Trying to eat low carb. Is 100g high, medium or low ?

Options
snugglein
snugglein Posts: 18 Member
Tittle says it all..

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think 100 would be considered on the low side by most people, but if you want to do a true low carb diet, start out with 30 net (total carbs minus fiber=net carbs).

I try to stay under 50 but on the weekends typically go over that due to my enjoyment of good beer. :)
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im keeping my carbs at around 50 to lose the most weight, then i'll gradually add more when I hit my goal.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, their caloric needs and activity level. If you are very active 100 will be pretty low. 100 is a good starting point. Try it for 2 weeks and see how you're feeling.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Many low carbers are trying to get into ketosis. 100 g carbs is too high for this. So 100 g carbs is lower carb than most diets, but it would be considered relatively high carb for those doing traditional low carb diets.

For reference, Atkins induction targets 20 g net carbs.

Keto targets macros of 65F-30P-5C (many people target even higher levels of fat). The carb level here is usually 20-30 g net carbs.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My net carbs daily is between 40 - 50 . But the carbs I do intake is not grain or any foods with a GI higher then 40
  • GiGiBeans
    Options
    Many low carbers are trying to get into ketosis. 100 g carbs is too high for this. So 100 g carbs is lower carb than most diets, but it would be considered relatively high carb for those doing traditional low carb diets.

Keto targets macros of 65F-30P-5C (many people target even higher levels of fat). The carb level here is usually 20-30 g net carbs.

This is not a set #. I stay in ketosis 75 net carbs, which is a lil over 100 grams gross (I usually get at least 30g fiber). It's going to depend a lot on your activity level and insulin resistance.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    So, does it matter about your gender, height and activity level when you are deciding how many carbs to eat? I mean you all seem to be answering in how many grams you eat rather than in percentages.
  • GiGiBeans
    Options
    So, does it matter about your gender, height and activity level when you are deciding how many carbs to eat? I mean you all seem to be answering in how many grams you eat rather than in percentages.

There is no set amount no matter what people here may tell you. Keto is the lowest of the low carb diets. 100 grams is still low carb.

Maybe this article will help.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your own body and how it does at 100g is up to you. A typical "low carb" diet depends on what diet you are using: Atkins (the original low carb diet) induction phase for the MOST weight loss is 20 a day, which is what I try to stay at. You can gradually increase (by 5 carbs) to see how your body does each week on that amount. The results that you want is how much you eat! So the more carbs, the slower the weight loss. It doesnt matter your gender or weight...its all about what works best for your body by trial and error!
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

totally agree!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I believe it is best to not think in grams to start with. It really depends on your total food consumption. For someone eating 3500 calories, 100 grams of carbs would be very low. If you're eating 1500 calories, then not so low. Anything below 20% in net grams is going to be low. If you're shooting for ketosis, you might have to go below 10% - 15% net carbs.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I believe 50 to 100 grams of carbohydrates is considered normal requirement for daily carbs. It's not low...
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    For a typical person, 100g is probably the most you'd want without experiencing bad bloating or weight gain. Atkins starts at 20g to get you into ketosis, which is almost painfully low. If you want a more attainable low, just keep it under 50, but aim for closer to 30g. That's worked best for me! And get those carbs not from starches or grains of course, but from your fruits and vegetables!!
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The answer. . . depends, as you can see. It depends on your goal and your metabolism. For someone who is not insulin resistant and just wants to lose weight, 100 grams per day would be considered low, as the average person eats about three times that much. But a diabetic who wishes to control his or her condition through diet would consider that high, and aim for a lot less -- the specific amount depending on the reaction to various foods as measured through blood glucose tests. The amount may also vary depending on whether the goal is weight loss v. maintenance. In short, you need to determine your own level. No easy answers here!
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. New to the carb area on here. I have lost 16 LBS in a week staying at 20 carbs or under (Not net). No real exercise yet. The only real carbs I eat are leafy greens, a few carrots, red cabbage, etc. I have a small handful of blackberries or blue berries each nighr before bed. I feel pretty good on it. A little tired once in a while but nothing serious.

RJ
  • robston
    robston Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. New to the carb area on here. I have lost 16 LBS in a week staying at 20 carbs or under (Not net). No real exercise yet. The only real carbs I eat are leafy greens, a few carrots, red cabbage, etc. I have a small handful of blackberries or blue berries each nighr before bed. I feel pretty good on it. A little tired once in a while but nothing serious.

RJ

Nice Job!!!!
  • spicekat77
    Options
    YMMV, so give it a shot and see if it works for you!!!

I for one cannot eat that many carbs.