Tuesday Feb 4th Check-in

Options
Step 1: Give us a shout when you are done logging for the day (or meal if you want) or if you have questions during the day. This is where we should check in and motivate one another! Be blessed and eat healthy and clean!

Step 2: Anything that came in a package. Does it contain more than, say, 5 ingredients? Are those ingredients real food? Is there a better alternative?

For instance, I KNOW the protein bars I have need to go, but I can't afford to toss them, so I will be replacing them with Kind brand when they are gone. I also would like to find a better alternative to the McCormick Seasoning packet, but it is what I had on hand for Monday’s dinner.

I hope everyone is having a great time getting into this and enjoying seeing the other healthy options that are out there (and are able to notice the not so healthy ones). My question is, Do we want to point out the less than healthy options each other are making? I'll let you be the judge!

Have an AMAZING Tuesday!

Replies

• nicolemarthacraig
    nicolemarthacraig Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make your own protein bars? There are some good receipes on pinterest. I made some last week using oats, nut butter & protein & water.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea, and I will be doing that as soon as I have or make the time to do so. What protein powder are you using? I need to find one with minimal to no additional ingredients.

I do, however need to have something that I can easily take with me when I am on the go. I think I am going to give Kind bars a try - they have a little better list of ingredients!
  • Byantha
    Byantha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Jams, etc - Honey Natural, 1 tablespoon
    Almonds - Almonds (Raw), 7
    Quaker Oats - 100% Whole Grain Quick, 1/3 cup
    Alberta - Hemp Hearts, 1 Tbsp

morning snack
    Gluten free blueberry muffin - Barb,
    Kraft - Smooth Peanut Butter, 1 TBSP
    Raw - Pumpkin Seeds, 0.5 Tbsp
    Blueberries - Raw, 0.25 cup
    Liberté (Canada) - 0% Plain Greek Yogurt 500g, 3/8 cup

lunch
    Tanmura & Antle - Romaine Lettuce, 2 cups
    Pc - Mammoth Stuffed Green Olives, 4 olives
    Generic - Bell Pepper, Red, Small, 0.75 pepper
    Any - Egg - 1 Large, Whole, Hard Boiled (1 Egg),
    Mary's - Organic Crackers - Gluten Free, 6.5 crackers

dinner
    Highliner - Wild Pacific Salmon Fillet, 1 fillet
    Minute Rice - Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice, 1 g (1/2 cup uncooked - 2/3 cup cooked)
    Green Giant - Summer Sweet Peas, Frozen, 0.25 cup
    Mixed Green Salad - Field Greens, 1 cup

after dinner
    Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn Buttery Flavour Mini Bag - Popcorn
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Breaks - green smoothie, collards spinach pineapple orange w chia seeds
    lunch - roasted tomato soup with spinach and a dollop of pesto, sprouted grain,bread with cheddar
    dinner- honey nut salmon with quinoa salad and roasted carrots and broccoli

2 snacks, Marys organic crackers with goat chees
    and oatmeal raisin cookie sweetened with apples

all home made today woot woot, one of my better days i think. That salmon was boss
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi So basically I copied from my food diary:

Breakfast
    Generic - Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 Scoop
    81k Silk Pure Almond Milk - Silk Pure Almond, Unsweetened, Original (30 Calories), 8 oz (1 Cup/240ml)

Lunch
    Black Bean Burgers, 1 serving(s) (homemade slow cooker black beans mixed with raw veggies and bit of breadcrumbs and dry fried in a non stick pan)
    Boiled Egg - Whole, Large, 58g, 2 large egg,

Dinner- I had dinner made and my husband walked in the door with a hamburger for me. plain with lettuce and tomato
    Generic - Hamburger Patty Grilled on Bbq 90/10, 4 oz
    Generic - Hamburger Bun, 1 bun (45 g)
    Garden Tomato - Slice, 1 medium slice 1/4'"

Snacks-basically I tasted dinner- slow cooker beans with apple sauce, pork loin and spices
    Beans - White, cooked, boiled, with salt
    Generic - Meat - Canadian Pork Loin Centre Chop
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Late dinner last night celebrating Step-Dad's birthday! Soooooo sorry I am just checking in and posting. I think I was just too tired, and it slipped my mind. It didn't help that I couldn't even log while I was out last night because I couldn't get the darned app to load. I'm really not liking the latest update on my android! I hope everyone's day went well! I was crazy busy with work and kids and dance class and the birthday dinner.

Early Morning (before workout)
    E&E Pre-Workout Drink, 1 scoop

Breakfast
    Spices - Cloves, ground
    Generic Nutmeg, Ground
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    Winn Dixie - Greek Nonfat Yogurt Plain
    Vanilla Shakeology
    Market Pantry - Apple Cinnamon Fruit Pouch
    Gnc - Women's Ultra Mega Active Vitapak Without Iron, 1 packet

Lunch
    Cabot - Salted Butter
    Bulk Commodity - Regular Rolled Oats
    Dixie Crystals - Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
    Ground - Cinnamon
    Market Pantry - Apple Cinnamon Fruit Pouches

Afternoon
    Daisy - Sour Cream
    Vine Ripe Red Tomato
    Sanitas - White Corn Tortilla Chips
    Butterball - All Natural Ground Turkey
    Winn-Dixie - Four Cheese Mexican Style Blend Made W/ 2% Milk,

Snack post workout & on the way to dinner
    Pure Protein Bar Choc Peanutbutter

Dinner
    Homemade honey baked ham,
    cornbread (jiffy mix, sour cream, corn),
    fresh spring greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, Parm cheese
    baked beans
    1 scoop of vanilla icecream
    1/2 serving chocolate shakeology
    1 cup 2%milk

I didn't have a LOT of control over my dinner, since it was a family event - but I think my day went fairly well. Is there anything you see that I could improve on?
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Breakfast
    Jams, etc - Honey Natural, 1 tablespoon
    Almonds - Almonds (Raw), 7
    Quaker Oats - 100% Whole Grain Quick, 1/3 cup
    Alberta - Hemp Hearts, 1 Tbsp

morning snack
    Gluten free blueberry muffin - Barb,
    Kraft - Smooth Peanut Butter, 1 TBSP
    Raw - Pumpkin Seeds, 0.5 Tbsp
    Blueberries - Raw, 0.25 cup
    Liberté (Canada) - 0% Plain Greek Yogurt 500g, 3/8 cup

lunch
    Tanmura & Antle - Romaine Lettuce, 2 cups
    Pc - Mammoth Stuffed Green Olives, 4 olives
    Generic - Bell Pepper, Red, Small, 0.75 pepper
    Any - Egg - 1 Large, Whole, Hard Boiled (1 Egg),
    Mary's - Organic Crackers - Gluten Free, 6.5 crackers

dinner
    Highliner - Wild Pacific Salmon Fillet, 1 fillet
    Minute Rice - Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice, 1 g (1/2 cup uncooked - 2/3 cup cooked)
    Green Giant - Summer Sweet Peas, Frozen, 0.25 cup
    Mixed Green Salad - Field Greens, 1 cup

after dinner
    Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn Buttery Flavour Mini Bag - Popcorn

Byantha,
    What are hemp hearts? I've never heard of them!
    Check the label on your peanut butter - Kraft is one of those companies that likes to sneak in a lot of non-food ingredients.
    You dinner looks YUMMY!
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Breaks - green smoothie, collards spinach pineapple orange w chia seeds
    lunch - roasted tomato soup with spinach and a dollop of pesto, sprouted grain,bread with cheddar
    dinner- honey nut salmon with quinoa salad and roasted carrots and broccoli

2 snacks, Marys organic crackers with goat chees
    and oatmeal raisin cookie sweetened with apples

all home made today woot woot, one of my better days i think. That salmon was boss

You're my hero! Your day looks AWESOME and YUMMY! Do you have a recipe for the cookies?
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Hi So basically I copied from my food diary:

Breakfast
    Generic - Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 Scoop
    81k Silk Pure Almond Milk - Silk Pure Almond, Unsweetened, Original (30 Calories), 8 oz (1 Cup/240ml)

Lunch
    Black Bean Burgers, 1 serving(s) (homemade slow cooker black beans mixed with raw veggies and bit of breadcrumbs and dry fried in a non stick pan)
    Boiled Egg - Whole, Large, 58g, 2 large egg,

Dinner- I had dinner made and my husband walked in the door with a hamburger for me. plain with lettuce and tomato
    Generic - Hamburger Patty Grilled on Bbq 90/10, 4 oz
    Generic - Hamburger Bun, 1 bun (45 g)
    Garden Tomato - Slice, 1 medium slice 1/4'"

Snacks-basically I tasted dinner- slow cooker beans with apple sauce, pork loin and spices
    Beans - White, cooked, boiled, with salt
    Generic - Meat - Canadian Pork Loin Centre Chop

Nice day. You're OBVIOUSLY a pro at this, I think I have a lot to learn from you! I've been looking for a good protein powder. What is in the Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder? Where do you get it from, and how do you like the taste?
  • Byantha
    Byantha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hemp Hearts- more protein and omega, less carbs ...than flax or chia and never genetically modified. I saw them listed in a weight loss challenge diet online. http://manitobaharvest.com/hemp_nutrition/9960/Product-Comparison.html
  • Jade0529
    Options
    Nice day. You're OBVIOUSLY a pro at this, I think I have a lot to learn from you! I've been looking for a good protein powder. What is in the Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder? Where do you get it from, and how do you like the taste?

I don't know how the quote thing works so I just cut and paste

I am not a pro, I react badly to many ingredients esp sodium so I prefer to make my own food. Believe me there was a lot more processed stuff in my past or I wouldn't be the weight I am. I do love peanut butter and that is something that I plan to either make or buy natural. The thing is money is super tight for my family- we have our own businesses, so it's cheaper for me to make food than buy premade stuff. Having said that I do have a toddler so there is premade stuff in his diet because of his sensory issues.

I went to a local health food store -organic produce and all of that, and they had "try it" sizes that you can buy so I bought 3 different ones. I chose vanilla because Chocolate is a trigger for me and I will want MORE. Honestly I think they are all disgusting! I think it's the Stevia in them makes them too sweet. I was actually hungry in an hour with the Sun Warrior so I wouldn't suggest that. The least gross tasting so far is the one today -Vega. This is the one I got

https://shopca.myvega.com/vega-sport-performance-protein.html?simpleid=230

I've decided that Beans and lentils have a huge amount of protein. I am planning on incorporating them as much as I can into the family diet rather than buying a powder.

This is getting long but I will say the best brand I used to buy (and it's pricey) is the Amazing Grass - they do have meal replacements but I used to buy the greens formula to get nutrients. It's delicious, and of course Choc was my flavor of choice

http://amazinggrass.com/index.php?p=view_category&category_id=16&option_27=Chocolate#simple_category_filter
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    I don't know how the quote thing works so I just cut and paste
    Just hit the quote link and MFP will do it for you.
    I am not a pro, I react badly to many ingredients esp sodium so I prefer to make my own food. Believe me there was a lot more processed stuff in my past or I wouldn't be the weight I am.

THIS is why I got started too!
    I do love peanut butter and that is something that I plan to either make or buy natural. The thing is money is super tight for my family- we have our own businesses, so it's cheaper for me to make food than buy premade stuff. Having said that I do have a toddler so there is premade stuff in his diet because of his sensory issues.

Right there with you! My 3-year old is PICKY! But I find ways to feed her so so gets a well-rounded meal!

On the peanut butter, there are a few brands that are pretty awesome - I think smart balance may be one? It has been a while since I bought any.
    I went to a local health food store -organic produce and all of that, and they had "try it" sizes that you can buy so I bought 3 different ones. I chose vanilla because Chocolate is a trigger for me and I will want MORE. Honestly I think they are all disgusting! I think it's the Stevia in them makes them too sweet. I was actually hungry in an hour with the Sun Warrior so I wouldn't suggest that. The least gross tasting so far is the one today -Vega. This is the one I got

https://shopca.myvega.com/vega-sport-performance-protein.html?simpleid=230

I've decided that Beans and lentils have a huge amount of protein. I am planning on incorporating them as much as I can into the family diet rather than buying a powder.

This is getting long but I will say the best brand I used to buy (and it's pricey) is the Amazing Grass - they do have meal replacements but I used to buy the greens formula to get nutrients. It's delicious, and of course Choc was my flavor of choice

http://amazinggrass.com/index.php?p=view_category&category_id=16&option_27=Chocolate#simple_category_filter

Humm... stevia doesn't taste sweet to me... it tastes earthy, if that is a descriptor for food? Thanks for the links - I will check it out. I don't want a meal replacement or snack that has other things, I like the one I use, I'm just looking for a protein powder that I can either cook with or add to my shake to increase my protein occasionally.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of beans and lentils.... I can't get anyone in my family to eat them ... I only make them when I have guests over so I get to have them then!

I do use Bobs Redmill AP GF flour for baking now, and it uses beans to make that, in part so at least there's that!
  • Jade0529
    Options
    Maybe I am one of those supertasters? I find most sweet things just disgusting now. I tried walking down the cookie/granola bars aisle in the grocery store to get my son granola bars and I had to leave. The smell of all of it combined literally made me gag! I can also taste the salt in breads. lol
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    I'm with you on the salt in breads, and I don't really like sweets... and yeah, I can smell them in the package going down the isle also... I just find stevia different. It tastes like a plant to me. Like an herb. At least when I stir it in by the spoon tip (not the spoonful) but I hardly notice it when I use it in a bread recipe instead of sugar.

Really, though - I think we are probably all better off without sugar. I can't think of one GOOD reason why we NEED sugar in our bodies?! Can you think of one? Honey and molasses is different - those have allergenic and nutritional value.
  • Jade0529
    Options
    I will see if I can find you the documentary/show I watched on the sugar industry in Britain. It was shocking actually. The scientific studies showing how sugar is just as if not more addictive that drugs was fascinating

ah found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7teGTzp9GQ
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    I will see if I can find you the documentary/show I watched on the sugar industry in Britain. It was shocking actually. The scientific studies showing how sugar is just as if not more addictive that drugs was fascinating

ah found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7teGTzp9GQ

Thanks for the video link! It sent me down a nutrition information whole! Good stuff in there!