Gelatin anyone?

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I know bone broth is the best way to get gelatin/collagen and mend your digestive tract. BUT, I've been reading about using gelatin as a supplement and I wanted to try it. How? Do any of you use it, and how do you do it? I don't drink smoothies, so that's out for me. I saw something online about mixing it into your coffee, but when I did that I had a blob in the bottom of my cup.

Any tips? What benefits did you see?

Thanks all!!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put it in my coffee. Along with the coconut oil and butter, I blend it in with an immersion blender. It mixes in well but solidifies if you let the coffee get cold. The gelatine also sticks on everything and takes some care to clean off.

I don't do it all the time so I didn't notice any specific, mind blowing effects.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here is an article I saw this morning concerning gelatin:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/02/02/gelatin-worth-the-hype/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was looking through the Wellness Mama blog the other day and happened across this recipe, which I think is a good use of gelatin - homemade chewable vitamins - http://wellnessmama.com/6357/chewable-vitamins/
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of broth...but...*gasp*...my kids don't enjoy taking broth every day...so I make them this stuff:
    http://www.cheeseslave.com/homemade-jello/
    It's a yummy/easy way to get more gelatin!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and the links to what I can actually make with gelatin. I've had 2 mornings of success. First morning I dissolved it in a small amount of coffee, then added the rest of my cup. This morning I dug out my immersion blender and made BP coffee and blended the gelatin into that. I think I'm onto something!

Side note - now that I've used a blender for my BP coffee I see what all the fuss is about! Yummmyyyy!! I've been just mixing it up with a spoon. Definitely not the same.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and the links to what I can actually make with gelatin. I've had 2 mornings of success. First morning I dissolved it in a small amount of coffee, then added the rest of my cup. This morning I dug out my immersion blender and made BP coffee and blended the gelatin into that. I think I'm onto something!

Side note - now that I've used a blender for my BP coffee I see what all the fuss is about! Yummmyyyy!! I've been just mixing it up with a spoon. Definitely not the same.

Yes! Emulsification is everything! I didn't like BP coffee until I figured that out! I was stirring it or shaking it and it didn't cut it. My immersion blender sits on the counter all the time... I even bought a really fancy shmancy expensive one at Christmas to replace my other dying cheapo one. Love it! And when my counter top blender sucks (most of the time) the immersion blender takes over for it too.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Funny you should post this! My Great Lakes is due to be delivered today. I'm excited to try it out. Going to make some "jello" treats with it this week. I've had joint issues in my hands for a long time and I'm hoping this will help me.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Any tips? What benefits did you see?
    I have been making broth and also adding a desert spoon of gelatine to my food for the past two years. I no longer am plagued by tendonitis, my knees are stronger and I can now walk up steps normally. Also my finger nails are much stronger. Dr Cate Shanahan's books 'Deep Nutrition' & 'Food Rules' are my diet bibles.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I too put it in my bulletproof coffee. It had very quick effect on my achy knees.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    "Any tips? What benefits did you see?"

Try to get some gelatin everyday. I don't get sore after a workout if I drink broth every day. Good quality gelatin in your morning coffee will do the same thing. I do broth because it's something I have around and don't have to buy the gelatin.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've only been adding it to my coffee (or occasionally my tea, if I'm not in a coffee mood), in the hopes of helping heal some nagging shoulder injuries. I purchased the Great Lakes brand, based on recommendations I'd read. It's like eating primal - I notice the differences more when I don't follow it! I think my left shoulder healed up faster, and I could definitely tell a difference when I don't have my gelatin on the weekends - my shoulder would be all achy. I also drink bone broth (or use it to cook), but it doesn't seem to be as effective (my guess is not as much of the same amino acids).

I'd like to find other ways to ingest the gelatin besides in my coffee - I'd make the jello (I've seen wellness mama's recipe before), but I'd have to eat a lot of it to get the same amount of the collagen as I do in my coffee (1 T/day - something like 2 c. of jello if I remember correctly?).
  • giorama
    Options
    I also do a lot of bone broth; however I take extra gelatin every day. I take 1 tsp mix it in cold water enough to dissolve it and mix well. THEN I stir in the coffee or pre-steeped tea. Works great! Improves wrinkles too :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I stick it in my coffee, tea, smoothies and soup. When I put it in something like coffee or tea I soften it first. With coffee I just stir it into my creamer and let it sit a few minutes before pouring the hot coffee in. When doing tea I use a little cold water instead of the cream. If you do that you're less likely to have a big glob of stuff in your beverage.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Woah. This thread is blowing my mind. I'm not a huge broth fan, but I am so eager to try some gelatin in my coffee and make some jello :)