AT HOME workouts...?

Options
leahhugh
leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
What do you do for workouts at home? Unless I want to go at 8pm and never see my husband, I don't go to the gym. I've had success with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, but I'm kind of getting bored of it.. Didn't like Insanity that much..

What do you do?! I'm trying to burn a little fat and tone up!!

Replies

• katewro
    Options
    I have done the P90X program, and I really enjoyed it! There are lots of pull ups and push ups, though, which made the first few weeks quite a challenge. Also, I search Pinterest for short workouts and tweak them to work for me. Often I will do 2-3 Pinterest workouts back-to-back to make a long enough workout. Good luck!
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I tried P90x, but yeah, it's rough and repetitive. I just got the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and same sort of deal. I use my Wii Fit game for some minor things, like improving my balance and posture, and doing yoga, and then use Pinterest/Tumblr workouts. There's also this workout from Nerd Fitness which is a good starting point: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Beginner Body Weight Workout:
    Warm up first!
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks
    Stretch

The workout I did last night was as follows:
    Warm up of course! I ran in place/around the room for about 5 mins.
    20 jumping jacks
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    10 calf raises
    5 push ups
    25 rep Russian twists
    10 squats
    20 high knees
    10 reverse crunches
    5 push ups
    10 calf raises
    15 sec plank
    20 jumping jacks
    10 squats
    10 sec side planks (each side)
    Repeat twice, or however many times you want!
    Stretch/cool down

If you keep moving the whole time and don't pause between exercises, it'll really kick your butt!
  • jackiecmc33
    jackiecmc33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zuzka Light's workouts! They are no more than 30 minutes (usually about 15) and are an awesome workout! Everything on her youtube channel is free!
  • vpeters28
    Options
    If you go to Hulu, ExerciseTV has a bunch of workouts of varying intensity. Not sure how long of a workout you normally do, but most of the videos seem to range from just a few minutes up to 30+ minutes (I think I have seen some hour long ones too, though those are mostly yoga).

Once I get my car/the rec center on campus opens up again, I will be going for group fitness classes, but in the meantime I have been using the ExerciseTV videos and have been pretty pleased with them. Only downside is that they have commercials that will pop up in the middle,lol.
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Butt exercise: search for 8 minute buns on youtube. I promise you it will show results. I actually love the whole 8 minute series (lega, abs, arms, stretching). Its from the 80's but it works!!!
  • welostparadise
    welostparadise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love doing level one of the thirty day shred by Jillian Michaels and playing Just Dance for around half an hour :-)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing Yoga in a yoga class for nearly 15 years now. Also did Pliates for a while. Once or twice a week. Over the last 4 years I have taken a few yoga routines from the internet and combined those with my own experience (what works for my body). Ever since then I start the day with a 15 minutes yoga routine. Helps me to wake up, gets my engine running before breakfast and has supported the rest of my regime.

Most of what I do is long walks and cycling and the yoga supports it because it helps my body position (and mind through meditation)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    check out
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.blogilates.com

search youtube. Or just find something you really love to do exercise wise and get some equipment for it. If I wanted to work out at home I would spring for some weight equipment.
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do 30-40 min of weights 3x/week at home, an app called Seven every day at least once, and the rest running or walking on an incline on the treadmill or running outdoors in better weather.
  • I recently downloaded the Nike Training Club app on my phone. It's free and has so many different great things about it. Most of which don't require any equipment, some just need medicine balls and dumb bells. You can choose areas of focus, whether it be lifting, cardio, or specific areas such as abs or legs, and then can choose how long you want ranging from 15 min-1 hour. I do them in my living room more often than not - even the 15 min workouts are pretty hard. Totally recommended!!!
  • anabet88
    anabet88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Check out Beachbody's Chalene Johnsons workouts...I love them all! TURBOFIRE and CHalene Xtreme so much fun
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I alternate between the 30 Day Shred and the NYC Ballet Workout when I don't make it to the gym. The NYC Ballet Workout (I recommend Vol. 2), is long at an hour-ish, but it's a great workout for flexibility and strength. It's available on youtube. It's more of an actual ballet class than a workout video, so it might be a bit more challenging if you don't have a dance background, but I promise it will work muscles you didn't even know you had!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love at home workouts. I have taken exercises I can do on the floor or against the wall and made two lists, complete with reps and sets and I check them off when I do them. I sometimes put on an exercise video, and turn off the sound, but instead blast something motivational. I don't do the exercise video, I just use it for motivation, also. I do things like push ups, planks, squats, lunges, isolated muscle groups, yoga postures, dance moves, calf raises, flutter kicks... things like that. When I get excited about the progress being made, I feel less bored with the routine- I want to see how many I can do this time. It is awesome to look at my list and see how many reps I have increased since I began. I hope this helps! The info in this thread is very cool, too. Gonna have to check out some of those videos. 8)
  • jacqfitz1
    jacqfitz1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have tried almost every at home workout and I find the best ones for toning up stubborn areas (thighs, hips, abs) are the Brazil Butt Lift videos and Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis. You also have to do cardio, so I like to jump rope, do jumping jacks or just running on a treadmill.
  • leen311
    leen311 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michael's videos. I also like the Blogilates YouTube channel, FitnessBlender YouTube channel, as Xhit YouTube channel.
  • chris011206
    Options
    I am in week 2 of the Jillian Michaels 6wk6pack- I find it challenging. Just waiting to see the results!!
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely Fitness Blender!
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I just started a group focused on home workouts. It's specifically for condo and apartment-dwellers, but all comers are welcome and the worksouts we're discussing will work in any home :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19640-condo-apartment-dwellers-unite
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing Yoga in a yoga class for nearly 15 years now. Also did Pliates for a while. Once or twice a week. Over the last 4 years I have taken a few yoga routines from the internet and combined those with my own experience (what works for my body). Ever since then I start the day with a 15 minutes yoga routine. Helps me to wake up, gets my engine running before breakfast and has supported the rest of my regime.

Most of what I do is long walks and cycling and the yoga supports it because it helps my body position (and mind through meditation)

This is me all over! I do a 20-minute yoga workout almost every weekday morning and 40-60 minutes on weekend days. It makes my day (and frankly my life, too!) SO much better.

Options
    I do burpees in intervals. Look it up on youtube to see how it is done. They are really tough when you begin, and your body will ache a lot the first few days. (Almost as if it pains to even move), but it works really well, and takes very little time and no equipment. I do it in intervals of 30 secs with 30 sec rest, and I repeat the cycle 20 times. It's a very good workout, and it seems to be working very well for me. I had done this in the past too, and it helped me drop a bunch of weight really easily. The best thing- it's HIIT, and it combines strength training with cardio. Best of all worlds in 20 minutes.