Cholesterol Improvements After 5 months of keto

Options
Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of low carb haters like to scare people away from high fat diets with talks of cholesterol, etc. I just wanted to share my recent cholesterol improvements, as I am quite ecstatic about them. I am proof positive that you can eat lots of fat (55+% per day), eat yummy fats like bacon pretty much every day :-), and lose weight and improve health markers at the same time.

My work gives health insurance premium discounts for reaching certain biometirc goals, or getting coaching on those markers that you miss. One of the things tested for is cholesterol (total, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides.

In the past 6 months I have lost 70 pounds, lost 13 inches off of my waist, and even as much as I like looking and feeling younger, healther, and IMO better, I am most happy about the improvement in the health markers.

Over the course of 6 months, here are the changes:

Total Cholesterol: 181 --> 169
LDL: 129 -->107 (the biometric requirement is 130, so I barely beat it last time)
HDL: 26 -->47 (woohoo!!! I was worried about my very low good cholesterol before)
Triglycerides: 131 --> 74

Very VERY happy about getting my cholesterol in line. It wasn't necessarily scary bad, but at 37 years of age, not where I wanted it to live a long and healthy life.

Keep on eating that fat! :-)

-Tom

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Congrats...Great job! You should post this in the main success story section. Let more people know that Low carb isn't bad for every one.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Congrats...Great job! You should post this in the main success story section. Let more people know that Low carb isn't bad for every one.

I second that emotion
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My husband's company has a similar program, and we both had complete physicals done back in November for it. It was the first time I had ever had my cholesterol checked. I hadn't been doing low carb for nearly 2 years at the time, but they weren't horrible results luckily. I am more eager to see the results when I go back this year!

Great job and I love when people have proof like this that low carb works!!