Unsure about certain foods, are they "clean"?

Options
Instant Coffee - is this allowed?

Replies

• annettemorales06
    Options
    I drink coffee (I can not go without it) but I don't use creamer or sugar... I put a little bit of skim milk that's it :) and I only drink a cup...
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think this is going to be a personal thing to figure out what you think is "clean"

Personally I think coffee is fine. I would say refined white sugar is not great but if you can find an alternative like honey that would be okay

I stopped drinking coffee because it was giving me migraines, not because it is not "clean"
  • nicolemarthacraig
    nicolemarthacraig Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, gonna keep drinking it, black.

What about Alpro Hazlenut Milk?
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jade0529.

I think you have to decide how clean you are aiming for. If you are coming from eating fast food, then maybe eating clean just means dumping the fast food and colas. If you have already passed that point, then maybe you are working on eating less processed foods, past that, maybe working on the ingredients list of particular items, past that, maybe how whole foods like meat and vegetables and dairy are handled ... I think we are all on a different point in our journey and we need to decide where we want to be with it.

Personally, I think a MINOR amount of sugar is ok. I have been considering switching to brown sugar (less processed) for my spoonfuls, but I use it very little. I try to use stevia in my baking, and use honey (or fruit) in my yogurt, pancakes, and waffles. I drink mostly water. I think coffee is fine, and there are studies that show coffee is a healthy drink in moderation. Just don't overdo it with creamers and sugars. I think the WORSE thing you can do to your coffee is add splenda, equal or any of those other chemical sweeteners. I tried stevia, but I don't like it in my drinks... I reserve it for baking only!

I either have to drink weak coffee or have a shot of espresso to drink my coffee black. If I am drinking only coffee, I will have it with one spoon of sugar and 3 spoons of 1/2 & 1/2 - that's usually only on the weekends. During the week, I just add a starbucks via to my chocolate or vanilla shake. I LOVE the taste of coffee, and starbucks instant tastes like coffee should.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Thanks Guys, gonna keep drinking it, black.

What about Alpro Hazlenut Milk?

This is from their website. I think that this is not a bad thing. I think this is not "food from the source" but I know I'm not there yet and I would give this a try. I'm not so hardcore that I wouldn't allow this. Thoughts? Anyone agree / disagree?

Alpro Fresh Hazelnut Drink

GDA (200ml)
    kcal
    3%
    sugar
    7%
    fat
    5%
    saturated
    2%
    salt
    4%
    Nutritional Information ()
    Energy value 119kJ/29Kcal
    Protein 0.3 g
    Carbohydrate
    3.0 g sugars 3,0g lactose 0g
    fat
    1.6 g saturated 0.2g mono unsaturated 1.3g poly unsaturated 0.1g
    Cholesterol 0
    Fibre 0.3 g
    Sodium 0.05 g
    Calcium 120 mg (15%*)
    Vitamins vitamin B12 0.38µg vitamin D2 0.75µg riboflavin (B2) 0.21mg vitamin E
    Ingredients
    Water, Sugar, Hazelnuts (2.5%), Tri-calcium phosphate, sea salt, Stabilisers (Locust bean gum, Gellan gum). Emulsifier, (Sunflower lecithin), Vitamins (Riboflavin (B2), B12, E, D2)
  • Byantha
    Byantha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh...coffee flavour added to your morning shake? Sounds wonderful! share your recipe?
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    Options
    Ooohhh...coffee flavour added to your morning shake? Sounds wonderful! share your recipe?

Byantha, I am sorry I missed this. My recipe is quite uneventful! I use 1 packet of starbucks via - usually columbian, because it is my favorite, and either almond breeze almond milk or fat free milk (1-2 cups, depending on how many calories I want), and a scoop of vanilla or chocolate shakeology superfood powder. I have to admit the chocolate is much better in this than the vanilla, and sometimes I will add a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder to the vanilla. If I am looking for more calories, I sometimes add a tablespoon each of chia seeds and flax seeds. For variety, I will also sometimes add 2 tablespoons of PB2 to my shake. MMMM chocolate peanut butter coffee, so yummy! ;) Or maybe it's just fond memories of my grandpa who always had a cup of black coffee with 2 spoons of sugar and a spoon of peanut butter, a silly habit he picked up during the war!

Either way, I hope you enjoy, and I am sure you could substitute whatever chocolate or vanilla superfood powder you have for shakeology. Just use one that is about 100-150 calories and that you like the taste of plain!

Oh - in the summer, I add a couple cubes of ice - sometimes I blend, sometimes I just shake and go. In the winter months I skip the ice and have it whatever temp all the ingredients combined yield! A banana is also a nice ad-in if you're blending!

Happy healthier coffee!