Help! I'm shedding! O.O

Options
Rindabu
Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
I had my surgery 4 months ago and i've lost about 80lbs. Lately, i have noticed that i'm losing a little more than just fat. I mean my hair. I used to have a random strands fall out here and there. My hair is usually pretty thick. It's coming out in small clumps!!! My hair is now about as thick as my 4 yr old's hair. Not very...

I was told that i would lose some hair and that it would grow back, but i was wondering if anyone else had lost a lot of hair and how long it took to grow back. Also, is there anything you can do or take to slow down the hair loss?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any significant hair loss myself, but other people have said to take biotin or hair and nail vitamins and that should help. I take both.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 16 months ago and never experienced much hair loss. I kept my protein at about 60-80 grams per day and took all of my vitamins regularly (multi, calcium, iron, and b12.) I think my texture was a bit off for a bit, but no hair loss at all. I think that many people experience this and I have heard from some that biotin helps, but I have also heard that it doesn't. I think just time and the weight loss slowing down will bring the hair back. I wouldn't worry too much. It's not permanent.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had significant hair loss between 3 months and 9 months post-RNY. After that, it started to grow back without any problems. I took biotin, but I don't know if it actually helped. I found that a shorter hair style worked better for me until my hair grew back. Keep your protein up, at least 75 grams - more if possible - and get your fluids in. Things WILL get better!

Best wishes!!

Maggy
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    YES! My wife has and I had the surgery about the same time. She lost a BUNCH of hair. I didn't. Her's did grow back in though. Things that are important for limiting the hair loss, and accelerating it's growing back. Eat your protein, drink your water, and take your vitamins.

The reason for the lost is your body does not readily absorb vitamins and minerals anymore. At least that is the case for those that have had the RNY bypass. Since your pouch is hooked up lower down on the intestine, your body doesn't have as much time to absorb all the vitamins. My medical team made it very clear, very early that vitamins are extremely important from the time you started your mushy phase. I take my 2x daily multi, plus B50 complex, Iron, an extra 2000 IU of D, extra C (to help with iron absorption) and calcium. Remember not to take calcium within 2 hours of taking Iron as they tend each other out.

Just be patient, as long as you are getting your nutrients in correct amounts it will grow back!
  • calicat40
    calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too and made sure i bumped up my protein and veggies. My hair quit falling out and is much better. I also stopped coloring it myself, now I pay someone to do it. I was killing my hair badly. I used to use the Nioxin for noticieably thinning hair, it helped for a while. I am now using Wella for colored hair.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. My nut said hair and nail vitamins may help some, but mostly it will come back on its own in another few months. A good stylist might be able to do something to cover it up, but my hair loss was in clumps, not just a general thinning and I'm a little self-conscious about my bald spots, so I bought a wig. So many compliments on it and it is easier to style than my hair. I just may keep wearing it even when my own hair grows back in :)
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's ALL about CONSISTANT PROTEIN & VITAMINS!!
    A minimum of 75 grams protein, my consistant intake is 90+ grams daily of high quality whey protein isolate.
    I take chewable multivitamins with iron & minerals 2x a day religiously. (see my food diary for my vit. list as it's long lol)
    Protein first, & the very best to you & your hair!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It's ALL about CONSISTANT PROTEIN & VITAMINS!!
    A minimum of 75 grams protein, my consistant intake is 90+ grams daily of high quality whey protein isolate.
    I take chewable multivitamins with iron & minerals 2x a day religiously. (see my food diary for my vit. list as it's long lol)
    Protein first, & the very best to you & your hair!

Pretty much the truth. I get about 120 gm of protein a day. I take capsule multivitamins twice daily, plus I take an additional 2000 IU of D, 3 chewable calcium, B50 complex, B-12 sublingual(hold under tongue) twice a week, iron and then extra C because it helps with iron absorption. Vitamins are something you need to take for the rest of your life. Your medical team should give you the amounts that they want you to take. I still go in for blood testing about every six months to make sure my levels are adequate. Vitamins are extremely important. For those of you with the bypass, remember your nutrient absorption rate is reduced. You'll need to take way more vitamins that the average person.

Two notes to remember with vitamins. Take calcium and iron separate. You should not take them within two hours of each other as calcium interferes with iron absorption. Also, I specifically asked my team about taking chewable vitamins vs tablet/capsule. They said it's not a problem, as long as it's not time release. The absorption rate should be the same. Tablet/capsules are MUCH cheaper than chewables.

If you look for chewables, check out Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage. Both taste good and are formulated for bariatric patients. I used Celebrate for about the first year or so, then switched to a capsule form.
  • aimeef12
    aimeef12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i dont really think i have lost hair but my hair has thinned out A LOT i just purchased biotin but was researching it online and im glad i did you have to consume A LOT of water with it and also make sure you take a multivitamin to balance out the Biotin