The Open

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not competing but I'm VERY excited to see what they throw at the athletes this year!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to. It was my plan. But I have two issues.

1. We will be away for the first one and don't think we will be able to do it/enter it.
    2. I'm pregnant.

My husband didn't sign up because of #1.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I don't even expect to finish one workout RX, but I will do the best I can.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I did.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm in it for the third year in a row
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I don't even expect to finish one workout RX, but I will do the best I can.

Thanks. I'm still crossfitting (with my doctor's approval) I just take it easier. Lighter weights and I'm much slower, which I'm ok with.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm all signed up - Looking forward to it !!!

*This will be my 2nd Open*
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Too much of a noob.

Good luck to you all!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    In it for the first time. Ready to see how I officially stack up.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me what the open is? They were talking about it at the box on Tuesday. I should have asked then but didn't.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Can someone explain to me what the open is? They were talking about it at the box on Tuesday. I should have asked then but didn't.

It is part of the CrossFIt Games. Everyone can compete. It starts with the open, anyone who wants to can register online. Each week a workout is released. You do the workout at a CrossFit affiliate or you video it and send it in to be scored (there are strict guidelines). Your score is logged online and you can see how you compare to others. At the end of the open, the top people from each region go on to Regionals. After Regionals would be the final CrossFit Games.

From CrossFit online
    "The 2014 season begins with the worldwide Open competition. Everyone in the world is invited to compete in five workouts over five weeks, posting their scores online in real time. Last year, almost 140,000 athletes competed in the Open.

Every Open workout needs to be validated to count. Competitors will have two options to validate their performances. They can work out at a local affiliate, where they will be judged in person, or they can submit video evidence of their performance to the entire community. There is no limit to the number of attempts an athlete can make, provided the score is submitted prior to the close of each week.

Competitors will be ranked both worldwide and by region. The fittest 48 men, 48 women, and 30 teams from each region will earn invitations to one of 17 Regionals. This is the first chance athletes will have in 2014 to establish their international standings."
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

It is part of the CrossFIt Games. Everyone can compete. It starts with the open, anyone who wants to can register online. Each week a workout is released. You do the workout at a CrossFit affiliate or you video it and send it in to be scored (there are strict guidelines). Your score is logged online and you can see how you compare to others. At the end of the open, the top people from each region go on to Regionals. After Regionals would be the final CrossFit Games.

From CrossFit online
    "The 2014 season begins with the worldwide Open competition. Everyone in the world is invited to compete in five workouts over five weeks, posting their scores online in real time. Last year, almost 140,000 athletes competed in the Open.

Every Open workout needs to be validated to count. Competitors will have two options to validate their performances. They can work out at a local affiliate, where they will be judged in person, or they can submit video evidence of their performance to the entire community. There is no limit to the number of attempts an athlete can make, provided the score is submitted prior to the close of each week.

Competitors will be ranked both worldwide and by region. The fittest 48 men, 48 women, and 30 teams from each region will earn invitations to one of 17 Regionals. This is the first chance athletes will have in 2014 to establish their international standings."

Thank you!!! Does all workouts have to be done at RX?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

From CrossFit online

Thank you!!! Does all workouts have to be done at RX?

I didn't take part last year so I can't remember but I think yes.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Mrs Wronkletoad and I are signed up, too!

and ^^ yes, you must perform the movements Rx; however, they've been set up so it's possible to get some reps in for each WoD. Check out old open WoDs on the xfit site.

Even for newbies, it's fun just to play along. Don't find lame excuses "I'll be last" or some garbage like that. You're not "last" by trying and getting in there. It's really cool just seeing people give it their all and having some fun.

Just those two elements make it a de facto success for participants.

Advice, however, is to BE CAREFUL. DO NOT RISK INJURY! Use this year to set the benchmark, and go from there. Revisit some of the WoDs later in the year to demonstrate your progress (such as a six month check in next Aug/Sept). You'll be amazed!

good luck to all!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I’m in for the second year, excited to see if I can improve my placing over last year. As everyone has mentioned yes you have to do the workouts RX for your score to count, but I saw so many people surprise themselves last year including myself. The last workout was thrusters and chest to bar pull-ups, and I had never successfully done a C2B Pullup in my life. Two days before I was practicing and did one successfully. Flash forward two days to when my gym was doing the workout I managed 13 in the workout. Not great by any means but well over what I thought I was going to do and I know it was because of all the people watching and the competitive atmosphere. We also had several people get there first muscle up in 13.3 (and that was after 150 wall balls and 90 doubleunders). I’m hoping that is me this year!
  • mattowan
    mattowan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Signed up after not doing last year due to being in between boxes. Trying yet again to try to stay disciplined to using this app. Going out to dinner makes it very difficult. Not to mention we make a lot of intricate recipes, but I'll do my best.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Since I can't do the open, I signed up for the judges course.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Mrs Wronkletoad and I are signed up, too!

and ^^ yes, you must perform the movements Rx; however, they've been set up so it's possible to get some reps in for each WoD. Check out old open WoDs on the xfit site.

Even for newbies, it's fun just to play along. Don't find lame excuses "I'll be last" or some garbage like that. You're not "last" by trying and getting in there. It's really cool just seeing people give it their all and having some fun.

Just those two elements make it a de facto success for participants.

Advice, however, is to BE CAREFUL. DO NOT RISK INJURY! Use this year to set the benchmark, and go from there. Revisit some of the WoDs later in the year to demonstrate your progress (such as a six month check in next Aug/Sept). You'll be amazed!

good luck to all!

hell if "i'll be last" was a legit excuse we almost all would have quit Crossfit after day 1!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Signed up after not doing last year due to being in between boxes. Trying yet again to try to stay disciplined to using this app. Going out to dinner makes it very difficult. Not to mention we make a lot of intricate recipes, but I'll do my best.

Grilled chicken salad, extra chicken.

Replace chicken with "steak tips" or whatever else they have on the menu.

or a Cobb salad, no cheese, add chicken.