son likes the xbox1, and play station dad(me), likes the PS4.
    The only real advantage that the xbox has is that you can voice chat independent of what game you are in. That is mostly important for kids.
    I personally love the playstsAtion controller and never warmed up to the xbox controller.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The only real advantage that the xbox has is that you can voice chat independent of what game you are in. That is mostly important for kids.

You can do that on PS4.
  • kelswadd
    kelswadd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I got each console at launch, and so far we use the Xbox One far more than the PS4, however, they're both great.

I discovered the Xbox Fitness app the other day, and love it. Dozens of free workouts (if you have xbox live gold) and the acheivements are motivating. I'm just beginning an exercise program, and love how many 10-minute workouts there are. I can do anything for 10 minutes, and it's motivating to do 'just one more' to earn more stars.
  • leonardn2011
    Options
    As an Xbox owner for many years I made the switch to the PS4. I made this switch when Microsoft made several poor choices that I felt were a middle finger to me as a customer (later recanting on many, but whatever). I Don't need to go into all the details but having a camera in my living room that could be used to watch me and is so sensitive it could be made see my genitals moving through my clothes was a big turn off. At any rate I bought a PS4 and love the thing. it does not have some of the features that make a Xbox one more of an entertainment jack of all trades but I am a gamer primarily and like to own what I spend my hard earned money one so...
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My bf and I have a ps4, just waiting for more games to come out! However, we have Knack and it shows off the system very nicely. :)
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the home electronics section of a store, and we had a little saying:

"PS sells the most initially upon release, but XBOX takes the cake for best sales over time." ;) Eh...whether that's REALLY true, idk. Haha.

Really, I just tell people that it can depend on your gaming style. If you're a competitive gamer (ie: first person shooters), an XBOX is ideal, as Microsoft pretty much dominates the competitive gaming scene. If you're a casual gamer (ie: family games like Mario, adventure games, etc.), get PS. Both have good graphics, both will charge for playing multiplayer online, and one brand doesn't typically "perform" markedly better than the other (though many die-hards would find some angle upon which to disagree). A lot of preference people have has to deal with brand loyalty. I have never owned a PS and probably never will.

Keep in mind the type of games you will want to play. Occasionally, a game will come out for one console but is not supported by the other. But generally this isn't an issue with most big titles.

Also, if you or family members are really interested in Kinect gaming/fitness capabilities, then the XBOX is the way to go.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the home electronics section of a store, and we had a little saying:

"PS sells the most initially upon release, but XBOX takes the cake for best sales over time." ;) Eh...whether that's REALLY true, idk. Haha.

Really, I just tell people that it can depend on your gaming style. If you're a competitive gamer (ie: first person shooters), an XBOX is ideal, as Microsoft pretty much dominates the competitive gaming scene. If you're a casual gamer (ie: family games like Mario, adventure games, etc.), get PS. Both have good graphics, both will charge for playing multiplayer online, and one brand doesn't typically "perform" markedly better than the other (though many die-hards would find some angle upon which to disagree). A lot of preference people have has to deal with brand loyalty. I have never owned a PS and probably never will.

Keep in mind the type of games you will want to play. Occasionally, a game will come out for one console but is not supported by the other. But generally this isn't an issue with most big titles.

Also, if you or family members are really interested in Kinect gaming/fitness capabilities, then the XBOX is the way to go.
    Yeah, the Kinect is really great :)
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Got the One at launch. Was torn between the two but I'm really happy with it. As others have said, some kinks need to be worked out with the UI but you can see the potential with the new Kinect and the power of the UI to multitask. We are loving the Skype, it is almost cinematic and a completely different experience to be able to chat naturally with the whole family in the room. Also am digging the fitness app. And love the tv and voice integration. Really love the voice integration period.

From a gaming standpoint, the current games out are great (especially Forza) and looking forward to Titanfall but as with all launches, a little thin so won't hurt to wait. Also, I might wait until the next UI update for Xbox Live which I think will improve the experience further.

If you are looking for a pure old fashioned gaming system, hard to go wrong with PS4 since it's cheaper and sounds rock solid. If you want something that's going to open new possibilities as a multimedia and gaming center, the One will probably become the showcase of your digital entertainment center.
  • SevenFlorins
    Options
    It really is a preference just like everyone is saying. I don't have any cable and I really enjoyed inFamous 1 & 2. Also my friend has a PS4, so the choice was pretty easy for me. I'd suggest looking at the game lineups for this year and seeing which system interests you more.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was set to switch to PS4 this gen mainly because I had no desire for the camera and there were not any exclusives that made me willing to pay an additional $100 for the console. Then I stumbled on a great deal and got a Day one version of Xbox One for $450. So I'm happy and playing AC4 and just bought BF4 on Ebay. W00T!
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting the PS4 but I would love to have both :love:
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    We have an Xbox one. Haven't really played PS in a decade or so and we've enjoyed our Xbox 360 so we went for the Xbox one. I'm kinda addicted to the voice control. There aren't many titles yet; that's pretty bleh. I love it when it isn't annoying me by being too smart and recognizing I'm holding my son's controller.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    ... but having a camera in my living room that could be used to watch me and is so sensitive it could be made see my genitals moving through my clothes was a big turn off.

This was a turn off for you? We must be very different people.
    :wink: