Stopping increase in weight to work on form?

Options
Hey everybody,

I'm quite new to the program and I have a question regarding Stronglifts 5x5. I've been increasing weight for the two weeks that I've been doing the program, except the bench press where I'm not able to lift more than 25 kg.

At the moment I squat 30 kg, but I've noticed that I don't go as low as before and that I have toruble holding my upper body straight and upright when doing the weights. I can still squat the weight though, but I was wondering whether I should keep the 30 kg and work out with that weight until my form is perfect again or should I keep adding wight until I'm unable to lift it. What do you guys think?

And another question: how long are your breaks between the sets? I'm asking because I'm wondeirng whether taking longer breaks would help me with keeping my form and being able to lift more at the same time.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    if you can't squat to parallel with the weight, you're not squatting the weight! We do low bar squats though so your body should not be straight and upright! the bar stays above the centre of your foot at all times, which means that you will be leaning forward a bit (and it will feel like more than that to you). The book 'starting strength' by Mark Rippetoe (free squat chapter on kindle or kindle emulator!) goes into the specifics and lots of helpful diagrams etc.

In general, I'd say get the form right first, then work on it. however if you generally have good form but it suffers under heavy weights, sometimes you just have to work through that. You are just starting though, so this is a key time - the movement patterns you learn now will carry right across.

Can you post some videos?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Try working of mobility/flexibility as accessory work to help get you get down to parallel as the weight gets heavier. For the core stability, you can add some additional core work to bring it up in strength quicker. There are differing opinions on the benefit of additional core work when doing compound movements. Some say that the core will strengthen enough during the lifts and extra work isn't necessary. I take the approach that the core is the basis of all that we do. Have a strong core and you can focus on other details of the lift.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I always video my lifts to make sure my form is perfect and that I'm at least hitting parallel. Try this

If you aren't hitting parallel then deload to work on form. I've done this many times.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure your form is good and you're at least hitting parallel. It's easier to do while you're at lower weights. Any deficiencies you have in form will show up under heavier weights.

As for rests, I usually only do a minute or so for warmups, but anywhere from 1.5-2.5 minutes during working weight sets.
  • FittinglyFit
    FittinglyFit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to film myself, since I train alone at the gym and feel uncomfortable asking a stranger there to film me.

But it's good that you guys mention hitting parallel. I do go below parallel, but I remember reading that you should go really low and I haven't gone as low as I used to recently.

Any tips for strengthening my core? Should I be doing sit ups or training my back or both?
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I film myself at the gym! I stick my phone in a spare shoe (I have lifting shoes now) and prop it on something! before I did that I wedged it on a stack of weights. You can find a way (or ask a member of staff, they will be cool filming you :) )

re depth - I'm going to harp on about starting strength it as all the pictures and explanations you need! but hip joint needs to be just below patella (knee joint) - basically so the -tops- of your thighs are parallel with the ground.

re core, do a search for 'the crazy lady's crazy core exercises' (I think) - there's a bunch in there!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually deloaded to work on form and have seen a marked difference in my form and the weight I can lift.

My squats I deloaded 30lbs made sure I got parallel and realized how much it affects my core last night at 145lbs...maintaining form is important to properly and legitimately increase weights.

145lbs is heavy and by me getting atg it felt heavier then the 160 and worked my obliques, glutes etc more.

I have been playing with my stance as well tho...I find I prefer a wider stance, feet pointed out and it is easier for me to get atg that way.

If you find your form is not what you want stay at that weight, if I had to do it again that's what I would do.

And yes I prop my phone too to get the recordings.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1035103-the-crazy-core-lady-s-crazy-core-exercises

Here's a quick link to the core thread. Thanks Lydia for making it a sticky.

Additional core work is not 100% necessary and not everyone sees the need for it. I'm an odd ball and a bit crazy so I love doing core work. It can be as simple as some crunches or as difficult as a series of burpies into toes to bar leg lifts. Do as much as you feel you benefit from.